I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizematic ferrules and old Cabela’s fiberglass rod building kits.
Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 01:33PM

In 1975, the year I was born...my father built a 7’ Cabela’s honey colored spin casting trout rod. It came with a blank that he had to cut for Sizematic ferrules, three pieces. It had four or five wire casting guides, a dark brown tiger style thread, a green & gold Varmac style reel seat, and came with the cork grips. I used to covet that rod as a child! Especially with that Dam Quick 220 he used with it!
In the years since my father’s passing, I’ve built a couple of similar rods, but never with the Sizematic ferrules or that honey blank. I’ve found 2 piece honey blanks and painted other fiberglass blanks...but never a one piece, nor have I been able to come up with the ferrules. The Euro green reel seat is a pipe dream, so I’ve used the PacBay black & gold as a modern alternative.

So...with all that being said, anyone out there have some of these Sizematic ferrules, an appropriate rod blank for cutting down (I suspect the original was a Fenwick knockoff), or that reel seat? Know someone whom knows someone? Anyone hiding one of these Cabela’s kits away...waiting for a guy like me to seek it out?

Tight lines my friends!
-Raymond

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizematic ferrules and old Cabela’s fiberglass rod building kits.
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 03:36PM

Are the sizematic ferrules gold anodized aluminum with an O ring to keep things snug? If they are they were probably made by feather light. I have several sets in various sizes. If you want them you can have them.
Norm

Date: January 25, 2018 05:01PM

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!!! How would we arrange that? Yes, they’re with the male end o-ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 05:02PM by Raymond Faus.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 06:25PM

Just email me. Click on my name for my email.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 06:37PM

Schneiders to the left has some Featherlite maroon ferrules, and various others in their "Hot Specials" section.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 08:06PM

Ray, Can you send me a picture of the reelseat your looking for. I may have something for you.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 25, 2018 09:36PM

Thanks, Spencer. I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for looking out for me!

Date: January 25, 2018 09:37PM

Pic sent, Dennis. Thanks!

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2018 09:44PM

i, too, really liked the quick XX0 series of reels. precision personified.

Date: January 27, 2018 02:07AM

Agreed. The 110, 110N, 220, and 220N’s were incredibly tough and mechanically simple with that worm drive. I own about twelve of them which get used exclusively for trout & bass. I’ve been obsessed with them since childhood. Sometimes the old ways of doing things are the best...or at least, my favorite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster