I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip length
Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:33PM

I’m building a 7’ extra heavy swim bait rod, spinning. Does any one have an idea of how long my grips should be? I am doing soild grips on this rod instead of split grips.

Thanks,
Kenne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip length
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:51PM

Kenne,

We don't know anything about you, or your build, but you can find out for yourself. Install your reel seat on your blank on a bunch of tape arbors, now move the reel and reel seat back and forth till you get the rear grip length you need and just measure it. My guess is it will be around 14 inches give or take an inch, or two.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 07:43PM

Do what Spencer said, put on your fishing clothes and try to cast. I've had to cut several store bought rods when they hit my clothes. 14" is way too long for me.

Date: January 02, 2018 07:45PM

I actually just got done re-reading an article in Rod Maker about the Science Behind this taken into account different measurements between your hand in the rod. I was just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb when ordering components as that is what I’m doing right now.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 07:46PM

Kenneth,
I think that the 12-14 inch length would be perfect.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 09:11PM

Kenneth, check out some factory rods of the same nature. That'll get you in the ballpark.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2018 09:19PM

On a 7' foot rod, once the handle length exceeds the distance from your palm to your elbow, it's really just wasted rod length - you might as well have chosen a shorter rod to begin with. On this rod 10 or 11 inches should be plenty for most folks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2018 09:19PM

On a 7' foot rod, once the handle length exceeds the distance from your palm to your elbow, it's really just wasted rod length - you might as well have chosen a shorter rod to begin with. On this rod 10 or 11 inches should be plenty for most folks.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: January 03, 2018 10:30AM

I like the 14 inch length you speak of! My only question is, in that the entire grip from foregrip all the way to the back of the blank or is that the length of the grip from the reel seat to the back of the blank?

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2018 12:03PM

Tony,

That would be the rear grip length only, not including fore grip or reel seat lengths. Personally, I would be more include to agree with Tom's or Roger's suggestion above on a 7' long swimbait rod. You don't want to be hitting yourself in the stomach every time you cast the rod. Measure the distance between your palm and elbow ond use that as a starting length, then adjust to what feel comfortable to you.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 03:52PM

Hello All.

I'm with Tom on this one, I measure from elbow to the middle of the palm.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2018 04:52PM

You're building this rod on an extra heavy power rod blank, I'd ask what are the sizes and weights of the swimbaits that are going to be thrown on this rod? If you're talking big 12" baits with weights upwards of 6 oz, then I'd be looking at the 14" length that Roger is talking about. A rear grip of that length is going to allow you to easily get the butt of the rod along your side, for leverage while retrieving the bait, and when fighting a fish. With baits that big it is definitely going to be a 2 handed rod, so chances are that the manner in which you'll need to cast, is going to nullify any body clearance problems a long rear grip could cause.

If you're going to go with a 14 rear grip (butt of the rod to the back of the reel seat) I personally would be looking for a longer blank. Something in the 7'6" to 7' 11" length. Are you, or the person you may be building this rod for, married to the 7' length?

If you'll be throwing baits in the 2 - 6 oz range, and the rod is going to be a dedicated swimbait rod. then I'd be looking at the 12" number Roger mentioned. If the rod is going to see double duty as a flipping/ pitching rod, Carolina rig rod, or any other similar bass technique, Then I'd go with the 10" number that Tom mentioned. When you start putting long rear grips on rods used for the latter type techniques, body and rear grip clearance needs serious consideration.

Lynn's suggestion of looking at similar factory rods, is an excellent one. I'd also suggest that if you can, you may want to talk to some muskie fisherman, and see what kind of rear grip length they're using. Either way. if you're throwing big heavy baits. you're going to want to be able to get the butt of the rod along your side.

10" - 11" is perfect for most 7' rods, but a big swim bait rod is a different animal.

Date: January 03, 2018 05:02PM

Awesome David thanks that helps a lot! My next swim bait rod I’m for sure going with a 7’ 11” for my big 6oz swim baits this 7’ will be for no larger then 3oz’s

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2018 05:50PM

Ken,
Thought you said it was X Hvy, that's tweety bird stuff. LOL. Won't need a long grip on that rod, the long grips are only needed if you tuck the rod butt into you arm pit to anchor the rod for the big stuff on the retrieve.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2018 08:41PM

Kenneth, with the bait weights you mention I'm assuming you're going to be throwing baits like a Hudd 68 or 6" and 7" Talons. Maybe something like a 6" Spro BBZ? Like Spencer said, you won't need a long grip with those kind of baits. They're pretty small as swimbaits go. If it's a dedicated swimbait rod, I wouldn't think you'd want or need to go longer than an 11" - 12" rear grip with baits in the weight range you're talking.

But as I mentioned before, if it's going to see duty other than just swimbaits, I'd go with a 10" rear grip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2018 07:22AM

I once had to cut 1 1/2 inches off the butt of my first SCV Legend rod I had built, and screwed up with a rear grip too long, and it caught on my clothing much of the time. That was a tough cut to make! It depends on what kind of fishing you're doing, what your normal motions are, and the clothing you want to wear while fishing. But for me, 14 inches would be about 3 inches too long. Don has it right, in my opinion.

Posted by: John Allgood (216.74.247.---)
Date: January 12, 2018 11:02AM

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread. When I started to fish out of kayaks, long handle rods stuck me in the gut. Sitting in a kayak, a 7" to 9" handle works well.

It all depends on how the rod is to be used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster