I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advanced marbling
Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2018 02:39PM

Fellow builders, Having just seen article in latest issue of Rodbuilder about marbling. Was hoping some of you have some history with this practice. I have a couple questions on this
1 What type of pigment is best. What type of based is used, Epoxy, Acrylic,Oil, water??? and best place to buy, IE paint store, Car paint shop????
2 Do you thin it with anything and if so what?
3 I understand a based wrap of thread the same color as base layer of pigment, Do you mix pigment with base coat of epoxy?

Thanks
"Bent rods to ya"
Darrel
Vacaville Ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advanced marbling
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 10, 2018 03:05PM

Mudhole has a video in the resources section. I think there is a dvd out called "marbling made easy".

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2018 03:16PM

Nuno will likely respond here and I believe he has also received your email.

It is eye opening to learn that marbling does not have to be random - definite repeatable patterns can be achieved once you know the tricks. Nuno will also be presenting a seminar on this topic at the upcoming Expo in February.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2018 03:44PM

I just started messing with marbling, and it's actually fun. I watched the Mud Hole video that Lynn mentioned, I think they actually have two that I know of. Anyhow, they were good basic videos. There are also videos on Youtube that show doing it. It's really simple.

I've done it twice thus far and have liked the results. The pigments I used are the CRB Pearl Metallic pigments. They're a powder and they actually mix quite well. I start with a little, and add more if needed, but a little goes a long way. You mentioning a base wrap of thread is something new to me. I applied my base coat of epoxy right on the blank's surface. I've only used black as a base coat thus far. The pigments have a nice metallic look and they have a lot of different colors. I like some of the colors so much that I may actually try using pigmented finish over my guide wraps.

Man I wish I could get down to the Expo and see Nuno's seminar. Would love to find out the trick to a repeatable pattern. And I'd like to find out if there is a way to not have the finished surface be a little wavy. My second attempt had a less wavy surface than my first, but I'm still going to have to put a couple of clear coats over to then probably sand a bit before a final coat of Perma Gloss.

It is fun though !!!

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.bl26.telepac.pt)
Date: January 11, 2018 05:01AM

Darrel, did you get my email?
If not let me know.

Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 05:59AM

Thanks to all who have responded to this post, and yes Nuno I did get your e mail Thanks again. I am on my way to getting started!!
"Bent rods to ya"
Darrel
Vacaville, Ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster