I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test casting blunder
Posted by: Mark Brown (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: January 05, 2018 11:02AM

Messed up pretty good. I had guides taped in place for 9'6 surf rod. Went out last week for test casting 2 oz sinker. First cast at 75% of maximum think a knot / tangle came out of the reel and every single guide I had in place popped off the blank . Tip broke at the brace (?if thats whats called), recovered all but 2 guides. Thankfully blank is okay. Now the reel I used didn't have fresh line at all and wasn't the reel I planned on using for the build (was waiting for line to come in for the new reel but couldn't resist the urge to cast) .

Now that this happened I know I can do a few things better starting with trying to ensure there are no tangles and easing into it. My question now becomes how hard are you guys test casting / do you hold back or just let it loose? And how well do you tape the guides. I had single layer masking tape. All previously worked fine on lighter rods.

Thanks, Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test casting blunder
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2018 11:07AM

When test casting heavier rods with heavier weights, you need to make sure you have very secure tape wraps, usually three or even four layers. I have used strapping tape on heavy surf rods, although this requires you to slice the tape off with a razor blade and clean up a little tape residue from the guide feet.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 05, 2018 01:31PM

Zip ties and tape combo. Start out easy to make sure no knots or tangles then get down on it.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.83.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 05, 2018 02:31PM

Tom put it best. 3 or 4 on the heavy rods as they bear a greater load. My first cast is about 25%, just to make sure there are no obvious problems like you experienced. My second cast is at 50% and I check the line flow and make any adjustments. Third cast is about 75%, checking for line flow and making adjustments. This normally cures most of the problems. Then I make three full casts with all the accompanying checks. If you can't find it by this point, it's likely you were not going to.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 05, 2018 02:50PM

Mark Brown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Messed up pretty good. I had guides taped in place
> for 9'6 surf rod. Went out last week for test
> casting 2 oz sinker. First cast at 75% of maximum
> think a knot / tangle came out of the reel and
> every single guide I had in place popped off the
> blank . Tip broke at the brace (?if thats whats
> called), recovered all but 2 guides. Thankfully
> blank is okay. Now the reel I used didn't have
> fresh line at all and wasn't the reel I planned on
> using for the build (was waiting for line to come
> in for the new reel but couldn't resist the urge
> to cast) .
>
> Now that this happened I know I can do a few
> things better starting with trying to ensure there
> are no tangles and easing into it. My question now
> becomes how hard are you guys test casting / do
> you hold back or just let it loose? And how well
> do you tape the guides. I had single layer masking
> tape. All previously worked fine on lighter rods.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Was anybody watching ? If you had an audience i hope you told everyone that you meant for that to happen and it went exactly as you had planned , at least thats what i do .
I always wrap guides with masking tape and go 3 to 4 turns on each one . I test at full force from the start and never had a problem .

If double foot i do 3 to 4 turns of tape wrapped tight on each foot on both sides of guide , single foots just get 3 to 4 turns on the foot .

Posted by: Mark Brown (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: January 05, 2018 03:44PM

Thanks again for the great advise. All the lessons I learn from experience. Now the harder question. Anyone know if I can pick up the titanium guides with a metal detector / probably better question for another forum. anyway getting one from a friend today. they are fuji TKWAG with alconite inserts. of course no longer being sold. so really hoping I can find.
-Mark

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.92.---)
Date: January 05, 2018 04:35PM

I had the same thing happen and had to use a metal detector also lol. My guides were steel though and I'm not sure if it will work on titanium. I always check for tangles before every cast even though it's only happened once out of hundreds of tests casts.

Posted by: Calver Skrien (196.52.21.---)
Date: January 08, 2018 05:47PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When test casting heavier rods with heavier
> weights, you need to make sure you have very
> secure tape wraps, usually three or even four
> layers. I have used strapping tape on heavy surf
> rods, although this requires you to slice the tape
> off with a razor blade and clean up a little tape
> residue from the guide feet.
>
> ............

Hmm, I might have to take note of this for future reference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster