I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide size choices
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: January 24, 2018 10:54AM

When building a KR concept baitcasting rod, is there a line size threshold that would dictate moving up to a larger guide? For instance, I've used a RV6, KB 5, KB 4, KB 4, then KT 4s to the tip and found it perfect for 30 lb braid on a 7' inshore rod. I've also found it to work just fine with 17 lb mono on a similar rod. Would going to 50+ lb braid warrant a move to 5s or 6s? Or are 4s sufficient for most all baitcasting applications. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide size choices
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 11:13AM

If you are using a leader, the heavier the line the larger the knot is going to be. So depending on the knot used, you may or may not need to move to a larger size guide like a 4.5 or 5. Learn how to tie the FG knot; it is the thinnest and strongest braid to leader knot that I know of. If you are not using a leader a size 4 is fine. If you, or a friend, have a reel with 50+ braid on it try it on your rod and see how it casts.
Norm

Date: January 24, 2018 11:39AM

Thanks Norm. I'm using 4s on my inshore rod with 30 lb braid and a 25 lb leader, FG knot is definitely the only way to go. Works great!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 12:20PM

I use mostly use size 4.5 runners and they pass 30 braid with a 25 leader joined with an FG knot with no problem. Just my preference for 4.5 runners, I feel they give me a little more versatility with fewer downsides, but that’s the only reason.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 12:35PM

x10 on the 4.5 guides. Generally more versatile.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-147.myvzw.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 12:24PM

I use a 4.5 tip top with 4 runners. It helps with the knot where I usually have the most issues. Micro guides work well spiral wrapped also.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 07:04PM

on rods you not going to pass knotts through, these post from 9 years ago might provide some usful info

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 07:04PM

hit post button twice mistake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 07:05PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: January 26, 2018 08:35AM

Thanks Steve!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 01:00PM

Use the Fuji catalog instructions on the reduction guide setup, and the advice above for the runner sizes.

I have had trouble with some lines with the FG, so would go large enough on the guides to pass other more reliable knots. I believe the problems with the knot are with braids that either have a slippery finish added or for some other reason are slippery. Some recommend scuffing the finish off coated braids.

With slightly larger guides than the minimum the function of the rod will be minimally affected if at all, and as Roger says, more versatile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster