I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting rod blanks
Posted by: Mike Tuma (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 10:27PM

I've have been reviewing all the different threads about painting rod blanks. But my problem is I don't have a spray gun. Is there an option out there for a spray can paint that works well for painting rod blanks? I'm trying to make a brightly colored rod tips to see the action on a fiberglass blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting rod blanks
Posted by: Mike Tuma (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 10:29PM

I see that mud hole used to offer some spray can paint but they no longer do. I am sure there is a reason for that

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 01:53AM

dupli color from automotive parts store Krylon , Rust Oleum home improvement store all are spray paints in a can

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Mike Tuma (172.58.87.---)
Date: January 16, 2018 09:00AM

These rods will be used in -25 degrees like last weekend. I am just afraid of the paint cracking and staying flexible in the cold.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 09:39AM

I live in WI. and have done this since the 60's YES it gets that and colder I still fish as much as I can weather not a factor today it is 16 with a wind chill of -7 going to be cold but will leave here at 10:00 am going for trout on lake Michigan and never never had a paint job on a blank chip peal or crack don't sweat it it works

all I have ever did was to wipe the blank down with either lacquer thinner or acetone wrap a loop of string/line around the butt end and over tape it with some masking tape hang the blank up so you can rotate it while you spray the blank, you have to be quick so you don't runs in the paint let it dry properly in a warm room temp of 70 or somewhere in that range and you will be good to go in a day or 2 depending on the paint you choose to use I prefer dupli color or Rust Oleum. but that is just me

one thing you can do but not necessary is to scuff the clear coat on the blank to provide more grip for the paint

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 01:46PM

Dupli color for dash boards has a flexing agent in it, you can get it at most auto parts stores. Some of it even has a clear coat built in.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 08:07PM

You could wrap the tip in a bright colored thread and coat it. I have used this for a friend and it works well.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2018 05:52PM

I use an air brush - it works great! I use only the paint I need.
As for the paint - I have great success with Createx wicked air brush paint used for automotive graphics as well as plastic RC car bodies which can flex but the paint won't crack.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 02:02AM

Rust oleum has worked for me. it goes on smoothly and evenly. I put 2-3 light coats on then clear on top.. I live in pa. and it gets that cold around here..

Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 11:53AM

I’ve had some success painting a couple of rods. I was trying to color match the honey colored rod my father built from a 1975 Cabela’s kit. I used 500 grit sandpaper to knock the sheen off my fiberglass blank, then tack clothed off all dust that couldn’t be blown off. From there I spray painted two coats of my base color from an Aaron Brothers art store. Dry, Wet sand, dry again, and then I used Krylon clear for plastic. Wet sand again, and then I used rubbing compound to get a high gloss finish. Fair warning, adding paint to your rod will slow the rods natural action. That’s not nearly as critical for heavy boat rods, but try this on a trout/panfish rod...and the action you thought you had will be gone. This is why manufacturers...up until the past few years, have colored their blanks by tinting their resin. I don’t exactly know how Sage and other manufacturers are getting these really cool colors on their graphite blanks, but I suspect they’re painting the blanks in a one coat process to prevent from having to do what I did for my fiberglass rods. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Matt Smythe (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2018 08:28PM

Just want to make it clear, I am not a rod builder. 35 yrs. ago I made a few custom rods for myself I painted the blanks using a lacquer in a spray can. The paint seems to have held up well. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster