I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Villiain rod
Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-3.myvzw.com)
Date: January 24, 2018 10:08AM

A friend just purchased an Abu Garcia villain Rod with this wild looking trigger which I can only describe as holding at an angle it looks like a Atlanta braves hat A without the cross. He claims the guides are titanium micros and are also carbon wrapped to be lighter. What does carbon wrapped mean: is there such a thing as carbon thread or is it a carbon shrink wrap or something and where can I get one of these triggers save trading something for this rod and villainously cannibalizing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Villiain rod
Posted by: Brad Potter (---.fws.gov)
Date: January 24, 2018 10:17AM

Based on details here: [www.abugarcia.com] they reference a Fuji real seat. It looks like an Fuji ACS trigger seat with a slot/material removed from the trigger. I don't believe the "carbon wrapping" is referencing the guides, but the way the carbon blank is laid up. The guide wraps look like normal thread wraps.

Good luck.

Edit. I was looking at the Villian 2.0. The original version is here: [www.youtube.com]. References a C6 Carbon Infused reel seat and carbon wraps (my mistake above). Pretty unique looking reel seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 10:28AM by Brad Potter.

Date: January 24, 2018 08:30PM

Nice video brad, thanx for sharing - fancy rod with unique reelseat, big bass on the wall and alfalfa haircut. Anyone have any ideas on the carbon wraps?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 09:48PM

Unlike other Abu Garcia rods, I have not yet repaired a Villian rod, but I doubt very much that the guides are wrapped with a carbon fiber thread. I am sure the carbon wrapping referred to pertains to the carbon fiber weave seen on the surface of the the butt section of the rod. The unique looking split reel seat seen on the original version of the rod is not used in the Villian version 2, instead they use a Fuji ACS seat. This indicates to me that the original reel seat had some problems either with feel or durability forcing Abu Garcia to change reel seats.
Norm

Posted by: Calver Skrien (196.52.21.---)
Date: January 25, 2018 01:25AM

Thanks for sharing the video, Brad! It, at least, clarified a few things about the features.

Date: January 25, 2018 06:35AM

After looking at my last response it looks like I'm a real tool, I can assure you I am not. The first sentence of my response was an attempt of humor ha ha and the second was a question i wanted answered which printed alone is innocent enough. Put them together and it reads badly. Believe me calver I was happy to see the video and appreciate the time brad spent posting it which I have no idea how to post a picture or site. Now what about those carbon wraps? Oops did it again

Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2018 10:13AM

Finally got to see the villian rod. It sure looks good but even with that cutdown trigger it still weighs 4.3 oz on my scale. According to my friend the only way I will be getting that trigger from him is when he breaks it in half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster