I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More on Left hand retrieve with casting rod
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 10:18AM

One idea is that switching from right to left hand after the cast may help avoid hand cramps
when making many casts during a long fishing day.
Others feel that switching wastes time, it is a personal choice, neither right or wrong.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 10:19AM by Ron Schneider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More on Left hand retrieve with casting rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 11:11AM

Golly, Ron, never thought about it. Would not dream of switching a fly rod from my strong side to the weak side after the cast. And all my spinning rods are set up to keep the rod in my strong hand. But why I learned, long ago and far away, to do the switch from strong to weak with a bait caster is, frankly, a mystery to me. Mark it down as one of those "just because" things.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 12:18PM

Donald
I think I am preaching to the choir.
long ago and far away bait casters had the crank on the right side of the reel and then when the first spinning reels were introduced for some reason had the cranks on the left side of the reel, and this convention remained until the manufactures made reels with the option of having the crank on either side. During that interim if one wanted to fish with both types of reels one had to switch hands after the cast, and folks just got used to that convention. Human nature dictates when one gets used to something it is difficult to change.
I agree with you it seems to me that the hand one casts with is the hand that has the most control of the rod during the presentation so it should follow that the hand with the most control should be used during the retrieve.

I also have to agree with Ron after all is said and done it is a matter of personal choice.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2017 12:35PM

I am right handed but like to use left handed bait casters. I am comfortable with a left hand retreive with a spinning reel. I think bait casters were mainly strong hand retrieve because of the low gear ratio of the reels of that time.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2017 12:39PM

Oh sorry Ron you are talking about switch casting, yeah if I was ambidextrous.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 01:03PM

Some flippers prefer right hand cranks as left hand ones can snag the line if you're not careful.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 02:11PM

I think David Miller nailed it. When I learned to cast the reel handle spun backward - REALLY FAST! In order to retrieve a plug, spinner, or spoon fast enough to interest a fish one had to turn the reel handle REALLY FAST - and for us right-handers that meant reeling with out right hands.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 02:41PM

I think the true reason or purpose for switching will be for injuries or fatigue. Personally I had injured my wrist when I was a teenager and it it forced me to use my left hand. Recently I strained my shoulder fly casting and switched to my left hand to cast, because of my previous wrist injury I have developed a moderate ambidextrous (thanks spell check) ability to use my left hand and left side of my body. At some point we will most likely have an injury and the opportunity to fish at the same time so it will not hurt to practice on different sides.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2017 05:30PM

I have the same strong feelings on this topic, as I do on adding weight to a rod to get the rod and reel combination you prefer. As with the latter, the former is personal choice. Being a personal choice does, as Ron mentioned, mean there is no right or wrong.

But .... just as a lighter guide train offers advantages, so does (with bait casting gear) switching hands after a cast. Are there disadvantages? Yes, but they aren't as detrimental or even existent, as some make them out to be. I could write a chapter on my feelings about this, but I'll spare you folks lol

Instead I'll just offer that reeling with your strong hand offers you more power, and is less tiring while reeling.

Oh and BTW ..... I'm a right handed and use right hand retrieve bait cast reels. For spinning gear I am right handed and retrieve with my left hand. Then again I don't retrieve a lot of hard pulling baits with spinning gear. It's just too tiring. As far as fighting a fish, I fight fish differently on spinning gear than I do with bait casting gear. With bait casting gear I use the reel to bring the fish in, as much as I do the rod.

With spinning gear it's pump the rod, retrieve the line.

Anyhow ..... great topic

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 06:13PM

I agree there is no right (correct) or wrong way, it is a personal choice, based on comfort and control. I am right handed and prefer to hold the rod in my right hand and crank with my left for casting, spinning and fly rods. It feels awkward for me to hold the rod in my left hand and crank with my right hand. I have fished all my life and never felt an advantage to cranking with my right hand, but I grew up using a spinning reel that cranked left handed. Many people grew up using a spin casting reel (Zebco 33) that cranked right handed. But I know it is not that simple, For example, when I am teaching a right hander to fish for the first time many instinctively want to crank with their right hand, and if using one of Spinning reels that means they turn it upside down to crank it. Many of my bass fishing friends have a difficult time cranking with their left hands and most will switch the handles on their spinning reels to crank from the right side. Others will only crank a spinning reel with their left hand and a casting reel only with their right hand. Go figure!
Norm

Posted by: brian rossi (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 07:45PM

I used to cast and switch hands and it never really bothered me until I started flipping and pitching a lot. Then it started getting annoying so I learned to reel left handed, best thing I ever did. Not to mention once you switch you feel comfortable reeling with either hand which makes buying reels easy cause you can go left or right (as long as I'm not flipping with it lol.)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 08:04PM

If one wants to twitch blades and swim baits sort of aggressively with a bait-caster, and has a damaged left rotator cuff that will never get better, he most likely will like a left retrieve bait-casting reel regardless of what he learned with and has used for 60 years. Because handling the rod for this technique takes more power than reeling. And repeatedly doing the same twitching action with the left gets quite tiring and even painful.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2017 08:35PM

Brian, as I said in my initial post, I am right handed and use right hand retrieve reels. I learned to flip and pitch while holding the rod in my right hand, but with those two techniques, switching hands is much less efficient than not having to switch hands. (BTW those are the only two techniques that I feel are less efficient if you have to switch hands)

Because I feel as I do, I taught myself to flip and pitch with the rod in my left hand. For me it was far easier learning to perform those techniques left handed, than it was to learn to use a left hand retrieve reel. Occasionally if I need to, I'll still flip or pitch while holding the rod in my right hand, but now it just feels strange.

My dad is right handed and switched over to using left hand retrieve reels years ago. I have tried using his rods, and I just can't do it. For one, it just feels strange to not have the reel handle on the right side of the reel. And two........ reeling with my left hand is like something from another world.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 08:41PM

Many sporting goods store will put their unsold inventory of casting reels on sale when the new models come out. Since fewer people buy left hand casting reels they undergo the steepest discounts. Over the years I have bought a number of high end casting reels at less than half price. Another advantage for using left hand reels.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 09:38PM

Powerhand Baaitcasting was written by Rich Forhan 20 years ago, it was a good read than and most still be relevant, as I see a used paperback version goes for almost $80.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2017 12:37AM

I learned to use a left hand casting reel when I started musky fishing with large in-line spinner baits. They pull really hard, fatigue was an issue. So I set up 2 rods one left and one right, this really helped with fatigue. One thing that helped me was to hold the left handed reel and crank it while I watched TV. I just cranked the reel and after a few weeks had built up the required muscle memory and it seemed very natural. I then adapted this concept to my bass fishing. I set the bass reels up based on technique. Most of my bottom/dragging bait set ups are left handed, jerkbait rod is also left handed, crankbaits and spinnerbaits are mostly right handed. I can now switch at anytime and never know the difference.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2017 02:54PM

I have really never given it much thought but did wonder why the majority of conventional reels crank from the right while spinners from the left; just figured that was the way it was and followed suit for the past 50 years. I am right handed and use my left hand to hold everything while the right does all the work (including smashing the left at times). My right hand and arm have more control and are stronger. Basically, I use ultralight spinners in the mountains for trout and conventionals for the salt. When fishing for the relatively smaller trout, I cast and retrieve with the right and crank with the left. When fishing salt for larger yellowtail, tuna and calico, I cast with the right (more control) and then SWITCH to holding the rod above the reel with the left during the retrieve while cranking with the right (more power). As long as that is the only aspect in my life where I SWITCH, I’ll be OK.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2017 06:11PM

Orlando Wilson fished left handed reels and wore a Braves hat while doing it, can't get a better recommendation than that.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.11.---)
Date: December 26, 2017 02:55PM

I started because some presentations have me casting into shallow water or areas with heavy vegetation just under the surface. By the time I switched hands I was getting hung up on stuff.

Now I'm comfortable either way. And yes, sometimes you can get a better price on the reel.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2017 05:05PM

I switched from a right to a left-cranking casting reel years ago when I started vertical jigging for lake trout out of a small boat. I would keep the outboard running (back then, I use a trolling motor with spot-lock now), kicking it in reverse/neutral with my left hand against the wind/waves to remain vertical over the fish, which turned into an aerobics workout flip-flopping between the motor and right-cranking reel. Found it much easier to hold the rod with my right hand and run the motor + crank with my left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster