I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide suggestions
Posted by: Nicholas Durst (180.94.75.---)
Date: January 15, 2018 04:08PM

I know this topic has been beat to death but after reading literally hours worth of different threads on the topic I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I'm building a couple seven foot 8-15 lb mag med rods for walleye fishing the Maumee river. For those unfamiliar with the river its a rock base bottom and you cast 1/4-1 oz egg sinker Carolina rigs ticking the bottom. Ill be running braided line. I've been looking at some recoil options compared to sic options and am looking for some feed back to this specific type of fishing conditions. Thanks for your time Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide suggestions
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 05:00PM

My go to guide is the pac bay minima. Inexpensive, light, long wearing and attractive. What else is needed.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 06:03PM

Minimas are a great option, they come in titanium if you want for much less then your listed options, they are more resistant to grooving than the REC guides, and since your fishing for walleye, in essence a great tasting log with fins, high end guides wouldn't be my priority.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 06:13PM

I'm imagining you're building a casting rod? And that you're building it for primarily the early run fish?

Personally I'd look at Fuji LN (double foot) and L (single foot) guides, with Alcoite rings, Or American Tackle Ring Lock RLC (double foot) and RLF (single foot) guides, with Nanolite, or Nano Plasma rings. Both are very nice guides. The American Tackle guides come with some great combinations as it relates to frame color and ring color.

If you are building it for use during the early run, then I'd probably go with a #5 or 6 running guide just give you a little more cushion as far as your guides icing up, goes.

Date: January 15, 2018 06:37PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Minimas are a great option, they come in titanium
> if you want for much less then your listed
> options, they are more resistant to grooving than
> the REC guides, and since your fishing for
> walleye, in essence a great tasting log with fins,
> high end guides wouldn't be my priority.

Appreciate the advice but for the amount ive spent on the blanks and the new reels im going to buy for them I dont want to chince out on any part of these rods.

Date: January 15, 2018 06:42PM

David, I knew I left something out yes ill be casting and drifting with a spinning rod. I'm building it for the river as a general, I fish them from when they start making there way up the river to spawn til after they spawn and head back out to lake Erie. Usually knock on wood when they start making there way up stream its after the ice on the lakes has unfrozen and air temp is in the low 40s so I'm not all to concerned with the guides freezing up. Ive been looking at the fuji guides and searching reviews and other forums theres just so many here say stories its hard decide. Thanks for the recommendations.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 06:53PM

Then go whole hog, Fuji KR guides with titanium frames with either Sic or Torzite inserts. Also the new Fuji corrosion control KR guides, with Sic or Alconite inserts, are also very nice and cost less. They are all great guides and truly complement a high end blank and reel.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 07:42PM

Ah ok Nicholas, I was thinking with that 1 oz weight you'd be using casting gear.

I live in Northeast Ohio, and while I've never been up to the river for the walleye runs, I have buddies that go every year. They bring home some real pigs. 13 lb 4 oz is their biggest to date, but the one guy swore he had one on that would have pushed 15 lbs. Hope you get into one those big girls!

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: January 16, 2018 01:56PM

All my builds are either Pac Bay Minima or Fuji K with alconite depending on use. Braid will not present any problems with either of these. No need for the extra expense of SIC or Torzite.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 02:36PM

I agree with John. Alconite is sufficiently hard enough to last for decades of hard fishing use. You can’t cut or even scratch them with a hacksaw blade, so fishing line will do very little if any damage to them. I also use a lot of Alconite KR guides and Minima 4 guides.Trouble is that you can only get titanium frame KR guides with either Sic or Torzite inserts. The new corrosion control Fuji Alconite K guides are an excellent buy.
Norm

Date: January 16, 2018 03:17PM

Thanks for all the input gentleman. I'm going to go with the alconite guides.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: January 16, 2018 05:45PM

Nicholas Durst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the input gentleman. I'm going to
> go with the alconite guides.

Great choice , All my rod's are equipped with the Alconite ring and will continue to be in the future. Minima guides are interesting to me however and many top anglers use them , just need to research them more.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: January 17, 2018 01:46PM

I use the Minima for UL, L, ML power rods (size 4 runners) and Fuji K with alconite for medium and heavier powers (size 5 runners). Keeping the choices simple minimizes the number of types and sizes I need to keep on-hand which keeps the cost reasonable. I only do freshwater rods with stainless frames so I'm not so worried about corrosion resistance.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: January 18, 2018 08:50AM

really contemplating on building a third rod with recoil guides I like the concept of them. Any input on those style of guides? Seen some say they groove but not to much to really back it up as far as hear say and no actual experience with them grooving. Thanks again for all the input gentleman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster