I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KW stripper guide
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2017 08:13PM

I've recently been asked to build a spiral baitcaster. New territory for me as I mostly build centerpins and spinning rods. I get the theory, and most of the components were selected by the end-user, but I still need some input. How do I decide what size stripper guide to start with? Fuji makes a 16, 12m, 12, 10m and a size 10 in their titanium kw frame, but I REALLY don't want to purchase all 5 of them just to experiment with. This will have a 3.5" for-grip and it will have a lo-profile (abu revo) reel and either 10-12lb. mono or similar sized braid. ANY thoughts would be appreciated,
Jay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KW stripper guide
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2017 09:12PM

For a Fuji KR micro concept build use either a KW10 or a RV6 as the stripper guide. Since you are going to be using titanium guides I would recommend the RV6. This is followed by a KW5.5 which is followed by KB/KT runners all the same size in a size of your choosing, i.e. 5, or 4.5 or 4. Use three KB runner with the remaining guides being KT runners. If you wish you can substitute a 5.5KB for the 5.5 KW. The stripper will be on top the next guide at 60 degrees and the third guide at 120 degrees, and the rest at 180 degrees. The spacing for these guides is exactly the same as it would be if you were doing a conventional setup with the guides on top. The KR micro concept gives you a very light guide train, that performs exceptionally well.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2017 12:39AM

I would tape the guides in place and do a load test at a 45 degree angle with about 25 pounds of weight and see how the line lays in the spiral around the blank and if the line contacts the blank as it can be done where the line doesn't make contact with anything but the guide rings

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2017 04:04AM

I do mine a little different. On light to medium rods (8-12 lbs mono) I like the RV 6mm on rods up to 7' in length. At 7' plus the a KW 6 will work or any other higher framed guide. I totally agree with Mark about his placement on the transition guides and the running guide sizes. I try to get the line (1) as straight as possible and (2) off the blank, so I will tweak the transition guides as far as distance between each other or position on the curvature of the blank.

Date: December 28, 2017 07:54AM

Thanks everyone. I can't use the micro's on this one, so I'm going with the kw 10, a pair of kw 7's for the transition and kt 7's for runners.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 28, 2017 10:51AM

Not sure what you mean by "can't use micros." For me, 7's are too large. No need to be that big. You can get KB's and KT's in size 6, if that size seems better. I would do all KB/KT5.5's exc the first guide. And maybe the second (90 degrees) whose function is just to keep the line off the blank. I would use a KW 8 for that first guide. But the success of the RV, which is always a 6, and is designed for casting rod first guides, suggests that 6 is enough, especially if it's a little high. I don't think the RV makes a lot of sense for a spiral, IMO.

My preferences are based on the simple spiral which puts all the guides exactly where you would put them on a conventional casting rod build. THEN rotate all but the first guide to 180 degrees. THEN add one guide at 90 degrees half way between the first and second guides. This guide should be as low as possible and the same ring size as the runners. Its only job is to keep the line off the blank. Some omit it. If you're using a KW for the first guide, use a KW for this one, size to match your runners. To lower it, consider bending it.

There are a lot of preferences for spiral layouts, but I don't think anyone has documented performance advantage over the simple spiral.

Consider the side of the reel the crank is on and do your offset guides on that side so when the rod is resting on the casting platform of a boat, both the crank and the guides are up.

Date: December 28, 2017 11:34AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure what you mean by "can't use micros." For
> me, 7's are too large. No need to be that big.
> You can get KB's and KT's in size 6, if that size
> seems better. I would do all KB/KT5.5's exc the
> first guide. And maybe the second (90 degrees)
> whose function is just to keep the line off the
> blank. I would use a KW 8 for that first guide.
> But the success of the RV, which is always a 6,
> and is designed for casting rod first guides,
> suggests that 6 is enough, especially if it's a
> little high. I don't think the RV makes a lot of
> sense for a spiral, IMO.
>
> My preferences are based on the simple spiral
> which puts all the guides exactly where you would
> put them on a conventional casting rod build.
> THEN rotate all but the first guide to 180
> degrees. THEN add one guide at 90 degrees half
> way between the first and second guides. This
> guide should be as low as possible and the same
> ring size as the runners. Its only job is to keep
> the line off the blank. Some omit it. If you're
> using a KW for the first guide, use a KW for this
> one, size to match your runners. To lower it,
> consider bending it.
>
> There are a lot of preferences for spiral layouts,
> but I don't think anyone has documented
> performance advantage over the simple spiral.
>
> Consider the side of the reel the crank is on and
> do your offset guides on that side so when the rod
> is resting on the casting platform of a boat, both
> the crank and the guides are up.

It's a float rod for steelhead, pretty much the same principle as a centerpin. Size 7's are the bare minimum for the Great Lakes area if you're going to use this time of year, which most of us do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster