I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote Quantity?
Posted by: Charles Backes (---.altitudega.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 12:45PM

Hey all.

I am about to do my first thread coat on my first rod. I have ProKote that is preloaded in two 12 ml syringes. I know that I need to use equal amounts of each and that I need to ensure that I mix enough for all wraps. I'm not sure how much to mix. Advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote Quantity?
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 01:35PM

? how many wraps.
you can mix more than just one batch to do a rod if your not agile enough to get them all coated at once because there are long wraps or you don't want to have footballs develop/drips
my rule for doing finish is I mix a 3-6 ml batch to do the large wraps first and continue on till I run out then mix another small to finish the small wraps all while the rod is in rotation and check for drips or footballing if to much finish was applied

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 01:57PM

What little experience I have in rod building, is with pro-kote. The first test wraps I did on an old trash rod we're coated in what I thought was good enough to be considered a 1:1 mix. I was wrong. 4 weeks later it was still rubbery. I mixed too small of a batch. Second test I did a 3 cc mix. The recommended lowest volume. It still took several day's to get somewhat hard. So I called mudhole tech and asked tons of questions. Turns out pro-kote is always softer than most other epoxies. It reduces damage from flexing wear and tear. Sunlight greatly helps the cure. (Being in Oregon, I don't got time for that). My third attempt was with an actual build. I got super accurate with a 4cc mixture, temperature of the room, and coating technique. Nailed it. Still mildly soft after 3 days. But firm with just a slight nail mark if digging a nail in it on day 5. Nail mark heals itself in few minutes. Very happy with it. I would say, play it safe. 3-4 cc with plenty leftover.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-235-136.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 02:19PM

As Matthew states it depends the type of rod and the number and length of the wraps For a normal bass rod with no decorative butt wrap, I usually mix 1.5 ml of each, and have some left over. If I need more, then I mix up another batch. ProKote has a pot life longer than most other epoxy brands, so you do not need to rush. I rarely if ever mix 3 ml each of the the resin or harder. I tend to mix only what I need. Hate to waste things. My opinion and it works for me.
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-235-136.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 02:50PM

Concerning Derek’s comment. ProKote’s long pot life also means that it takes longer than usual to harden, and the final finish is usually softer than most. It is also prone to mixing and measuring errors and crystallization at low temperatures. My favorite finish is Tread Master, but it does have a shorter pot life but that is ok with me. It set up quicker than most, gives a harder and more durable finish, and is less prone to mixing errors and crystallization. Although I have not tried it, Billy Vivona mixes both ProKote and Treadmaster together at a 1:1:1:1 ratio and gets a finish that is intermediate between the two. I have to admit I’ve had very few measuring and mixing errors over the years. The only time I have had problems is when I get distracted and mix hardener with hardener or resin with resin. Just take your time, don’t get distracted and measure accurately. Since you are using prefilled syringes you should have no problems.

Date: January 21, 2018 04:10PM

This is a 7' spinning rod with 10 guides and about a 6 inch butt design. To be on the safe side, I guess I will do a 4:4 mix to make sure I have enough. I live in South Georgia and the weather looks great tomorrow so it should be a good day for my inaugural coat! Thanks for the advice guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 04:11PM by Charles Backes.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 04:37PM

Charles,

Mix 3 ml of each, Resin & Hardener. You'll get a better mix and it will be plenty to do your rod. I don't ever mix less than 3 ml of each, even when just doing a repair job.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 04:38PM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: January 21, 2018 04:42PM

Got it! Thanks Don.

Date: January 21, 2018 04:42PM

Got it! Thanks Don.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-20.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 09:18PM

Donald R Campbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charles,
>
> Mix 3 ml of each, Resin & Hardener. You'll get a
> better mix and it will be plenty to do your rod. I
> don't ever mix less than 3 ml of each, even when
> just doing a repair job.

I do this. 3ml each (6ml total). Make sure you mix past the milky / swirly point when it turns clear again and mix a little more till it starts to form more bubbles. Poor onto a paper plate lined with aluminum foil. Make sure your room is about 65 F or warmer, anything lower will slow the hardening even more. I also warm my epoxy before mixing together.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: January 22, 2018 05:27PM

I use Prokote exclusively. I mix mine using a stainless steel .5 teaspoon measuring spoon. Fill with part A level, scrape out as much as you possibly can with stir stick. Fill part B again level. The tiny amount of residual part A will guarantee you never get a larger part B mixture, and I have never had any issues with non curing finish. This method worked with Threadmaster prior to switching to Prokote as well.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 05, 2018 03:23AM

I'm not an expert builder but I find if I mix 2-2.5ml of each is enough for an average 7ft rod for the first coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster