I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6ft Heavy Cover Rod
Posted by: Joshua White (---.sub-174-218-9.myvzw.com)
Date: January 17, 2018 09:14PM

I am attempting to replicate the action, power and durability of a 6ft bass pro shops extreme rod. The rod is a 6ft med light fast action and I'd say it's very much closer to an actual medium power. The model is discontinued and a customer is looking for something similar to replace with. The rod is used for casting weightless soft plastics in extremely thick grass, pads and stumps with 50lb braid and no drag. The trouble is finding a blank that has the softer tip for ease of casting that ends with a let's say a slightly more powerful backbone than your average medium power rod while not exploding in your hands on the hookset. I've found a blank that cast and has the power he desires but they cannot withstand the forces applied. I've been told I basically need a "cheaper" blank with some glass for durability. Obviously I'd like my customer to have a good feeling rod and not an ugly stick. What's out there that might fit this build if any thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6ft Heavy Cover Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 11:59PM

What size hooks? What blank did you find?

Posted by: Joshua White (---.sub-174-218-3.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2018 08:05AM

Size 6 3X owner twist lock. I've built 4 on the MHX shooter series blanks. 1 medium heavy and 3 mediums. They are awesome little rods but just can't take that amount of strain. Any suggestions?

Date: January 18, 2018 07:52PM

Are you saying your blowing the rods up, or they just aren't stout enough?

Posted by: Joshua White (---.sub-174-218-3.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2018 10:06AM

The rods are snapping into.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2018 10:23AM

Medium powered freshwater rods are not designed to horse fish from heavy cover. Try a H or XH powered shooter blank. Might want to try the CRB IM6 IS601M it is designed for inshore fishing , has a soft tip so will cast fine but has more power in the butt and is quite durable. It is inexpensive and might fit the bill. [www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2018 10:54AM

Joshua, I am sorry, but those two blank models will not handle the pressure that seems to be applied to those rod blanks. The CS722-MHX a medium powered rod is only rated for 6 to 12 lb line and the CS723-MHX a med hvy powered rod is only rated for 8 to 12 lb line. It was listed in the original post that 50 lb braid was used in extremely thick grass, pads and stumps with the drag cranked completely down, with no slippage. A drag that does not slip, with 50 lb braid has to be used with totally different type rod blanks. As Norman stated, we do have the CS725-MHX and the CS726-MHX, which are hvy and x-hvy powered. Is there a particular reason the angler has to have a 6' rod? The reason I ask, it would really be best to have a longer rod, that is hvy or x-hvy power with a mod-fast flex tip. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Joshua White (---.sub-174-218-133.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 02:56PM

Bob and Norman thank you both for your responses I guess I can give you the long and then the short of it. Let's start with the long. This customer is 64 years old, a close friend and a very gifted angler that I've spent many fishing trips with. He has landed an incredible amount of 8-12lb bass in very junky water ( pads, dollar bonnets, coontail, mud mounds, cypress trees and stumps) with you guessed it a now discontinued 6ft bps extreme ML ( more like a medium power) casting rod and has never had a rod failure due to fighting a fish. So to question or doubt the tackle/setup is quiet counter productive. The reason he chooses this setup is to reduce wear and tear on a bad back and arthritic hands. The shorter the rod the less strain on his hands during the cast. I've jokingly mentioned how dragging fish out of cover all day doesn't bother him but casting a longer stouter rod gets him all fussy. He said he would hurt a day or so from catching fish but ain't gonna fish all day and catch 2 and be slap wore out. The water we fish is extremely target rich and our preferred method is quickly buzzing soft plastics across the surface covering as much water as possible as fish can be anywhere. There is absolutely no other tactic out there that requires the number of casts made in this form of fishing. It's chunk and wind all day among, around and under cypress limbs and trees. VERY repetitive. His lure of choice is a 4.5in producto buzztail shad holding an owner size 6 3X screw lock hook and a 1/64 oz pegged bullet weight I don't know how much that weighs but I do know a weightless super fluke casts substainstally easier. A medium power rod is perfect for flicking this bait accurately and repetively hours on end. So we've discussed why he prefers a 6ft rod and that the proper rod can and has for years withstood the pressure of big fish in heavy cover. I do however understand that a 6ft medium power rod is for lack of better words unconventional. Whether purposely or a coincidental design bass pro shops sold a rod that was everything my close friend, fishing partner and now customer needed in a rod. A 6ft rod with a light tip a strong back bone and able to handle the strain. Okay the short of it is look guys whoever made the blank for bass pro shops extreme series surely aren't the only folks that can make a 6ft medium that will not pop under these situations. No this rod isn't comparable in weight or sensitivity to the higher end blanks available but it was also not a dud fiberglass blank. These are the reasons we build rods to either recapture lost rods or reinvent our own creations. I'll leave it here. I'm completely blown away with responses saying it can't be done because I've seen it. Please guys keep it coming I respect all responses thanks a bunch

Date: January 20, 2018 03:35PM

I know this is mostly your typical advertising hype but hopefully maybe someone can pick something from the blank description that sounds familiar to an available blank. Claims also to be 60million module.
BassPro Shops® Extreme® Casting Rods are constructed using our exclusive RT3 graphite and feature Powerwall construction with an integrated exterior carbon slit wrap. This construction process creates strong, structurally enhanced rod blanks all with reduced wall thickness. The reduction in blank wall material minimizes the overall rod weight while enhancing sensitivity, making long days of casting more productive and enjoyable for anglers.

Our exclusive exposed blank reel seats with Soft Touch coatings maximize comfort and sensitivity. Bass Pro Shops' exclusive Power Hump handle is designed with ergonomic, form fitting contours that provide peak comfort. Lightweight cork grips enhance comfort and performance under any conditions. Fuji® guides with aluminum oxide inserts allow for smooth casts and durable performance. Finally, a split grip handle design reduces weight even further and provides greater control when casting. And those are just some of the reasons we named these casting rods for what they are: Extreme.
Powerwall construction
RT3 Graphite blank
Comfortable, lightweight cork split grips
Exclusive Power Hump handle
Soft Touch exposed blank reel seats
Fuji guides with aluminum oxide inserts

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 05:24PM

You may want to take a look at North Fork Composites new Delta line of blanks. I was doing some reading about them, and they may have the strength you're looking for. The problem is the 6' blank length. They list a 6'6" medium power, fast action blank (no lure weight rating listed) rated for 8 - 14 lb line. You could trim it to length, but you'd not only be slowing the action, you'd probably lose a lot of power as well. They also list a 6'9" medium heavy power, fast action blank (again no lure weight rating listed) that is rated for 10 - 20 lb. As mentioned earlier, you'd slow the action and lose power, but the higher power of the blank may leave you some wiggle room as far as how much power you'd lose.

NFC is having a 50% off through the factory sale on the blanks at this time. I will say that I have read on other sites, that the delivery date for Delta blanks purchased through the factory were reported to be in the 3 - 4 week range.

I'd post links to the sites I read, but I'm not sure of the etiquette dealing with posting links to non site sponsors, web sites. A simple Google search using the following Change is here: the NFC LMX-DELTA blanks will get you some good information as well as an a available link to the sale I mentioned earlier. I'm hoping that with Batson Enterprises being a board sponsor, and a distributor of NFC blanks, that posting such information is copacetic.

Through additional searches for a blank that may fit your needs, board sponsor Get Bit Outdoors offers a line of blanks from United Composites that may have a blank that fits what you're looking for.

One last thing ..... if you look at this sites forum list I suggest you look at the thread titled "NFC Delta Blanks" In it a site member made a recent post about receiving his Delta blanks. A post in that thread may get Robert to answer a question or two about the blanks themselves.

Good luck in your quest. As I am sure you know, that 6' rod length makes it a toughy.

Date: January 20, 2018 07:08PM

David is giving you some good advice. From what I have seen and heard about the new Delta blanks is that they are almost indestructible. The half price sale might be a good deal, I understand there is a flat $30 shipping fee no matter how many blanks plus some taxes. As David mentions they do not make a 6’ model, the 6’6” MB664 Delta is listed as medium power Fast action with a lure range of 1/4 - 5/8 oz. I personally do not like cutting blanks back, because as David mentioned it drops the power rating and slows the action. Might be able to get away taking a couple of inches off, but I would not do much more. This blank only weighs 1.66 oz, so it is going to be a lot lighter than the Bass Pro Rod he is currently using, so he might be able make an easy adjustment to a slightly longer rod. The list price is $85 so the sale price is $42.50, even with the shipping and taxes this may be a good deal.
Norm

Date: January 20, 2018 07:20PM

Here is a link to a previous discussion on Delta blanks, take a look at the video I posted in my post.
[rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 07:21PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 20, 2018 10:03PM

Thanks David and Norman. I actually had a very long conversation with NFC on Thursday. I explained in detail what I needed. They were willing to listen and very knowledgeable but would not suggest any of there blanks that were any less than a heavy action. Every company I've called has simply said we don't have a rod that is rated for that use and I feel like that is a very fair response. I've researched every manufacturer and spoke with all that offered anything remotely similar. I know the blank is out there. At this point either a builder is going to speak up for a blank that the designer was not willing to or we are gonna keep snapping rods till we find the one. Norman I made note of the CRB IM6 IS601M interesting that you mentioned that blank by the way. The fact that it weighs 1.35oz doesn't really seem to sit well what's your take on it. What's the likeliness of this fitting the bill St. Croix SC II 2C60MF. Seems to have a higher line rating.

Date: January 20, 2018 11:28PM

I’ve seen the listing, but I doubt very much that this CRB blank weighs 1.35 oz. that is lighter than many high end HM blanks, I would take that spec with a grain of salt, can’t believe everything you read :). I have built some low cost rods on CRB blanks and believe me the ones I’ve used were not that light. I also assure you that the 6’ ML Bass Pro Extreme rod your friend wants to copy would not be recommended for what he uses it for! He is using it outside of its recommended limits. However, if he wants to use a medium action rod in heavy cover that’s his prerogative, but he should expect the worse. If he wants to do this kind of fishing, he needs a rod that is either bullet proof or with a H power rating. I think the 6’6” NFC Delta blank might meet the criteria for being bullet proof for a M powered blank and the H or XH powered MHX shooter blank should meet the criteria for dragging fish from cover. The St Croix 2C60MF would be similar to the M shooter blanks you used previously, they also would not be recommended for heavy cover fishing. Did you look at the Delta blank video? That rod appears almost bullet proof.

Date: January 21, 2018 07:15PM

I thought that weight seemed off myself also. I am going to be building on the CRB blank or at least ordering it. I agree he needs a bulletproof blank and apparently they are or at least can be made. We first built on the MH Shooter blank and it did not cast very well with such a light bait so I'll stay away from anything heavier in the shooter series. The Delta series blanks do look tough and we might have to go that direction. Thanks for all the help

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 10:09AM

Joshua,
Your friend’s use of the 6’ rod may not be as dramatic and/or extreme as it seems. I can relate to being old (dinosaur) and favoring shorter rods. Most of my bass rods are 6 foot or less and although they provide increased leverage over longer rods, the shorter grips don’t usually allow as much force to be applied. Some of my fishing is much the same as described and I can even get by with 20# braid (Maxcuatro) without issues. My rods are all high-modulus and even though reputedly more fragile, I haven’t broken any fighting fish. I would think that several of the lower modulus rods mentioned would be satisfactory. I suspect you old-school friend’s skills will be adequate to the task.

Date: January 22, 2018 11:42PM

Thanks Jim for the moral support! We are still tweaking his grip length and seem to be shortening more and more each of his builds. He's always purchased factory rods and never had the opportunity to pick his grip length. It's looking like we'll end up back around 5.5in just enough to bruise the belly. Will be ordering 3-4 6ft mediums of different makes mid week to build on.

Date: January 25, 2018 06:30PM

Have you looked at the United Composites DHX blanks? As blanks go, very durable, don't know anyone who has ever broke one while bass fishing. My bass rods on them are nearing 20 years old, and my fly rods are the only rods I take into the bush in Alaska anymore, they always come back for more, year after year.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2018 04:26PM

Spencer, I thought the same thing as far as the the United Composites, DHX blanks go. I don't know anything about their durability, but the numbers on the DHX Dual Helix - UC60H look perfect for the type of rod he's looking to build.

Joshua, I'd be looking more at lure weight ratings for blanks, than I would at what a manufacture labels them as. IE ....... medium light, medium, medium heavy, etc ...... You're really looking for something that will cast the desired bait's weight. In your case, it's a fairly light bait, probably coming in around 3/8 oz total. Nice thing about short rods is they're pretty easy to cast baits with even if they're a little stiff in the tip.

Unless you're looking for a more moderately priced blank, that United Composites DHX that Spencer mentioned would be one of the ones I'd be looking at..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster