I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Softwood Reel Seats?
Posted by: Brian Nelson (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:06AM

Question for rod builders:
Does anyone have (or has anyone had) experience using softwoods to turn reel seat inserts?
If so, are there any durability issues, since they are not as hard as hardwoods, or does the kind/type of finish used alleviate that?
I have no experience with this, but I've been eyeballing some softwoods that I thought would make some really cool reel seats, so I was just curious...

Thank you in advance for the input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Softwood Reel Seats?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:16AM

Generally, the seat insert doesn't really do anything and therefore it's hardness is not an issue. Many seats utilize cork inserts, which are softer than just about any softwood. So don't worry about it. Use whatever you like.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 12:58PM

Brian,
I have built a lot of rod grips using Cedar - which is a relatively soft wood. But Cedar is nice because if you elect not to apply any finish it is very resistant to moisture caused damage.

I have also built grips using diamond willow which is a soft wood, with a lovely pattern. It works very well.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 05:55PM

The softer the wood is. the more subsceptable to expansion and contraction from the elements. Also finish is a critical item based on penetration of water compounding the issue.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2017 02:09PM

All wood is hygroscopic (absorb moisture) soft woods more so than hard woods. So, best to coat with a finish that provides moisture protection if you wish to maintain the appearance.

Posted by: Brian Nelson (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2017 11:00AM

Thank you all very much for the input!
Tom-that's a good point about the cork inserts, which are pretty soft. Roger, that diamond willow sounds awesome!
So, what would be a good finish? Would, say, marine varnish work?
Thanks for the info!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 04:26PM

Brian.
Lots of folks use Tung oil with multiple coats.

Some folks use instant glue using waxed paper to level the coats and a final trip to the lathe for a final polish.

I personally just use 2- coats of flex coat thread guide coating, doing a light sanding between coats.

Here is a picture of a batch of Cedar handles after the 2nd coat of flex coat has been applied turning in the dryer.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 04:28PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2017 04:47PM

Could always stabilize the wood before turning. [blog.woodturnerscatalog.com]
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 27, 2017 05:38PM

Roger the handles you put up on the photo section are out of this world , great job

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster