I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding blank tips
Posted by: Mike Tuma (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2017 07:56PM

So I have spent some time reviewing all the threads I can find on this site and others about sanding down blanks. I understand the health concerns and I am set up and prepared for this. I also spent a lot of time at the stores playing with different rods the last week and seeing how they react when you put a load on the tip. It appears to me that most rod tips don't really start bending until behind the second eye. When I'm sanding down my blank what kind of taper should I look for? I have recorded the measurements every half inch of my current blank and I have a couple extra new ones to refer back to while I'm sanding. I am looking for an extra extra fast tip and this is an ice fishing rod. Glass blank, 26" to center of reel seat. Thank you for the tips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding blank tips
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2017 08:21PM

Tubular, hollow blank, don't sand it, there isn't enough material. Solid tip, your just going to have go play with it.
At the Lamiglas factory they had a guy who knew exactly what he was doing, he only sanded by hand with 600 paper and he only removed the ridges from the epoxy seeping around the tape. Still he messed one up from time to time.

Date: December 27, 2017 09:09PM

It is solid glass

Date: December 27, 2017 09:15PM

Is there any kind of guide to use for solid glass blank and mm thickness for action? Since this is a ice rod I don't have to worry about casting and the effect the sanding would cause to the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2017 09:28PM

Mike,
One good way to do it is to start with a blank that you like.
Then, with a good caliper, measure the blank diameter at 1/4 inch intervals from the tip down for the first 4 inches or so. This is where a lot of the sanding will take place.

Just to keep you sane, you should also take blank measurements at 1 inch intervals from the tip on down toward the butt of the rod using a good caliper.

By taking these measurements and using a caliper to keep you honest, you can develop your own blank to get the action that you wish from the blank.

Be aware, that often, very very small changes in the blank diameter can have a significant change in the action of the blank.

The good thing about using solid fiberglass blanks that are typically less than 30 inches; is that they are very inexpensive. Pretty easy to get blanks for $2 each of this variety. So, if you make a mistake and ruin a blank, it doesn't make you feel bad to toss it into the garbage.

Good luck

Date: December 28, 2017 12:10AM

Thank you so much for that information Rodger. I will proceed with caution. I assumed that much and that's why I bought three blanks to play with.

Date: December 28, 2017 12:23AM

How fast of a taper can I do within so many inches before it becomes too much stress on the blank where it gets to its backbone and breaks the tip-off?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2017 09:59AM

Mike,
That is really up to you. i.e. the amount of taper per length of blank.

I just suggest that you do some experimenting, go slowly and you will get dialed right in.

The nice thing about using a solid fiberglass blank is that you can sand nearly the entire blank away and turn it into a floppy woppy noodle bendable rod tip, but as the Timex commercial says - it just keeps on ticking and bending without breaking.

Hence, the reason to go slow, measure frequently - and creep up on the action of the blank that you wish to use.

Good luck

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 29, 2017 09:24AM

Thanks Roger..good info..

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2017 12:27AM

Mike - Take a look here: [rodbuilding.org]

I've sanded a lot of blanks. I have a furnace filter on a box fan that I place behind my power wrapper. I start with 80 or 100 grit for removing material fast, then go to 220 for most shaping, then drop to 320, 400, and finally 600. I wear a dust mask.

I've also done a few graphite blanks but I wet sand those with 220, 320 & 400.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster