I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lake trout ice jigging rod
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 06:08PM

What would I use as a search topic for info on this type of rod. I'm getting results for everything but.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lake trout ice jigging rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 06:35PM

I used the words:

ice trout rods

Here are the results:

[rodbuilding.org]

By the way, I have built a lot of rods for this application. I use the Batson salt water solid fiberglass blank that comes in a 6 foot length. Then, I cut only from the blank to get the desired length. I use Pac Bay minima guides in a spinning or casting style - depending on the wishes of the client. I use size appropriate guides, but for out of doors sub zero fishing clients, I never go smaller than size 8 guides to minimize icing issue. In extreme cases for the super hardy - I will not go below size 10 guides and tip top for the same reason.

A fish caught by a client using one of the rods described above on his first outing.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

About 1/2 of the rods shown in the following picture are the ice rods described above. They are typically 40-45 inches long depending on the clients wishes. All cork handle with tape used to attach the reel to the grip. The all cork grip with tape attachment gives the best rod with respect to the feel and warmth that one gets from using cork as opposed to a graphite reel seat that gets cold.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 16, 2018 07:35PM

Roger, you have solved my problem, i have stumbled on some of your previous posts on this subject. I may have some reel seat questions for you as well. Would you use double foot minima casting guides for these rods? Thank you very much. ( they will be casting style rods)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 09:43AM

Yes,
To the answer on the double foot minima casting guides. However, I would only use a double foot guide for the first one or two guides. After that, a single foot guide is just fine.

On a 40 inch casting guides, I would use either 4 or maybe 5 guides. Normally 4 guides is just fine for this length and rod action.

Good luck

Date: January 18, 2018 01:54PM

Thanks again Roger, I should have it under control.

Posted by: Austin Roach (63.241.111.---)
Date: January 25, 2019 07:47PM

Hey so this is the first laker rod im going to build and I havent ever experimented with casting reel seats what do you sugguest? What kind of spacing do you use for a split grip as well on a 40 inch rod is 10 inches too much or do you just suggest solid cork.

Thank You

Austin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster