I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Renzetti Rod Lathe - motor rotation direction
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 09:26PM

lol....or.....you can figure 8 the vee belt lmao

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2018 09:51AM

If you figure 8 the V-belt you better lay in a large supply of belts. They tend to burn themselves up when run that way.

Date: January 26, 2018 10:26AM

I know 2 people who are lefties that figure 8 the belts, and they never had an issue. The belts are like $8 anyway, he can buy 10 of them instead of a new motor, lol. And he can get up and running in 4 seconds. YOu don't need a longer v belt either, you just adjust the alignment so th belt goes on different steps on teh pulley - and dont have the tension super high, which it shouldn't be anyway

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 07:48AM

Billy,
I read your comment on using an 8 on the belt and I understand the comment.

If, the belt is a round rubber belt, I have seen folks 8 the belt and get away with it.

However, in the case of this power wrapper, the belt is a kevlar 1/8th inch wide very stiff V belt. I suspect that if a person tried to use this belt in an 8 configuration, it would be a tough job and the belt short lived.

-------------------
But, rather than V the belt, or fuss with the motor mounting, I still maintain that the best solution is to obtain either the clock wise running motor that I listed initially, or the double ended motor that I also listed initially.

The few $$ that are spent on a different motor - will be forgotten after the first few hours of simple and trouble free use.

What ever you decide to do, please take some pictures and post your results of your wrapper in its final configuration.

Good luck

Date: January 28, 2018 09:25AM

You can suspect all you want, as I said I know 2 people in real life who actually are figure 8ing their belts and neither of them have had an issue. One of them had his Clemens lathe since the 90's and has built hundreds and hundreds of rods on it. HE's had to replace 2 motors and a foot pedal, but teh $8 vee belt is still going strong after all these years.

Date: January 28, 2018 10:36AM

Billy,
I appreciate the update.
I suppose that as much as anything with my engineering background - I like to do things to get the best out of a piece of equipment.

I simply appreciate the clean look of an uncluttered mount and a clean, non friction drive system.

Have a great day.

Date: January 28, 2018 10:45AM

HAtsa fine, but he just spent $1100 on a new machine he can't use, and adding an addtional $100+ to that cost bfoe he's built a rod. And nobody mentions that the motors often burn out - I don't want to jinx myself but my current one has been good for a ccouple of years. BUt other high profile builders have had soem true horror stories regarding teh amount of motor they go through, all Dayton motors. THes posts pop up on FB from time to time, and I try to ignore them so my motor doesn't see that his other motor buddies go on strike lol

Date: January 28, 2018 11:14AM

I read and understand your comment.

But whether he spends $1100 on a machine or $1200 on a machine, it is pretty much a wash; so one may as well get one that looks like it was designed to be used don't you think.

------------------------

Good luck

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-134.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 11:02AM

Roger,
I elected to go with the 2m034 instead of modifying the motor bracket. All I have to do is place the motor bracket on the opposite side, mount the motor, and I’m done. Thanks to everyone who replied to this post -. I’m really surprised it hasn’t come up in the past a number of times!
Thanks,

Jon Hood

Date: January 29, 2018 11:39AM

Jon,
I agree with your choice. It certainly seems to be to be the best option.

By the way, I have modified some of these units by replacing the AC motors with reversible direction DC motors. But that is an entirely different story.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-3.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 08:34AM

Roger,
What is the advantage of the DC motor?

Thanks,

Jon Hood

Date: January 30, 2018 05:12PM

Jon,
If talking about a DC gear motor there are a couple of advantages.

1. A DC motor is reversible - simply by swapping the power leads. This is easily accomplished by a simple correctly wired switch.

2. If using a Gear style motor, the entire compact gear train is part of the end of the motor. As a result, one can use a small 2 inch pulley on both the motor and on the head stock and get a 1:1 drive with no additional gear reduction required.

If using a small DC gear motor which is very suitable for wrapping and drying - is not suitable for any sort of grip shaping. Both too low powered and with the gear train - runs too slowly.

Good luck.

p.s.
If you don't mind - please post a picture of your complete wrapping in operation with the new motor.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 05:39PM

OK,
You have my peaked interest - what motor and power source?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: February 07, 2018 04:14PM

Roger,

Is there a DC motor that you know of that will fit on the Renzetti motor mount without having to machine a different mounting bracket?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster