I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tacky finish help
Posted by: Steve Clemmens (---.koehlerpro.com)
Date: January 13, 2018 08:28PM

I have let the finish dry on a rod i made for a few days and its still tacky feeling is there any sand paper or anything i can use to rub on it and reapply more finish? I figured out my problem after and all the other rods i have made have turned out looking great and drying no problem but there is this 1 that is a pain and wont dry correct. Thank you for any answers you may have for me. And by the way MIX YOUR FINISH FOR THE PROPER TIME AND DONT GET IN A HURRY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 08:29PM by Steve Clemmens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tacky finish help
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 13, 2018 08:45PM

Please provide a little more info on your situation. There's been a novel's worth of info written on this topic and available on this forum.

Date: January 13, 2018 08:47PM

well i mixed the finish but apparently not enough as a few of the guides are tacky to the touch and the others are dry for sure. I just didnt know if there was anything i could use to rough it up and reapply new finish to the ones that are wet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 08:56PM by Steve Clemmens.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2018 08:57PM

Don't rough anything. Just apply a thin application of properly measured and mixed epoxy over what you have now. It'll turn out fine.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: January 13, 2018 10:25PM

I wouldn't even try applying the new coat with a typical instrument if the finish is still soft , i would mix and slowly pour a little bit of epoxy on the troubled areas and use gravity to guide it around the blank . As Tom said DO NOT rough the area up if it's still soft , it will become an ever bigger nightmare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 10:29PM by herb canter.

Date: January 14, 2018 11:01AM

thank you for the help very much

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 11:31AM

you can put it in the sun for a couple of day's or a very warm room , to see if the heat will set your epoxy , it could help , what have you got to loose ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2018 12:36PM

Steve,
In spite of the previous comments, I would rather go with the old saying, "You build a house on sand, you are risking the long term stability of your home. A shaky foundation, does not a good house make,"

Using that analogy I would do the simple thing, that i have done a few things in the past. i.e. strip off the current guides, and wrapping. Do a good wipe down of the rod and re wrap your rods and recoat.

The point that I make, is that the current finish - is to likely never get hard as you move on. Thus, even if you put another coat of finish over the current finish and it gets hard, you will still have a soft inner layer on your guide wraps.

Good luck

Date: January 14, 2018 01:02PM

Bill great point and it is 10-20 degrees where i live right now so my heat stays on anyways and im about to run myself out of the house anyways since i have started building again. I have a spare room i use for my drying room and is closed off so it stays warm in there. But again thank you for comment.

roger- that is what I decided to do last nite. It was my first build in oh about 25 years so the finish and mixing times are different then before so after that happened i fully mix my finish for a good 6-8 min and havent had a issue since and comes out great. And again thank you for your comment. So many things have changed from the old days in the late 70's and 80's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster