I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tuna Rod Advice Requested - Stand Up and Bent Butt Short
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 02:48PM

Hello all and Happy New Year.

Fished all my life, mainly stripers, blues etc. I have fished big game but never on my own boat. Plan is to gear up this winter in hopes of my first tuna fishing from my 25; MAKO this coming season, I have a Penn 80 and want to build myself the rod. I have built about 35 rods but only one Tuna and it was for popping. I live on Cape Cod and will be setting up for trolling. I have a bent butt and a straight butt already, Pac Bay Shorts. I would like to build one of each.

So my question is what blank to use? I have a couple of blanks i bought a few years ago that have been sitting in the shop (I'm sure you can all relate!) that i think might work. They are 6' and although the marking is gone, appear to be 50-80 MH. It's POSSIBLE they are e-glass blanks.

So whats best for me? Dont mind spending the money on a good blank I want it to last me forever.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna Rod Advice Requested - Stand Up and Bent Butt Short
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 05:33PM

Hello Scott.

You Know the butts are interchangeable if the same size so you can use either one with the same rod if you only have 1 Reel.

Do you have a Chair?
If not, I would suggest a short rod of 4-6 feet.

I have several Tuna Rods.
1. Seeker S6460XH.
2. Seeker S6450XXH.
3. Seeker SS-CTSF50XXH.
4. Seeker SS-CTSF55XH.
5. Pac Bay XST56XH- I Have 3.
6. Pac Bay XST60XHS.
7. Seeker GTS60XH.
8. AmTac AXRT-80-W.
9. AmTac AVGC60XH-SV- I Have 2.
Most of my Tuna Fishing without a chair I use 50# stuff.
Most of them (7) are Lamiglas BRT 50 Blanks.
With the 50# gear you have to follow them more but with a harness I can't use 80lb. gear, I am Not that strong, but I can Max-Out the 50#.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 06:50PM

Thanks so much Bob, great info!

No Chair. So you put say, the Seeker S6460XH onto my 19" butt? Sounds like a plan, I knew my bent butt would be a bit longer so I might use my ATX 6 footer for that and prob go with blank from your recommendations. My plan is to keep the 80 (it was an anniv gift from the wife) for the bent butt and pick up a 60 for the standup.

Thank you again sir, I really appreciate you taking the time,

Scott

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 11:56AM

Hello Scott.

No problem.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: January 03, 2018 08:16AM

This is what I do. I like the American Tackle AXST60XH for tuna fishing. Great blank.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.uscg.mil)
Date: January 03, 2018 09:37AM

Excellent, I think I might even already have that blank somewhere in the shop. Thanks Capt!

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2018 10:27AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 06:27PM by Scott Backholm.

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2018 05:30PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 06:28PM by Scott Backholm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster