I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CA finish
Posted by: Gerald Flack (100.6.191.---)
Date: January 25, 2018 02:43PM

Built a full wells grip using red pine bark rings and finished with CA. I was told recently that CA is not a good finish for a rod grip because of moisture durability. Is this true and if it is, can I top coat with Permagloss?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CA finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2018 04:37PM

Technically it is true. However, I have had Morris Schlesinger tell me that pens he's made and coated with CA seem to hold up for years on end. Granted, he's not using them in a harsh exterior environment, but I think if I were you I'd just use the rod grip as is and see what happens. If it were to wear or show problems down the line, you already know how to sand it off and recoat with something else. In other words, here's a great opportunity to find out if CA will work for you as an exterior grip and handle coating.

Date: January 25, 2018 05:01PM

Thanks Tom, I'll do that.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: January 25, 2018 07:31PM

CA is a great finish for things that don't stay out in UV for any extended periods of time. I've done quite a few with CA and had most of them craze or crack to the point that you can't see the wood under the finish. I have quit using CA for that reason.

Date: January 25, 2018 08:24PM

What are you using in place of the CA?

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 09:49PM

I do a considerable number of reel seat inserts and grips a year, and also found out as Mark did the downfall of using it, Initial outcome looks great, but ends up being very shor lived. CA is hard and brittle, subject to cracking with moisture seeping thru the cracks and ruining them. My process has gone to dipping with Marine spar urethane. It is both UV protectant and allows for enough flex, since all woods tend to expand and contract with the elements

Ron Weber

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2018 09:52AM

Would a few layers of Permagloss make a CA finished reel insert usable? I think I might have a couple of inserts finished with CA. Is there a way to salvage them?

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2018 02:27PM

I quit using it too, sometimes it worked and sometimes it turned to poo-poo. I've been using spar varnish too. If it's good enough for Ron, it's certainly good enough for me.

Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2018 07:56PM

I use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil; anywhere from 4 to 10 coats; hand rubbed then buffed lightly with steel wool in-between coats. Last coat I don't buff with the steel wool because I prefer a semi-gloss finish. Tru-Oil is used on gun stocks and really brings out the grain on cork handles, especially burl cork. Results in a nice warm, semi gloss on inlays,i.e, exotic woods, buffalo horn, copal amber, and other trim rings and spacer materials that are inlaid on handles. Holds up to moisture, doesn't crack or fade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 07:57PM by Eric Egee.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 12:06PM

Ive used Lumiseal on a cherry handle and it seams to hold up. Any urathane with a uv will be fine. I might just try the spar urathane method as it seams like a good idea.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 01:47PM

Gerald

Used CA once and never again.

Have build several pine grips and a bunch of faux wood and birch bark fly rod grips from cork for fly rods using Tru-Oil or stained bark and cork subsequently finished with Tru-Oil. Have found Tru-Oil to be durable (no peeling or cracking), is easily repaired if badly worn (takes a bunch of use to wear the finish), and the finish sheen from matte to gloss is easily obtained.

The Tru-Oil downside is that it requires time and multiple applications to build up the finish, usually 8 to 12 very thin coats, and usually 2 coats per day sanding between each application. Maybe 3 applications per day if the drying conditions are ideal. The process is similar to a French polish - minimal amount of Tr-Oil applied, allowed to cure, finish is leveled using 0000 steel wool or 400 paper, and then repeat.

Another attribute that can be either benefit or disadvantage is Tru-Oil, similar to long-oil spar varnish, has a very light amber color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster