I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Smallest running guides for bass rods
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:00AM

David, look at the Abu lineup as well as a few others. The Abu lineup has claimed almost 24 lbs of drag since their inception. They are now on their fourth generation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:59AM

Thomas, thanks for pointing that out. That's the first I'd heard of a bass sized casting reel having a drag rating that high. It seems Phil isn't the only one guilty of not looking too hard. Interestingly, looking at several reels in Abu's lineup, their drag rating numbers are substantially higher (percentage wise) than the same sized reels offered by Shimano and Daiwa.

But I'm pretty sure you know that that wasn't the point I was trying to make in my previous post. <wink>

Oh ....... and according to Sheldon Cooper, Fig Newton cookies were named after a small town in Massachusetts, and not Sir Issac Newton. At least that's what he told Penny .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 01:08AM by David Baylor.

Date: January 20, 2018 09:47AM

Lol, I recall the episode!! I think quantum has some pretty high drag numbers as well as Okuma too. Haven’t looked in a while. Shimano and daiwa have never had ultra powerful drags in the smaller platforms. That is the reason so many guys put in smoothies and other carbon replacements.

Take care
Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 10:04AM

The question remains: Why use #50 or #65 pound test lines when you can only apply #25 of drag on a fish weighing half that? This looks suspiciously like image replacing reality.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:35PM

Phil, maybe they super glued al the drag components down..call it super drag..lol.

Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-136.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2018 12:41PM

I actually did indeed use 20 lb braid and even tried 20 lb Gliss line for punching the last two years but only with 3/8 to 3/4 oz weights. I use a special 7'9" stick I made with a lighter tip. Only broke off twice, first a biggun sawed me off on a stick and then I busted it when I got a hit and snagged a giant Lilly pad as I sissily set the hook.

Date: January 20, 2018 01:26PM

lol Tom, if you remember that episode then perhaps you remember Sheldon asking Penny why she was crying.

Penny's reply: "Because I'm stupid" to which Sheldon replied: "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and it makes me sad."

Anyhow, I love the older episodes of that show.

Phil, as far as your "the question remains" goes? I fear it's going remain for a long time. But look on the bright side ..... like me, you won't be losing any sleep over it ....

And finally, my apologies to the other participants and to members of this site that are simply reading this thread. I didn't mean to side track the discussion.

Date: January 20, 2018 08:55PM

David, if you wanna call me stupid go right ahead, I worry not. You going to the expo? Maybe we can talk it over then.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2018 09:38PM

You guys are absolutely awesome! And Phil, do some bass fishing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 09:42PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: January 21, 2018 05:17AM

Thomas? (perplexed look) ....... I'm not calling you stupid. Heaven forbid !!! I'm not calling anyone stupid. Please .... if what I posted lead you to believe that I was calling you stupid, then I need to offer you an extremely heart felt apology, because that is and was not the case. I was just trying to share a laugh with you.

It looks like I need to parse my words a little more carefully

Anyhow .... my apologies. I'm going to go kick myself now ....

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.89.---)
Date: January 21, 2018 09:36AM

David, then I humbly apologize and hope I wasn’t being ignorant. I will tell you I did get a laugh and then got aggravated. Again I too believe an apology is in order from me as well!!! No kicking needed!!!
Take care and look forward to seeing more of your posts

Tom

Date: January 21, 2018 11:04AM

Tom .... whew ..... I'm glad we got that cleared up. And no, you weren't being ignorant. Just a misunderstanding in a setting where it is sometimes easy to misinterpret the presentation of words. I'm guilty of such misinterpretations as well.

Ya know .... now that I think of it. Sheldon works in theoretical physics. Leonard is the applied physics guy. As the recent conversation is applied physics related, I should have been quoting Leonard. Maybe then we wouldn't have had this misunderstanding lol

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 21, 2018 02:43PM

Thanks, Lynn. I live less than an hour from the Saint Johns River in central Florida and there are probably 20 ponds with #10 LMB within 5 miles of my house. The shad are running in the St. Johns now and if I see a LMB pushing bait in the reeds there I will not hesitate to throw a fly at him!

Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-129.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2018 02:51PM

Ok now that everything's all good a question. are the alps pmk size 3 micros which I've never seen as nice a guide as tlsg 3.5 Fuji micros which I'm familiar with.

Date: January 21, 2018 11:34PM

Robert, when you say nice can you be more specific? The batsons have a much better foot that will resist pulling far greater than the Fuji. The Fuji May be lighter but the batson are far more durable. If you are looking to loose every extra ounce of weight go with the Fuji as your wraps will be smaller requiring less epoxy. I have gotten tired of fixing Fuji’s that pull out. I prefer the batson for the durability. If you need a side by side photo let me know, I have plenty of both.

Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 06:46AM

Thanks tom for the good info and I would love to see some pics of the two side by side or any other small micros that you do have. By "nice" I guess I just meant a lightweight guide I could wrap on and not worry about. Although the original purpose of this thread was to find a less expensive alternative to the tlsg 3.5 as my friends dont want to pay the price of titaniums.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 10:15AM

Robert,

Plenty of choices in guides that are not expensive. There are many guides available on the market today that only cost a dollar or two per guide or even less.

Of course, if you want, you can pay $20-$50 per guide if you want, so the choice is always up to you.

You simply have to ask the question, what does the $20 guide do for you, your client and the overall use for the rod. Does it really make any difference to you, the client or rod, if you build the rod with a $1 guide or a $20 guide? The answer is up to you.

Good luck

Re: Lighest running guides for bass rods
Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-97-44-192.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 12:10PM

I just want to find the lightest weight size 3 or 3.5 available.

Re: Lighest running guides for bass rods
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 02:15PM

Phil, I was thinking from a casting rod standpoint, I have no business in a fly rod conversation. No offense meant.

Date: January 23, 2018 04:14PM

Robert I will try to get ya some pics today. For the lightest stick w fuji

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster