I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hiding tiedown wraps
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (---.cnrocmta03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 01:52PM

Gents, been thinking about this for a while…..I’ve been building for about a year now. Most of my rods are for myself, my kids, relatives or for fund raising donations so I have a lot of leeway for errors and learnings. I enjoy trying new decorative butt wraps for each but the issue I have is the tiedown wraps for the butt wrap. I’ve been trying to incorporate a hook keeper in my tiedown wrap but ultimately the tiedown wrap becomes too long for my liking. So for my next build I plan install the foregrip after I install the decorative butt wrap, hiding the tiedown beneath the foregrip, and then doing the hook keeper wrap separately above the grip. I’ve thought this through and I don’t think I’m breaking any new ground here in the rod building technology. Surely this is done quite often. So what say ye wise men. Any thoughts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hiding tiedown wraps
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 05:03PM

Hello Larry.

Foam, Cork, Wood or What?
How Thick is your Tie-Off going to be?
Is your Grip going to be as short (or long) as the Tie-Off?
Is there any space between Tie-Off and Seat?
Are you going to Shim from seat to Tie-Off?

Well these are some questions, and there are more!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 05:07PM

use a drop shot hook keeper

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 08:10PM

Larry,
Just as a point in passing.
I personally do not want a hook keeper any closer than 1 - 2 incches from the fore grip or the spot where your hand ends when holding the rod, if you don't have a fore grip on the rod.

I don't want to be able to ever have contact with the hook keeper with my hand, no matter what I am doing when I am actually fishing.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:34PM

I don't do hook keepers very often, I am like Roger but more extreme; no hook keeper. Fuji makes a little plastic hook keeper that you can take on and off and move around easy that I like and is under $4.00. The stripper guide makes a good hook keeper too.

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.uncg.edu)
Date: January 02, 2018 09:57AM

I've noticed in a lot of decorative wrap work many of those guys don't use hook keepers at all. I don't know if it is because it prevents them from having a minimal tie-off like you want, or if they believe it detracts from the look of the wrap, or because they don't want hooks scuffing up their finish at the wrap. I have them in mine, but my tie offs were already long because I am still learning. To put the foregrip on after the wrap is done, you will need to bore it out wider than what it needs at its final location - in order to slide it down past the wrap. So you would need to arbor the foregrip, probably with tape. Then, you will need to make sure you can hide the I.D. gap at the tip-end of the foregrip. A winding check will be difficult, or impossible, to get past the dec wrap since it is a fixed I.D., a rubber one can stretch but that requires force that could goof up your wrap assuming you haven't applied finish to it yet (since you are adding the winding check last). A ramp of thread/finish might work to cover it up.

My opinion is that you can mount the foregrip like normal (before the wrap) use a short tie off wrap at the foregrip like you want, and still have room to wrap the hook keeper on top of that (kind of using the tie-off as an "underwrap"). You can make your keeper wraps pretty minimal since it isn't going to be bearing any real strain. The drop shot keeper mentioned above is a great idea too since it is only one foot.

Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: January 02, 2018 02:14PM

Gents, thanks for the feedback and the hook keeper suggestions. But old habits die hard and this one will as well since there is a new wrinkle involved and a "what the heck-why not" risk involved. My thoughts are along the lines of what Jason is suggesting. Foregrip will be 2" EVA. Ream the foregrip as needed for passage over the dec wrap and arbor the area for snug fit for the foregrip at its final location. Size/install the winding check after the grip is glued down. Then I'll either put down a short under wrap where the hook keeper will be landed just above the foregrip or just wrap both ends of it, which ever looks best, over dec wrap. My biggest concern is messing up the dec wrap as a slide down the grip. Seems to me I'm forgetting something.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.uncg.edu)
Date: January 02, 2018 02:29PM

Larry, I am sorry but I am thinking you will not be able to get a winding check down past the dec wrap. I could be wrong about that; but a thread wrap right up against the foregrip with an epoxy finish ramp might be enough to cover up the gap so that you don't need a winding check. Maybe others have different tricks. And also I was suggesting that the dec wrap tie-off function also as an underwrap for the hook keeper. Just put the keeper right on the tie off and wrap it on with another layer of thread. I am just a beginner and don't want to lead you astray, but I just feel that you are making this over-complicated. That said, if you are willing to give it a try then go for it and learn from it!

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:45PM

Hello,

Have you looked into using a small fly-rod guide as the hookeeper, similar to the ones made by Recoil? Going with the single-foot version would certainly allow you to shorten up the wrap.

Is there a chance you could simply locate your wrap a bit further up, extend the bottom tie-off, then ream the grip to just under the diameter of the wrap itself? i.e. let the wrap be your arbor and install the grip over that. Of course the dec-wrap would have to be completely finished in order to facilitate reaming, then gluing/sliding on the foregrip.

A slow-cure paste epoxy would allow for easy clean up--should you choose to go that route.

chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 06:54PM by Chad Barlongo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster