I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti / Clemens Lathe Turning Motor
Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 03:59PM

After years of procrastinating while turning small reel seats, etc. on my Renzetti lathe with the standard 1/10th hp motor, I decided to buy the, almost $200.00, turning motor with bracket listed in the Renzetti online catalog. I already have the Renzetti tail stock and tool rest and would like to continue using my Renzetti lathe for this purpose as opposed to buying another additional wood or metal lathe. Unfortunately, when I called Renzetti a very nice lady advised they stopped carrying the turning motor last year and had no more in stock. So now I'm looking for an alternative and I thought I read somewhere on this forum a post where one could buy the same motor from another source. Would appreciate any assistance in securing or further researching this motor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti / Clemens Lathe Turning Motor
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 05:01PM

It’s a Dayton universal AC/DC 115 V 1/10 hp, model 2M037.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 07:34PM

He has the 1/10th hp, wants a stronger one.

Date: January 14, 2018 07:41PM

Yep, you’re right, probably still a Dayton motor, 1/5 or 1/4 HP. I use the 1/10 Hp for turning grips and it works fine. I thought the regular Renzetti motor for wrapping was 1/15 Hp. I do not power wrap so not sure.
Norm

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 07:45PM

Norman is correct about the standard lathe motor.
I believe you are referring to the 1/4 up motor,correct? If so,I had one that I acquired from Clemens. The downside was that it was a DC motor. As I recall,I had a devil of a time trying to set it up for easier use. I found it hard to use as is due to its DC classification. When plugged in,it went from 0,to full RPM status. I never found a way to make it an AC setup. I am sure Roger Wilson can advise further. In any case,I am sure you can find a suitable 1/4 hp,or other suitable size motor from Grainger,or elsewhere. Mine became a costly,bulky paperweight.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 07:54PM

The motor you want is as follows: SER .08T U MOD .JE2G069N
115 V 60 HZ 1500RPM A.O. 13611935
USE 15 MFD 370 VAC CAPACITOR
MADE IN MEXICO LR12645

This info is right off the motor. Does not state horse power but I believe it is a 1/5 HP motor.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 09:36PM

If I remember right the more powerful motor also had a 1/16 inch larger shaft so a pulley change or modification is in order. 5/16 vs 1/4 inch I believe.

Date: January 14, 2018 09:52PM

That motor might be discontinued, cannot find it on the internet. Somebody might know of a suitable substitute. I would not mind up grading my motor.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:46PM

I'll get you guys a part number tomorrow of the best motor they used. Works great for wrapping or turning and is DC, variable speed.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 01:56AM

To all, Eric and Chuck in particular,
A DC motor will accept a speed controller much easier and efficiently than an AC motor.
Chuck, you are correct in that Roger can solve your problems and turn your “Costly, bulky paperweight” into a productive rod building apparatus.
Allow Tom to afford the DC motor identification he offered to afford. Any wiring issues, consult Roger, the Site’s Guru of anything related to electronics.
~ >*))))))><{

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2018 09:43AM

Dayton 1/10HP, Model #2M037A, Spec #5292, 8000 RPM, DC.

This motor seems to be the best combination for wrapping and light duty turning for these type lathe.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 10:35AM

Eric,
Here is a picture of the Motor, mount and switch that Renzetti used to supply for their power wrappers.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If the motor is no longer available, this picture will give you a good idea as to how the motor was mounted and its switch and power cord arrangement.

However, this motor is a constant RPM motor. Today, there are a number of Lathe manufacturers make a poqwerful variable speed motor available that could be a better choice.

==================
I just checked with Penn State Industries and I see that they motor in their catalog for this very purpose is currently out of stock.

[www.pennstateind.com]

But, certainly a variable speed motor like this one would be ideal. For the purpose of turning grips, it is very nice to have the ability to have a variable speed motor.

Another more expensive option, but it is in stock:
[www.amazon.com]

Pictures of various Lathe motors, mounts and setups:
[www.google.com]

-------------------------
Perhaps an even better choice that working with your Renzetti lathe for turning is to pick up an inexpensive wood lathe that will excel for this job for about the same money as a motor and mount would cost you:

[www.amazon.com]

You can also find used wood lathes at used tool shops or pawn shops for often very little money. One like above - which has a variable speed is a very nice and convenient lathe to use.

Or you could go the route of the Grizzly lathe that makes use of a corded variable speed drill for lathe turning duties which work just fine for turning grips:

[www.amazon.com]

Also, if you find a mini lathe with a motor and controller that you like, you could research the manufacturer to see the cost of buying just the motor and controller for your lathe:

Good luck on any decision you make.

Date: January 15, 2018 10:42AM

By the way, I checked the Renzetti catalog and when you check their virtual catalog, they have the
Turning motor listed as item # TM500 with a price of $189.00

[www.renzetti.com]

Scroll down to the virtual catalog and flip through the pages to see the listing. Same picture that I have listed in my previous post.

Having said that, I have no idea if they still stock the motor.

Good luck

But, in any event, you can easily find a small wood working lathe for $200 and would likely be a better purchase.

Date: January 15, 2018 11:05AM

Check the on-line @#$%& site.
There is a midi lathe motor and switch listed for $125. It would likely work well.

For any after market motor, you will have to fabricate or purchase a mount that will work with the motor and also a pulley that will work with the motor and belt that you wish to use on the motor.

==================
/Delta-46-455-12-5-in-5-Speed-Midi-Lathe-Drive-Motor-On-Off-Switch/162173611330?hash=item25c24ced42:g:zK0AAOSwuTxWAv~h

Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 11:46AM

Thank you all for some great information and options. This is exactly what I was looking for. Since I'm in no hurry, I'm thinking the motor from Penn Industries that Roger mentions and provides a link to, may be the way I'll go....once they get it back in stock.

Date: January 15, 2018 12:17PM

Eric,
I see that the PSI motor update comes with a 3 step pulley. However, this pulley is for a flat poly belt. That means, that if you do with the pulley that comes with the motor, you would need to change the pulley on your power wrapper.

I suspect that if you would purchase an additional pulley that matched the PSI motor and also purchase the flat belt, you could swap your existing pulley.

Or, you could purchase a 1/8th inch v-belt pulley.

For example:
Taig tools sell such a pulley and matching v-belt that matches your current Renzetti power wrapper.

[www.taigtools.com]
The taig tool pulley and belt comes with a bore size of 3/8th of an inch. If you go this route, just take the new motor and one of the pulleys to a nearby machine shop and have the pulley bore reamed out to the exact matching size of .550 inches of your new motor shaft.

Then, of course fabricate a right angle motor mount to match your current motor mount for the wrapper bed. The machine shop could fabricate the right angle mount for you in a few minutes as well.

-------------
By the way, here is a parts list for an Excelsior lathe showing the flat belt pulley for both the motor and for the lathe head stock. So, again, depending on shaft sizes and needs of the pulley, perhaps this flat poly belt and pulley set would work for you.

[go.rockler.com]

The parts are available from Rockler.com

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 12:30PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 07:42PM

Dennis Danku has the correct info on the Renzetti Heavy Duty Turning Motor specs...
I was lucky enough to find one, didn’t really use it much so it is out on lend to someone that is using it daily.
I did a ton of research trying to find another one to no avail.’

The motor is no longer available to anyone. It was a private label motor I was told.
These units were the brainstorm of Andy Renzetti and Rex Engineering also out of Titusville, Fl.
I would assume the demand wasn’t there so production and efforts were stopped by Renzetti.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2018 08:43PM

Before my shop was underwater, my CLemens had a 1/4HP motor, and since I've got a 1/5 and another 1/4HP for turning in case one burns out. THis was in addition to teh 1/15 or 110th motor I used for wrapping. I would have the big motor mounted to my bench behind the wrapping motor, I had to buypulleys and a longer belt to make it work. I need to get my new motors set up already!

I have a Delta midi wood lathe, and do most of teh turnign on it with mandrels. BUt once installed ont eh rod I do a final sanding to make sure everythign is perfectly alinged etc. ITs' also common for custoemrs to come here and ask me to reduce the shape of their currentrods/factory or ones they built themselves, so its' worth having that bigger motor set up vs teh wrapping motor.

Date: January 16, 2018 01:59PM

x10 on Billy's comments.

I still have a full length rod lathe that I haven't used in many years in storage. This used a 1750 rpm buffer motor with a keyless jacobs chuck on the end of the threaded shaft. It worked very well to chuck in a piece of tapered solid stock to insert into the end of the blank while turning the blank with no butt cap in place.

But, after obtaining my wood lathe, I put away my full length rod lathe and use the wood lathe for all of the work that I do. The big advantage of the separate unit is that if you make a mistake, the only thing that your affecting is the grip that you are working on and nothing else.

However, there were times that I wanted to do as Billy noted, and that was to clean up a grip, change the contour of a grip or do a fix on a client's rod. For this task, I picked up a $2 1/2 inch cordless drill, hooked it to my 24 volt power supply and then used my foot pedal to control the speed of the cordless drill. I mounted it at the same height as my power wrapper head stock, so I just bolted it down next to the existing head stock and motor and used the solid stock, or the shank and 3 inch chuck to hold the rod for turning.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This particular drill happened to have a switch on the gears for low and high speed. It is useful, if I want to use this setup as a dryer - by switching to low gear and adjusting the foot pedal to the drying speed. With the 1/2 inch drill motor, it had more than enough power to shape and size any grip that I wanted to do. However, after 10 years of use, the used motor - that was probably 10 years old when I bought if for $2, finally gave up and it went to the places where all old drills go.

------------

A few years ago, I had picked up a 1/2 hp 110V variable speed DC motor for another project. But, after the cordless drill motor died, I decided to put this big motor into service. I rigged it up with a head stock at the same height as my rod rests and in juse clamp the motor with its jack shaft, belt and out put shaft and a 3 inch taig chuck on the end to spin the rod if I am working in the rod shop for a small touch up on the rod. Although very big and bulky the variable speed motor with a reversing switch certainly does the job and has one advantage over the use of the drill motor. The drill motor with its gear train was very noisy - i.e. the rasp of the gears was annoying. On the other hand, the non gear output shaft of the dc motor is dead quiet, but still has more power than the drill motor had.

So, each tool has its use and you can use and or construct what you need for your particular rod building needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster