I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much of the handle/reel seat can be assembled at one time?
Posted by: Rick Derr (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 03:39PM

I apologize ahead of time if this is a really stupid question. However, I have never built a rod before but have ordered components and some start up material for my 1st build (spinning rod). My question is this. I have watched several videos on assembling the handles parts and the reel seat etc... But I am confused as to whether I need to epoxy the butt grip and then let it set up before moving on the to rear grip (I'm doing a split grip). Or once the rear grip is in place do I wait to assemble the reel seat/front grip etc...

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much of the handle/reel seat can be assembled at one time?
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 04:33PM

What kind of rear grip and seat are you using? If it's a standard pipe seat, you can epoxy everything at the same time. If it's something like a Fuji VSS, you may want to glue the VSS, rear grip, and arbor together first. Then ream that combo out. Then glue everything to the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 05:01PM

Rick,
Any time that I build a full grip rod with reel seat and fore grip, I use slow drying epoxy and do all of the glue ups at the same time.

But, when doing a split grip, and the separation of the components, I can do a better job by doing each of the pieces individually and letting the glue cure on the first piece before going to the next piece.

Take care

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 05:52PM

All sound suggestions as mentioned. I will add a reminder: If you use trim rings/winding checks with the split grips, be sure you have them in place before epoxying the next piece of your handle.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 06:31PM

I would say it depends on how tight your grips fit when you dry fit them. One thing you want to be aware of is even though your grips may have a nice tight fit when dry, once you apply your adhesive epoxy, they're going to slide a little easier, and may actually go a little further on the blank than they did when you dry fitted them.

I'm still pretty new to building and I have done it a few different ways. I've glued them all up in the same sitting. Fighting butt , and as Chuck so excellently pointed out, be sure to put your winding checks and any trim pieces on in the right order, then the rear grip and reel seat.

I've never waited for the fighting butt to set before gluing on the rear grip, but I have waited for the fighting butt and rear grip to completely set up before installing the reel seat. It's kind of nice having the rear grip completely set when you put on the reel seat because you can really get a nice tight fit of the reel seat to the rear grip, without the fear of the rear grip moving on you. That's the way I did it on a build I am currently doing, and is probably how I'll do it from here on out.

As far as the reel seat goes. If it's a skeleton seat with an insert, (and that includes the foam shim if that's what you're using to mount the seat to the blank) I'll glue that and let it set up completely before installing. A good time to glue anything on the reel seat is while you're letting your grips set up. Once the reel seat is set and cured I put it and the fore grip (if I use one) on.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2018 09:48PM

I always glue it all on the rod at the same time. As stated above if you are using a reel seat with a foam or carbon shim then glue it in first and then ream as required. If you plan to use tape shims then it is just an added step once the grips are on. Being this is your first time I would recommend getting yourself very organized. Assemble everything dry and write a check list for each item you plan to install. Then lay the parts and materials out in the order you have on your check list. Mark off each item on the list once you have it installed. The times I have forgotten a winding check or trim ring is when I have inadvertently laid them down on the work bench and they become out of sight out of mind. Work systematically but quickly so that you have time left to make any minor adjustments. Also, have your clean up materials prepared. Towels, denatured alcohol, and so on. Roughly clean as you go. By that I mean remove the excess epoxy and wipe down then move to the next step. Once everything is installed and positioned exactly where you want it do a final wipe down. Set back and enjoy a cold beverage while admiring your handy work as the epoxy dries.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 02:02AM

before you do much, do a dry fit of everything to make sure it all fits together on the road ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2018 02:32AM

What is the rush doing it once correctly or doing it a second time to get it right
with the epoxies of today you can assemble a handle in a couple hours 15 min or 30 min epoxy and the gel epoxy makes handle assembly easy and fast 45 min to a hour + or minus a few minutes.
a split grip if you have every piece fitted and as mentioned the winding checks in place when you start you can just keep going till it is all glued up and set it aside for a couple hours to set NOT fully cured but set and you can start to wrap the rod.
MY self I take my time and enjoy the time spent making something that others admire the talent used to make it and that is only a few hours out of a day for a simple utilitarian rod or it could be a week in process depending how much bling you put on winding checks , weaves and more complicated wrappings inlays on the rod and in to the handle

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Rick Derr (138.162.0.---)
Date: January 16, 2018 01:13PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like the idea about writing a list and checking it off. I could totally see me with a winding check or some other piece left over wondering what I missed. I also like the idea of savoring the moment and just relaxing and taking my time.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster