I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

  • Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

  • Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

    Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2018 Expo
EXPO ON FACEBOOK
CCS Database
Int. Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
All American Guides
American Tackle
Angler’s Roost
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
Anglers Workshop
BatsonRainshadowALPS
Bingham Enterprises
Canada Rodbuildersupply
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
CTS New Zealand
Custom Fly Grips LLC
DBlue Fishing
Decal Connection
DONART
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
Hitena USA
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mickels Custom Rods
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Pacific Bay
ProProducts
Reelseatblanks.com
Renzetti Inc.
Rod Components USA
Rodgeeks
RodMaker Magazine
RodMaker Magazine Blog
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Tackleworks
The Rod Room
Trondak U-40
Utmost Enterprises
VisualWRAP/VisualWEAVE
ZipCast

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 02:19PM

Conducting a search and drawing a blank, I'm looking for opinions from those who have experience. Thanking all in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 02:56PM

What kind of questions do you have Jeff?

They are super easy to set up, make for super smooth casts, help the rod to balance better and are the winningest product in fishing tackle history.

I believe you will see many people comment on their experiences soon.

Feel free to call or email me if you have any questions about them.

_______________________________
Blessings, Don Morse

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 03:33PM

Agree with Don, cast's like a dream. Very durable and super easy to set up. Did I mention how nice they cast!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 04, 2018 03:58PM

I took a hard look at the Microwaves for my surf rod build but two things prevented me from choosing them , # 1 was the price for the set, and the second was i didn't want a 50/30 size stripper , a 40 /25 or 40/20 was very appealing to me and i wanted to use smaller runners than size 10 .

WAIT A MINUTE before you attack calm down , deep breaths people because there is no need for any hostility . I fully understand American Tackle has tested and retested and tested again these guide sets till the cows come home, ( Cows rarely ever come home by the way , very slow walkers) so there is no question these Microwave guide systems are fantastic and will blow you away at just how amazing they cast and fish .

I was just referring to my stubbornness and unwillingness to compromise but thats on me not on American Tackles product. I have never heard a single negative review of the Microwave guide system , it's 100% positive so don't take my inflexibility as meaning anything more than me being an idiot .

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Heidi Fitch (---.sub-174-230-36.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 03:58PM

I agree with Don, also. THE nicest casting guides you will find, hands down. I put them on a 7' heavy spinning rod that I use for live bait fishing pike and I can send bobber, weight and large sucker out with ease. Extremely smooth. Very easy to layout on the rod blank and the fit and finish is 2nd to none, they even look pretty!! You won't go wrong using these guides. Pair those guides with some Bushido Combat braid or Bushido NanoX and I think you will be impressed and very happy! Happy building!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Gilbert Rodriguez (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 04:01PM

We have several different microwave guides. We have microwave, air wave, microwave 30 and 50, surf and carp guides. I used microwave 30 and airwave for saltwater fiahing for snooks and red drums on the 30 and spanish mackerels and small blue fish , jack creville and ponponos and bass fishing. They work great for casting and under loads is great. You will have to follow the guide placement set up it comes with for accurate casting and running guides can be moved to fit the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Heidi Fitch (---.sub-174-230-36.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 04:02PM

Did you check out the MW30's? They are a 30/10 that transition into 8mm running guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 04, 2018 04:10PM

I did see some new sizes of Microwave kits being offered which is great and i do plan to build an 8 foot inshore rod in the near future so Microwaves will be looked at very closely for that build . It's either American Tackles Microwave system or Fuji's KR concept and from everything i have read it's a pick em in that regard because both are outstanding but i believe the Microwave system would be much easier to set up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 04:40PM

I live in the salt! The MW30 is a great set of guides as well as all the MW system. I have them on rods for just about everything you can encounter from the creeks to the canyons.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 04:41PM

I agree with all comments except I don't recognize a casting advantage over Fuji KLH, and like the versatility of the Fuji setup where I can choose both the reduction guide sizes and the running guide sizes to match what I'm trying to accomplish, + the different finishes and quality levels. I'm not saying MW doesn't work well, I'm saying there are options, one of which i prefer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 05:13PM

All I use are microwave guide system. The advantages I have found are casting efficiency. The cast is so smooth and sleek and eliminates wind knots. Another advantage is how much more accurate your cast will be. The line doesn’t feel like it’s coming off a thrashing machine like you will feel with other guide styles and set ups. But the two top advantages are how much lighter they are and the quality of the stainless they use. Being that there so much lighter makes the rod more sensitive and the 316 stainless they are using is superior to all the other leading brands. You will not see the guides ever rust or tarnish like some. I did a 2.5 year test in saltwater on the mw’s to see if they would rust and they are like new still to this day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 05:25PM

I agree with Michael. The MW guides work well, but more of a one size fits all kit system. I like the versatility of the KR concept, and the KR guides cast just as well if not better. Also if you break the MW stripper or transition guide you have to buy the entire kit to replace them, an expensive fix. But they do work well and I do use them for people who like their novel look, and those people love them. These are some of the things that make a custom rod custom.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 04, 2018 05:33PM

Wes Motsinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I use are microwave guide system. The
> advantages I have found are casting efficiency.
> The cast is so smooth and sleek and eliminates
> wind knots. Another advantage is how much more
> accurate your cast will be. The line doesn’t
> feel like it’s coming off a thrashing machine
> like you will feel with other guide styles and set
> ups. But the two top advantages are how much
> lighter they are and the quality of the stainless
> they use. Being that there so much lighter makes
> the rod more sensitive and the 316 stainless they
> are using is superior to all the other leading
> brands. You will not see the guides ever rust or
> tarnish like some. I did a 2.5 year test in
> saltwater on the mw’s to see if they would rust
> and they are like new still to this day.


Lighter than other guides huh , now thats something that would sway my decision to use them over other guides . 316 (S-6) is indeed much more corrosion resistant than 304 stainless and i have used Alps guides that are 316 for years with no hint of rust but than again i haven't had any stainless guides rust on me. I would be very interested in comparing overall weight to see how they compare to say Fuji's stainless guides.

As far as the accuracy on the cast is concerned thats just an effect of the size of the guide ring ,the less room for the line to move around inside the ring the more accurate the cast will tend to be. One thing is for certain , people LOVE their Microwave guides

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 05:43PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Michael. The MW guides work well, but
> more of a one size fits all kit system. I like the
> versatility of the KR concept, and the KR guides
> cast just as well if not better. Also if you break
> the MW stripper or transition guide you have to
> buy the entire kit to replace them, an expensive
> fix. But they do work well and I do use them for
> people who like their novel look, and those people
> love them. These are some of the things that make
> a custom rod custom.
> Norm



We have had this discussion many times on this board, you do not need to buy a complete set.

We offer a warranty on all of our products. If you have a warranty issue we will replace it free of charge.

If you break one because of carelessness simply give us a call and we will sell you a replacement.

_______________________________
Blessings, Don Morse

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 04, 2018 05:50PM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Norman Miller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree with Michael. The MW guides work well,
> but
> > more of a one size fits all kit system. I like
> the
> > versatility of the KR concept, and the KR
> guides
> > cast just as well if not better. Also if you
> break
> > the MW stripper or transition guide you have to
> > buy the entire kit to replace them, an
> expensive
> > fix. But they do work well and I do use them
> for
> > people who like their novel look, and those
> people
> > love them. These are some of the things that
> make
> > a custom rod custom.
> > Norm
>
>
>
> We have had this discussion many times on this
> board, you do not need to buy a complete set.
>
> We offer a warranty on all of our products. If you
> have a warranty issue we will replace it free of
> charge.
>
> If you break one because of carelessness simply
> give us a call and we will sell you a replacement.


Hi Don , i think people automatically think you have to purchase the set because the way they are offered on Mudhole does not give you an option to just buy the stripper , it gives you an option to buy additional runners for the set but there is no option to buy individual guide sizes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 07:00PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wes Motsinger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All I use are microwave guide system. The
> > advantages I have found are casting
> efficiency.
> > The cast is so smooth and sleek and eliminates
> > wind knots. Another advantage is how much more
> > accurate your cast will be. The line doesn’t
> > feel like it’s coming off a thrashing machine
> > like you will feel with other guide styles and
> set
> > ups. But the two top advantages are how much
> > lighter they are and the quality of the
> stainless
> > they use. Being that there so much lighter
> makes
> > the rod more sensitive and the 316 stainless
> they
> > are using is superior to all the other leading
> > brands. You will not see the guides ever rust
> or
> > tarnish like some. I did a 2.5 year test in
> > saltwater on the mw’s to see if they would
> rust
> > and they are like new still to this day.
>
>
> Lighter than other guides huh , now thats
> something that would sway my decision to use them
> over other guides . 316 (S-6) is indeed much more
> corrosion resistant than 304 stainless and i have
> used Alps guides that are 316 for years with no
> hint of rust but than again i haven't had any
> stainless guides rust on me. I would be very
> interested in comparing overall weight to see how
> they compare to say Fuji's stainless guides.
>
> As far as the accuracy on the cast is concerned
> thats just an effect of the size of the guide ring
> ,the less room for the line to move around inside
> the ring the more accurate the cast will tend to
> be. One thing is for certain , people LOVE their
> Microwave guides


What I wrote about the quality of stainless is that yes 316 is more corrosion resistant than 304. That’s pretty much common sense. And wasn’t really naming a certain brand that did corrode but it wasn’t Batson/ alps..... I see some very “big” named guides come through my shop for repairs and they don’t touch a candle to American Tackle’s grade of 316 stainless. And yes there is different grades of 316

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 07:28PM

I have had to buy a whole set of Microwave guides to replace a broken stripper and a transition guide. They are not sold individually anywhere! Now some of us on rod board may have the option of contacting Don and getting a replacement guide. But those not associated with rod board do not have that option. In most cases, a broken guide is due to an accident, not covered by warranty.
Concerning a few other things. Yes the MW guide set is slightly lighter overall than a KR set, by less than one gram, with all of this being due to a two guide MW reduction train vs three for KR, and that’s with a size 20 stripper for both. If you use a size 16 KLH reduction guide train the KR guides are lighter overall. In addition, in the tip section, where weight has the most affect, KR runners are significantly lighter than the MW runners which only come in a size 5. So the remark that the MW system is lighter is, in part, misleading. As far as corrosion resistance is concerned, it depends on how the stainless is polished and coated not the grade. The Fuji regular stainless frames have very good corrosion resistance, and the new corrosion control stainless frames beats the heck out of anything else on the market except titanium. As far as accuracy is concerned that’s due to the fisherman skill not the guides. If it were due to guides it would seem that size of the runners and tip top size might be involved, for the MW guides only size 5 guides and tip top are used, but for KR guides you have the option to go smaller. Finally, both systems employ rapid choking, and the KR set up gets to choke guide as quickly,if not more quickly, than the MW system. I would like ask those that only use MW guides, if they have ever built a KR concept rod and directly compared it to a MW rod. I have done so, and for my money I would rather use KR guides, but that my opinion and choice. As I mentioned before the guides you use are your choice. Just do not trash a great product to make another product look better. I am just trying to give an informed opinion on both.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.72.---)
Date: January 04, 2018 07:45PM

I agree 100% , at this time there is no option to purchase individual guide sizes with the microwave system and i agree with everything else you wrote EXCEPT that casting accuracy depends solely on a casters skillset , smaller guide rings do indeed help in casting accuracy and that applies to every caster at every skill level but we can agree to disagree . I will not engage in an all out brawl to the death over this Norm so don't challenge me to one , perhaps we can engage in one down the road if you're interested using prehistoric weaponry .

Wes, i WAS NOT questioning your own experiences , i believe everything you said and since you sound like you have more experience with having your own shop you would know better so i appreciate you sharing your knowledge .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: David Lee (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 07:57PM

Both the KR Concept and Microwave system are proven winners. Many have commented on the versatility of the KR concept guides, but the Microwaves also offer versatility in a different respect. You can use different reels and it won't affect the performance as much as a KR guide train which is built around a specific reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Guide System
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 08:18PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
As far as corrosion resistance is
> concerned, it depends on how the stainless is
> polished and coated not the grade. The Fuji
> regular stainless frames have very good corrosion
> resistance,


Norm if that was true then why don’t we just start making them out of hot roll mild steel........



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 08:32PM by Wes Motsinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster