I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas FL 904-1
Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 03:25PM

Anyone know where I can find this Lamiglas one piece blank? Lamiglas no longer sells it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas FL 904-1
Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2018 10:03AM

I would contact James Green fly rods in CA. He makes custom fly rod blanks in yellow glass same color as the Lamiglas. They are unsanded but you could probably hand sand it if you want a smooth finish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 01:20PM

If your going to make an ultralight out of Lamiglas fly blank, be advised I've messed with them before, the 3 and 4 wt. glass blanks are way to floppy once you put on your standard set of spinning guides to be a decent spinning rod. Your dad's Cabelas/Fenwick was done on something more like a 6 wt. blank probably. The last multi-piece 3 wt. Lamiglas I did was ok only because the buyer let me put micro guides on it after I let him compare the different guide layups before wrapping.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:33PM

Thanks, David! That’s an excellent resource. I’ll definitely be looking James up!

Date: January 28, 2018 12:39PM

I’m forced to agree with you, Spencer. This is an older application than current techniques. The two sets of Sizematic ferrules, as well as the four or five double footed wire casting guides...will slow the action. Starting with something so loosy-goosey would be a mistake. Thanks for reminding me of this. That might’ve been a 200+ dollar F-up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 01:08AM by Raymond Faus.

Date: January 28, 2018 12:57PM

Uh oh, David...
I’ve been scouring the internet for a way to contact James Green. I’m beginning to suspect that he may longer be making blanks...or may no longer be with us.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 09:40AM

Try looking up his email on Fiberglassflyrodders he is J Green on there to private message.

If that doesn’t work contact Marty Romeo of Deep Bend Rodworks I received a J Green blank from him and he might have a blank or surely have James email to contact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 04:12PM by David Miller.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 12:21PM

Another manufacture that used to and possibly still does make yellow e glass blanks is Seeker in their sp line in Gold color. Mudhole would be the first place to check on that. I believe many of those Seeker sp models are based on old Sabre and Fenwick blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 05:41PM

Raymond, if I remember correctly there was an exhibitor at last year’s Expo that sold VintageTackle including old yellow Fenwick (and maybe Lamiglas) fiberglass blanks. You might be able to email Tom to see if he still has a contact for this exhibitor. I did not see the Vintage Tackle exhibitor listed for this year’s Expo.
Norm

Date: January 30, 2018 12:33AM

Thanks, Norm & David! I submitted an email to the expo for information, as well explaining my project and requesting any resources. Added: I plan on reaching out Cabela’s for more info on the the history of their kits. Hopefully...there’s someone in that company with some hidden knowledge on the reel seat. I’m thinking it was a Varmac knockoff...or OEM like the Fenwick blank, sold to Cabela’s in bulk without the Varmac engraving. If I have to, I’ll find an polished aluminum Varmac and have it anodized to the correct colors. As far as the blank goes, I’m confident that I can find someone to lay it up if I can’t find the correct blank. It may not have the exact same action, but with the ferrules and double footed wire casting guides, as well as the wraps that my father did way too long, it should be enough to slow down a blank which may be a bit too fast. I’d be more concerned with selecting a blank that was way too whippy...like some of the Lamiglas blanks. A medium action blank with four guides should slow a medium blank down. Although, I’m completely inexperienced with ferrules and what they may do. Stiffen? Slow? I’m also assuming they’re gonna add to the overall length of the rod by a few inches.

I can’t say thank you enough to you and everyone else who’s provided assistance and wisdom. It really means a lot to me. It won’t be forgotten when I write about my journey...

-Raymond

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster