I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pro Wraps
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: December 18, 2017 10:38PM

As a hobbiest never happy with my wraps, and macro lenses are the devil's tool. I've never liked anything I've photographed. But today I was on a rod manufacturer's site and saw wraps worse than the first wraps I taught my friend to do. Religiously. All over the site. They weren't even packed or burnished. I was shocked. But I also feel slightly better. They did have nice epoxy, though.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wraps
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 09:39AM

Jon

FYI, some manufacturers out source wrapping to independent contractors. That's not an excuse for the poor wraps. It does speak directly to the manufacturer's quality control, and makes you wonder what in the world the manufacturer's marketing folks were thinking to publish pictures of less than quality work.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2017 10:20AM

The average fisherman is never going to look at the wraps and attention to overall detail the way that a good custom rod builder does.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:05AM

Most rod companies use outwrappers, I've been outwrapping for a lot of years and different companies have different standards, but they all have the same problem, it's hard to get quality workers to work for the low pay. It's piece work, the faster you wrap the more money you make. When you are starting out it is hard to even make minimun wage and once you get good it's still low pay. High quality work takes longer and you don't get paid more for it. You get paid the same for wrapping a hundred dollar rod as you get for wrapping a thousand dollar rod. A custom builder may take hours to wrap a rod where an outwrapper will do three or four rods in an hour. So the highest quality from a factory rod, not very often.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:18AM

it,s not just factory rods, it,s so called custom rods too..i,ve seen the same thing in tackle shops that have custom rods built by someone locally..Tom,s right, very few people look and lots of builders know it.

Posted by: jon tobey (98.99.251.---)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:21AM

Donald, yeah, super high macro images, almost like they were highlighting the flaws.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:55AM

Jon, If you want to see professionally photographed rods with workmanship as near perfection we are likely to ever see, send me an e-mail.

Date: December 19, 2017 12:56PM

Will do!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 03:27PM

Jon, I'd like to see the rods mentioned in your original post. Can you help me out?

Date: December 19, 2017 03:47PM

I wish it was easier to post images here. I don't want to put a link up as that seems bad form. I'll email you.
Lynn, your email is hidden. Please email me if you would like a link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 03:48PM by jon tobey.

Date: December 19, 2017 03:58PM

Jon, I've unhidden my E-mail.

Date: December 19, 2017 04:23PM

Lynn,
Links sent, what do you think?

Date: December 19, 2017 05:12PM

I wouldn't have the nerve to charge someone for such work .

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 07:44PM

I wouldn't have the nerve to give it away.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2017 07:07PM

I believe this is why we build rods. Motivation for the soul.

Date: December 21, 2017 03:13PM

I had a conversation with my son (age 26) and if you've visited the site you'll notice that while the workmanship on the rods is poor, the website itself is very attractive. My son says this is what sells, and younger shoppers can get a rod for around $260.00 by clicking "add to cart" and moving on. He says the average person isn't looking at the product from a rodbuilders standpoint. They might sell a lot of rods. Lets say someone who typically doesn't buy rods wants to give one as a gift. Both buyer and recipient may think it's the best rod they could have gotten. As the recipient you may think differently but you better not sit there and @#$%& about it! I'm running off at the mouth again, Happy Holidays.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: December 21, 2017 03:24PM

I work in software, and everywhere is the same: the lack of craftsmanship. If you want a $200 Rod, TFO and Allen make great rods with high craftsmanship. I bought an Allen rod, reel, line, and case for $150 that is an amazing set up. Therefore, if you are going to go "custom" with your rods, craftsmanship seems implicit. But like so many things blanks have moved from the specialized realm to the democratized realm and with the rise in quantity, quality seems to have fallen. A woman fly fisher friend of mine was showing me all of these sites by women for women. Rods with very intriguing color schemes. Until you look closely. Then the quality is low. I will go way out on a generalization limb her and say that women have long paid premiums for style and its just a shame that the manufacturers are taking advantage of that without also packing in the last little bit it takes to pack a wrap or do an inlay correctly.

Date: December 21, 2017 03:49PM

Your average Wally World rod has better wraps than the subject rods.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 21, 2017 07:46PM

a nice thick glossy coat of epoxy covers all that stuff anyway..lol.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: December 21, 2017 10:56PM

What?! It doesn't cover gaps and bad packing. It does work great on dark backgrouds.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster