I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding Check Sizes
Posted by: Ed Holloway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2017 11:27AM

I am a rookie building my first rod so bare with me-----I have a very slim blank I'm working with and need to know what size winding checks to order. I plan on using the black rubber WCs from Mudhole which come in a variety of sizes but nothing really close to the diameter of my blank. Because I do not have my reel seat and handle I can't give an exact measurement of where the winding checks will go, I can only estimate, The areas where they will be installed measure: .37--.35--&.33. The sizes available close to those sizes is .300 & 375. So my question is will a .300 rubber check stretch for the .33 and .35 locations???

Thanks in Advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding Check Sizes
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2017 12:40PM

Ed,

Most all of the Vendors will check a winding check size for you before shipping. In my experience the rubber winding checks will stretch a little to fit the blank. If you talk with the vendor on the phone they will need to know how far up from the butt of the blank you will be positioning the reel seat, grips etc and then they can mark the blank with a china pencil and select the correct size for the winding check. If you are ordering from Mudhole you can add your requests in the comments box provided on their web page. After reading your post in a little more detail, I see you haven't selected a reel seat or grip yet. This makes it more difficult to size a winding check; but most blanks don't taper a lot on the butt area. If by chance you end up with a winding check that is too large you can always add some thread wraps under the winding check before epoxying it into place.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: December 29, 2017 12:49PM

Thanks Don

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-216-7.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2017 01:44PM

Hi Ed,

The other thing you can do is order both sizes.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 07:43PM

The rubber will stretch 5/100 of an inch no problem.

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 08:26PM

I was very disappointed the one time I used those. 12-18 months, they got hard and cracked. Doesn't affect performance, just looks bad.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 08:46PM

Don’t get the rubber ones get the vinyl ones. They stretch and last forever. The rubber one break down after a short time.
Norm

Date: December 29, 2017 10:14PM

How will the rubber ones be with finish over them? I ask because I've already made the order.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 10:47PM

UV light breaks down the rubber winding checks and in my opinion they just do not last. Covering them with epoxy will help some and they will last longer. Mudhole has two listings one for rubber winding checks and the other for rubber/vinyl winding checks. If you bought the rubber/vinyl checks you are fine. If you bought the rubber ones, send me an email with your address and I will send you a couple from my stock, no charge. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2017 09:45AM

Yeah,
I have some of the old brown checks, don't think they are rubber at all as they are shiny and very light weight, got to be 40 years old probably. Look like new, only have the very small ice rod, or huge saltwater ones left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster