I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait casting blank
Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 05:19PM

I like the feel of this rod but of course want to build it myself. Any blank suggestions that fall in line with this description?
Designed for jerk baits like the Megabass X-80 TRICK DARTER, VISION ONETEN, and MAGNUM, the Megabass OROCHI XX 68XX JERKBAIT SPECIAL features a parabolic bend and a 6’8” length that is perfect for quick, precise rod action. Ideally suited for lure weights of ¼ to ¾oz., the F4½-68XX is an excellent choice not only for jerk baits, but medium-running crank baits, top waters and light jigs and worms as well.

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait casting blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2018 06:28PM

Interesting description of the rod's characteristics, and the characteristics I tried to build into the jerkbait rod I built.

The way I went about it was to buy a fast action blank that had the lure weight ratings I was looking for, and that was longer than what I wanted the finished rod to be. I then trimmed length off the butt. Doing so slowed the action, and reduced the power of the blank. Also it moved the reel seat further up the blank than where it would have normally fallen on the blank at its full length. That means that one the reel seat was placed, it was located in a less stiff portion of the blank. I wouldn't say it resulted in the blank having a parabolic bend, but it definitely acts and bends like a moderate fast action blank, when under the load of a fish..

I'm happy with the way it turned out. It casts and works a bait like a fast action blank would, but has a nice bend into the midsection of the rod, when I have a fish on. As for the blank I personally used, I don't like having my arms extended when working a jerkbait. I work them with the tip down, so I wanted a finish rod length of 6'. As I don't throw overly large jerkbaits usually 3/8 - 1/2 oz, I used a standard series MHX SJ783 blank Despite the blank's weight ratings it has a pretty stout tip. Plenty stout enough to really make the size jerkbaits I throw, jump. Which is important at times when fishing for smallmouth.

You could also perhaps try a medium heavy power, mod fast action crankbait blank. I have a rod I built on such a blank that I built for throwing squarebills, and it works pretty well for throwing jerkbaits. It just doesn't have the pop in the tip, that the jerkbait specific rod I built, does.

My jerkbait rod also makes a nice rod for throwing smaller top water baits like Pop Rs and Tiny Torpedos.

I don't have a whole lot of money invested in the rod, so even if it wouldn't have turned out as well as it did, I wouldn't have been out that much.

Just something to think about.

Posted by: David Miller (---.northstate.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 09:18PM

Rod Geeks has a blank that is 6’8” in their Bass 4 that by specs looks very similar to what you want. On their website they state the bass series has more flex to deal with low stretch braid and also has hoop strength reinforcement. I am hoping to get one at the ICRBE for a kayak fishing build.

Another blank line that has sparked my interest is North Fork Composites Delta Series. Pretty positive their crankbait hybrid blanks are used in Kistler’s Feel n Reel. They might have too much flex in the tip for what you want though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 06:05AM by David Miller.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2018 10:14PM

I really like either of these blanks from Hydra for jerkbaits. Link to their site is on the left.

Jerkbait/Topwater

Bass Fishing: Jerkbait, Topwater
BT8015JT: 6 – 12# Line | 3/16 – 3/8 oz Lure
BT8025JT: 8 – 14# Line | 1/4-1/2 oz Lure

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: January 12, 2018 08:07AM

The American Tackle Bushido MB68/10-17 is great blank for jerk baits. Fits the description you mentioned to a T. I use this blank for tossing 17MR and 52M/MR Mirrolures in saltwater and it works incredibly well.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2018 09:20AM

Here is a link to a 6'-9" version of what David Baylor mentioned in his post - [www.mudhole.com]

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: January 12, 2018 10:04AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. David, I have built on the MHX High Modulus HM-SB812-MHX blank. I like it but wish I had used a different grip. It was my first build and I used a carbon fiber split grip as it looked "cool" I have since realized I am partial to the Winn Grips. So, all of that said I'd like to try a new to me Blank Manufacturer. Not because I am unhappy with the MHX but I want to try out different blanks at this stage.
Steve, I am not familiar with the Hydra line but am interested. Their site is limited with regards to specs on blanks. Is there more info out there somewhere? Can anyone else speak to the Hydra line of blanks?
Capt. Craig, the Bushido looks spot on.

Thanks again to all!
Rick Elrod

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 12, 2018 12:53PM

Rick, tear the carbon grips off and replace with the Winn grip of your choice. You can easily cut through the top layer with a cut off wheel. Just ensure you are wearing a mask so as not to inhale any fiber. Heavily tape the blank in the split area should your wheel slip you’ll prevent any damage.

Date: January 12, 2018 05:16PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick, tear the carbon grips off and replace with
> the Winn grip of your choice. You can easily cut
> through the top layer with a cut off wheel. Just
> ensure you are wearing a mask so as not to inhale
> any fiber. Heavily tape the blank in the split
> area should your wheel slip you’ll prevent any
> damage.

Thomas, I don't understand how this can be done. Do the grips not need to be installed from the tip due to the taper of the rod? Also, I have a fore grip and aluminum winding checks on grip ends?

Date: January 12, 2018 05:27PM

Rick most grips are put in from the tip however you can do it from the rear. Split grips make it more challenging but it still can be done. Full length grips are the easiest to replace from the rear, with either style ream to fit over the end of blank and shim the blank to make a tight fit on the blank. The shim is usually out of tape and fully coated on every bit of surface area to ensure a solid arbor and repair. The issue on the sb812 is the very end of the blank is much larger than where you will put the grips. A flexible material such as the winn grips may actually close back up tight to the blank. Regarding your winding checks if aluminum I have had superb luck utilizing tin snips to cleanly cut off the blank with no ill effects.

Date: January 12, 2018 05:31PM

Rick most grips are put in from the tip however you can do it from the rear. Split grips make it more challenging but it still can be done. Full length grips are the easiest to replace from the rear, with either style ream to fit over the end of blank and shim the blank to make a tight fit on the blank. The shim is usually out of tape and fully coated on every bit of surface area to ensure a solid arbor and repair. The issue on the sb812 is the very end of the blank is much larger than where you will put the grips. A flexible material such as the winn grips may actually close back up tight to the blank. Regarding your winding checks if aluminum I have had superb luck utilizing tin snips to cleanly cut off the blank with no ill effects.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2018 06:32PM

If you don’t like the handle on your current rod, thenThomas is absolutely correct. I have retrofitted a bunch of rods with Winn grips all installed from the butt end. Remove the old CF grip and clean things up. The foam core of CF grips makes this easy. Ream the Winn grip so it will go snugly over the butt (the Winn grips will stretch) then twist it forward to the reel seat.This will let you know how much to shim. I shim with a layer or two of dry wall tape to get a good snug fit. For a fighting butt without a through hole, I use a series of drill bits that snuggly fit the hole and twist them by hand to the bottom of the hole then move to the next size drill bit and repeat until I get the fighting butt to fit snugly over the butt. This keeps the hole square. If using a fighting butt with a through hole just ream to fit and add the appropriate butt cap. It is not that hard to do and works great. If you need a winding check use the vinyl type, they will stretch over the butt. Remember to make sure the seam in the Winn grips are on the bottom in line with the trigger of the seat. Good luck!
Norm

Date: January 13, 2018 12:22PM

Norm and Thomas, thank you for your time. I will follow your guidelines and replace the grip.

Regards,
Rick Elrod

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2018 04:49PM

The new Winn grips will cover the area where the old grips were so do not worry to much about getting the area pristine clean. In fact a little of the foam core may help with getting a snug fit.
Norm

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2018 09:07PM

Give the guys at Hydra a call. They are very easy to talk to and will help you with any question you have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster