I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halibut blank help... Newbie
Posted by: Derek Becker (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:21PM

Hello Everyone,
I need some help. I'm new to rod building and not super knowledgeable on blanks. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I want to build a Halibut rod for myself. I've never been a bud fan of really short super stiff rods and want to find a blank that is around 6'6" to 7'6" at the most. I would like a fairly sensitive tip, good flex to the rod but have great back bone. Is this unrealistic? I've read some tuna jigging rods can work, but I don't know. I've never tuna fished. Being this will be my third build, I don't want to break the bank on a blank but I'm not opposed to bucking up a bit if it fits the desired attributes. I've been looking at Gator glass and the TX3 jigging rods.
Here are the fishing conditions. We usually fish 36 or 48 oz weight, with 60lb mainline, in about 150' - 600' deep water. Fish are usually 30-60 lbs but potentially larger. I guess you could say a lighter action with all things considered, but with a solid back bone. Please tolerate my ignorance and educate me.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halibut blank help... Newbie
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:57PM

Rainshadow RCKJB 600 or 606-325., or go to the 606-250 for more fun. All are skinny things with brutal strength and nice sensitive tips. I know Utmost Enterprises gets them from Batson's in one day if they are in stock, and I bet they are. Great blanks, good price and perfect for our northwest butts.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 09:55PM

Rainshadow TS66MH, has been a mainstay for over a decade for myself and customers I've built for. SWB70H is a blank I've also used and built on for fish 100 pounds and lighter for many years before that.

Date: January 21, 2018 10:58AM

Those look like great choices.
Grant, on the 606-250, though it's lighter, will it have the needed backbone if I hang into a bigger than 60# fish? I'm pro light action but don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
For the record, I've been known to catch seabass on a 6' ultralight trout rod with 6# test. Firm believer in having fun with the catch.

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:04AM

Some other well known blank suppliers also provide alternatives.

Have a look at the following:

Seeker
North Fork Composites
United Composites

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 11:37AM

Get your line and bait/lure situation figured out for the current and depth you fish and you can venture into lighter weight gear and all graphite rod blanks like a musky blank. Batson had some rods that they caught 'buts on with good results, if my memory is still good one was a IMU76XXH, they've gotten oversize stugeon on them also. If you can't find any specs on the discountinued IMU blanks to help you maybe correlate to other blanks pipe up and someone will pull out an old catalog.

Date: January 21, 2018 01:12PM

I think so. My biggest is 67 and that was on a tough stick (66mh). To me, anything over 30 is just work, may as well use a rail rod and electric reel. The 250 would be fun and get the job done. I have several RCLJB's on local boats and have had no complaints. With the way our halibut seasons are going, it's nice to have one rod for halibut and the same one for bass and lings on the way back.

Posted by: Derek Becker (---.sub-174-224-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 09:14PM

Well after researching the mentioned blanks, I've decided to go with the 606-250. I guess the nice thing about rod building is, if you don't like it, it gives you an excuse to build another...but this sounds like a winner.

Date: January 21, 2018 11:10PM

I think you will be very happy with that blank. Check Utmost Enterprises for availability...good people, good price, excellent shipping costs.

Date: January 25, 2018 11:23PM

Grant,
I called Utmost Enterprises and spoke with Carol. Very nice and helpful. I ordered an rckjb606-250. It arrived today. I can't believe how perfect it is. It's everything I wanted. I'm so excited to build on this blank, I'm going to lose sleep just thinking about it and researching guides and spiral wrapping.
Thank you for your help and generosity.

Derek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster