I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Twist Thread
Posted by: Kenneth Probst (47.216.137.---)
Date: January 03, 2018 03:56PM

Can I use the Matallic Twist Thread to wrap guides on a heavy swim bait rod? If so because it’s twisted with nylon do I use color preserver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Twist Thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: January 03, 2018 04:44PM

I would if the twist is any color than black nylon.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 05:53PM

Some people sure like it , stay away from the BLUE as it will fade the fastest , I have been told

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 06:57PM

Do test wraps; one with CP and one without. I sometimes use sparkle silk - similar to what you're using but with silk instead of nylon. Depending upon the thread / blank / metallic filament color combinations and the look you are going for, the no CP option can produce an interesting result.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 08:08PM

Don't forget, you can just do one wrap.
Then dampen with alcohol, it will tell you if the thread needs CP or not.
Will also mimic what it will look like with finish on it.
You might like it that way.
As Donald said, there can be some interesting results without CP.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-216-7.myvzw.com)
Date: January 03, 2018 08:31PM

Kenneth,

I don't use CP on my wraps, and I like the way it turns out. One thing to keep in mind if you don't use CP, is to make sure you do your wrap tie off/loop pull through on the bottom side, or non-visible side of the rod. Without CP you will see the metallic thread of the tie off going under the other thread wraps.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 09:22AM

What brand of thread are you using? All rod wrapping threads I have used in the past,Gudebrod and Holland,were created with opaque nylon threads. The opaque threads did not require color preserver. Nor does the metallic. You can still use CP if you wish. It may darken the base color a bit when coated without it. As has been suggested,dampen a wrap with alcohol to see how epoxy will affect the color.

Posted by: David Lee (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 01:12PM

I was under the impression metallics don't need CP. I use pro wrap metallics on my rod butts and they all turned out just fine.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2018 06:26PM

I would assume the CP would help avoid fading? yes or no? Anyone using any of the Fuji metallic's if so how do you like them. Thanks guys Jaa

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 08:22PM

Fish hawk (YLI) Silk Sparkle works great with no color preserver. If fact I dont like it with color preserver. Been using it for several years with only favorable results. Classic appearance with right blend of silk and nylon.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 08:25PM

Make that right blend of metallic fiber and silk. Very classy, holds up well , finishes well . Speaking of Silk Sparkle.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2018 10:26PM

CP offers no UV fade protection., and metallic s don't need it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster