I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HWS-1 Hand Wrapper
Posted by: Jim Neeley (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 14, 2018 09:21AM

My wife bought me the HWS-1 Hand Wrapper for Christmas, I have it all assembled and when I go to wrap the tension rod swivels from 6 o'clock to about 4 o'clock. The tip top

was loose so I reglued it in place, still does it so reglued it into the base , and still does it . Any Suggestions would be helpful. Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HWS-1 Hand Wrapper
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:08AM

I've not used one, but from the images , with the two guide eyes at the base, does it really matter? Tension is tension, and the position of the rod doesn't change that, does it?

Posted by: Steve Clemmens (---.koehlerpro.com)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:20AM

Those tension rods arent made very well but like Michael said if you by pass that and tighten down your spool a tad bit more it should give you enough tension to be able to wrap a nice tight wrap. Hope this helps as i have one for back up in case my auto one goes down but i will use this same idea if it comes time.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: January 14, 2018 02:28PM

I stopped using those tension rods altogether , i just constantly tighten and loosen the thread spool tension with one hand as i wrap , if i decide to walk away for awhile i tighten the tension up and it holds everything in place.

Posted by: Stuart Osterweil (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 07:07PM

The tension rods help “reverse” a couple of wraps without loosing tension.

Couple of things.

Is your thread coming off the spool “from the bottom ? That’s helps.
Are you following the correct use of the other guide screws ? (double check). If not, that will cause this.
Also, positioning the guide you are wrapping in the middle of the hand wrapper, should also help.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: January 14, 2018 07:37PM

Stuart Osterweil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The tension rods help “reverse” a couple of
> wraps without loosing tension.

Yes it does but so does increasing the tension on the thread spool and turning the spool in the opposite direction of which it was applied by your free hand, the thread will remain right where it is without tension loss . Either way works fine

Posted by: Stuart Osterweil (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 10:36PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stuart Osterweil Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The tension rods help “reverse” a couple of
> > wraps without loosing tension.
>
>
>
>
>
> Yes it does but so does increasing the tension on
> the thread spool and turning the spool in the
> opposite direction of which it was applied by your
> free hand, the thread will remain right where it
> is without tension loss . Either way works fine

Absolutely.

Also for the original poster, there is a short official Mudhole CRB video on YouTube showing the correct use of the line guide loops. Just search “Mudhole CRB hand wrapper how to assemble”

I’ve seen videos on YouTube with it (thread through guide loops) set up incorrectly.. Still works, but will turn the tension rod.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 10:45PM by Stuart Osterweil.

Posted by: Calver Skrien (196.52.21.---)
Date: January 15, 2018 09:22AM

Yup, YouTube and Google are going to be your trusty guides regarding this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 09:22AM by Calver Skrien.

Posted by: Jim Neeley (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 15, 2018 03:22PM

Thank you for all the feed back , I played around with it today and it is working fine, after watching a couple of the Mudhole wrapping videos I see theirs torqus in the same manner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster