I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dial vs. Digital, what type of calipers do you prefer?
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 01, 2018 08:28AM

My faithful 6" Mitutoyo dial calipers bit the dust a couple days ago after almost 30 years of rough service. I've been thinking about finally going digital, mainly because my eyesight ain't what it used to be, and the display is easier to see on the digital models I've used. With that being said, what do you have on your bench? What would you recommend or more importantly not recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dial vs. Digital, what type of calipers do you prefer?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:06AM

I like dial, but have no problems with seeing the dial. I like dial because I don't need to worry about batteries and find them, like analog watches, to be more "intuitive" than digital. (for me).

If seeing the dial is the problem, and it is not a problem with digital, then I would not hesitate to go digital.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:15AM

Used a dial for years when reloading and later for rod building. Dial failed a couple years ago and Santa brought me a digital instead of the usual lumps of coal and switches. No idea about the relative accuracy. The digital's primary benefit for me is the ability to switch between mm to decimal inches to fractional inches.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:20AM

I went digital cause it were on sale, took my old standards I used for years to check it in a few places first, it was dead on. Mine stays on for a certain amount of time, you don't use it, it shuts off.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:48AM

I have several of each, but tend to use the dial type a lot more than the digital, especially when it comes to lathe work

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 11:39AM

I use digital for two reasons, 1) as mentioned above multiple readout options, 2) the read out are the same as manufacturers specifications, no having to convert.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 12:12PM

I still use the old vernier calipers, basically because they were given to me over 40 yrs ago. I think they are like using a slide rule, really outdated. Been thinking about updating for a while. I think the digitals sound good. What’s a good brand to get?
Norm

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 01:06PM

I have a Starrett dial pair I've been using for 20+ years. They're easy to see for me. Before that I used verniers.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 02:15PM

the main diff between Dig, & old manual is the Battery ,& the Dig are read out in in different format's , an cost , you can get a Dig. at a reasonable cost an be ACCURATE
where the manual to get the ACCURACY the cost goes up big time , if I remember correctly

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 02:40PM

I have the cheap Mudhole digital. Works great for the most part. It turns on when you move the jaws, but also when you bump it very lightly which is the drawback. But as I said, it was cheap.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 02:58PM

I like the dial calipers, but when I am bouncing between inches and millimeters I like the digital because the conversions are fast, just press a button and you are in either inches or millimeters.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2018 03:54PM

Digital. The reason I got them is the aforementioned, "the eyes aren't what they used to be" even with glasses lol

I got mine from Harbor Freight. They're Pittsburgh brand. I don't know how truly accurate they are, but if they aren't, at least they're consistent in not being so.

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.102.221.100.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 06:03PM

I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade and at work I use a dial. At home in the rod shop I use a digital. I like the digital for rod building because I'm not really proficient with the metric system and the digital makes converting simple. As others have said, batteries are a pain in the butt and it seems they don't last long.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 06:15PM

Hello,

Digital here, for all the reasons listed above.

I make it a point to check the battery/s every so often for leakage--pretty much the norm for LR44 button cells. Upside is that if they do leak, it is usually minimal and easy to clean up, unlike other alkalines. After 6 months or so, I will replace these cells regardless if they still work, as the voltage is fairly low by then--a condition that may cause some instruments to read inccurately.

You also have the option of using pricier and harder to find SR44 cells in lieu of LR's. That would allow for a much longer service and storage life. Indeed, some of the higher end manufacturers (Mitutoyo) specify to use SR44's in their instruments only; anything else will trigger an error code. But, for most of my basic rodbuilding needs, I've found the set of simple $10-$20 calipers--sold by the vendors at left--to be adequate.

chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 03:10AM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2018 09:26PM

I use a a dial on the job and a digital for rod building for the same reason as everybody else here (the conversion).

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 01:45AM

Jay,
Yours is the first Mitutoyo anything I have heard failed after any length of time. Anyone would be hard pressed to find better measuring instruments, dial or digital. I have had the same so-so quality NSK dial calipers for 30 years and, even with my ancient eyes, have fewer problems reading the dial than wrapping #4 micros!!! If you can afford them, stay with Mitutoyo, dial or digital. I would certainly ignore the temptation to purchase any set of calipers for less than $75.00. It may be difficult to ignore the benefit of the ability to switch between metric and inch, at least until the battery dies at the least opportune moment.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 09:29AM

Dial or digital is primarily going to be up to the particular individuals taste. As far as pricing, even the cheaper ones are going to be sufficient, this is rod building and not precision machining. If it has to be that precise, then I suggest you go with a set of micrometers and pin guages.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: January 02, 2018 10:31AM

Dial. Mechanical Engineer by trade and the first REAL place I worked at, the owner made certain that everyone not only received a pair of dial calipers for free, but made sure ALL digital calipers were removed from the floor and basically, for the whole reason of "batteries dying" and once I got dial calipers understood, it was nothing to look at it and know the measurement and the conversion is pretty simple now was well from standard to metric.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2018 06:32PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'm going to send my old pair in for repairs, decided I've had them too long to give up, they're kind of like an old friend.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2018 07:50PM

Or new:

[www.starrett.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster