I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threaded Name plates
Posted by: Steve Clemmens (---.koehlerpro.com)
Date: January 07, 2018 10:07PM

What is the best procedure for making a custom name plate on a rod. Back in the early 80's my family used sharpie pens and after 1 coat of preserver they wrote the name of the person who bought the rod and then a coat of finish over that. Well i tried that and with maybe this newer finish it made the pen run and blotchy. Any thoughts would be very helpful and I am using color fast pro wrap and pro seal and then pro kote finish. thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 10:07PM by Steve Clemmens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threaded Name plates
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2018 10:13PM

Test, test, test! Depending upon the finish you use, you may ahve to put a coat of CP over before applying the finish. It is always best to test something you have not done or used before.

Date: January 07, 2018 10:22PM

thank you i am actually drying a few pieces as we speak with different ways to try.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2018 10:40PM

Try using a oil based paint marker called PAINTY by zig. Its double ended with gold on one side and silver on the other. The paint is very thin and may run if you move too slow, but the gold is like leaf and the silver is bright when dry. With this too you will have to practice.It takes an epoxy thread finish without any problems but don't use U-40 Perma Gloss.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2018 10:46PM

Could try a different type of ink. I use Dr Ph. Martin’s iridescent calligraphy ink with a fine point nib pen. It comes in a lot of different colors but I use gold, silver, or black. It is permanent and after it’s dry it can be over coated with any finish, even Permagloss. It is good stuff. A little expensive but worth it. It can be thinned with a drop or two of alcohol.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 02:03AM

Steve,
An exceptionally good question, one which I have wondered about myself. While the available, printed stickers/decals are OK, they lack the personal touch I would prefer. Thanks to the veterans, Phil, Dennis and Norman for their replies which I will certainly apply.
Norman, does your wife inscribe your rods prior or post aligning your guides with her superior-than-laser eyesight? lol

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Clemmens (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 12:12PM

yes thanks to everyone that put their 2 cents in I will sure try some different ones but I do know DO NOT USE a sharpie with prokote finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2018 10:27PM

Steve, '
For the last long time I have used Speed Ball acrylic ink along with a speed ball pen and nib set. The concept came from the middle ages and continues to work very very well. Just be sure to use a good cleaner when using the nib, to insure that the center tiny groove remains clean of ink that will block the nice flow of ink to the tip.

[www.dickblick.com]

The nib of your choice:

[www.dickblick.com]

Pen of your choice:

[www.dickblick.com]

A nice thing about using acrylic ink is that it is water soluble and simple soap - like dawn dish soap does a nice job of cleaning the nib and pen.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2018 08:46AM

Some inks won't work with CP or epoxy, but a spray-on fast-drying finish from the hardware store won't attack them. Might be that there is no movement to the applicatioin, could be that they dry fast enough, but they work. I mask the area, give a quick shot, take the mask off, and let it dry. Then the epoxy makes the clear coat disappear. The clear can be gloss or satin, doesn't matter. I do this using india ink, which I like because it is so thin (viscosity) that it works well with the "old fashioned" nibs.

Date: January 13, 2018 08:11PM

It seems to maybe be the thread I am using because nothing is working every pen I have tried runs. I am using pro wrap color fast thread has anyone had the same issue with this? I am at a total loss with any and all test. I may just not put name plates on the rods which i hate because it makes it more personalized BUT nothing is stinking working.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2018 09:18PM

What inks did you try?
Norm

Date: January 14, 2018 11:08AM

sharpie all kinds-essentials fabric markers-calliorapher india paint marker-higgins black magic india marker-opaque paint marker and again maybe i am going about this all wrong but it seems every thing i have tried either runs to a big blob or the pens runs right as im trying to write on it. if i could add photos i would here or give me your email and i will send you a pic of whats happening. I would take any help anyone is willing to give.

Date: January 14, 2018 11:25AM

norman i just sent you an email. thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster