I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dancer Rod Varnish Kudos
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 03:30PM

I just got some Rod Dancer from Mudhole. OMG. This stuff is fantastic. It will change everything about how I build rods. No more epoxy (always a harrowing experience if you have had it go bad even once). Being a hobbiest and not a pro, it's super convenient, for instance, to coat the wraps as I go instead of waiting for the whole rod to be done (I had a bunch come undone on me last night as I worked on a tip top, that problem would never have happened if I'd coated them the night before). Cleans up with water. Dries fast and clear. Good build thickness. Zero VOC or smell. Dirt cheap. Easy to work with. I cannot say enough about this product.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 03:38PM by jon tobey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dancer Rod Varnish Kudos
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 04:30PM

hi Jon..it sounds like TM-1?

Date: December 15, 2017 04:34PM

No idea what that is.

Date: December 15, 2017 05:28PM

jon, TM1 or thread master-1 is a rod dancer product that is used in the same way as their varnish..my question is why would one company sell two products that do the same thing and used for the samepurpose?

Date: December 15, 2017 05:42PM

Oh, yeah after I wrote this post, I realized I had actually bought both, and now I have the exact same question. I wonder if anybody out there can clarify. I don't want to be using this wrong. But if they both do the same thing, I'm literally throwing the two part stuff out without trying it. There site doesn't exactly elucidate the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 05:53PM by jon tobey.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 06:26PM

Tm1 is a water based poly urethane finish it isn't varnish totally different thing varnish is most use the varnish for bamboo wrapped rods
TM1 has become my go to for a finish that is tough and can be applied in very thin coats and still give a nice glossy look
TM1 specs ThreadMaster ONE One-Part Rod Finish>>> IT DOES CONTAIN NON YELLOWING UV INHIBITORS

One part premium rod finish.

Non-Yellowing UV Inhibitors
Tougher than Standard Epoxy
More Flexible
Water Cleanup

RodDancer Rod Varnish>>>> NO UV PROTECTION

RodDancer Rod Varnish is a high-gloss, self-leveling finish that is extremely flexible and resistant to scuffs, shocks and cracking. Cleans up with water - no harmful petroleum solvents. IS NOT UV PROTECTED AND WILL EVENTUALLY YELLOW

Are we all on the same line of thought now ?

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 06:29PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 06:53PM

This has been a very interesting discourse.

Date: December 15, 2017 06:54PM

Thanks Matthew..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 07:58PM

The TM rod varnish has a brownish color out of the bottle and is used just like traditional varnish except it is water clean up. The TM one is water clear and will not yellow. It is used as a thread wrap finish just like a two part epoxy finish, except there is no mixing involved and it is water clean up. I just recently tried some TM one and it worked fine for thread wraps. It is much thicker than I expected, it has the consistency of a finish epoxy and is applied in the same manner. It will take at least 2 coats to get a finish that looks good, but you can recoat within an hour. I like it for rod repairs where only one or a few guide wraps are involved. Because it drys very quickly it is good for quickly turning around a rod repair. Since it does not yellow it should work very well on white rod blanks and with white or light colored thread wraps. It also does not darken the color of regular thread as much as epoxy does, nor do you get same translucency. You can not use heat to pop any bubbles that may appear, like you can with epoxy. I don’t like it for clear coating a rod blank or carbon fiber grips, Permagloss is far superior for doing this in my opinion. I still prefer a two part epoxy finish on a rod I am building from scratch. This may be because of my lack of experience using TM1, and not knowing how it will hold up long term. TM high build is still my preferred two part epoxy finish for a number of different reasons.

Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 09:07PM

Norm you have good points as for getting any bubbles it won't happen if you don't over work it the same as you wouldn't over work epoxy to avoid bubbles.
use TM1 directly from the bottle as it has a Yorker cap so there would be no need to squeeze it in to or on to a cup or plate just apply direct to the wrap and drag it with a brush or spatula and your good to go.
as for the durability it is as tough as PG or Luma seal and is more scuff proof then epoxy.
the information I am presenting to the form is from my using it for almost 2 years now and had nothing but excellent results and no problems.
it is like any thing you have to use it and figure out how get the best results and what applications you would prefer to use it on .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2017 09:59PM

Matthew, I really had no problems with bubbles using TM 1, since I did use it directly from the bottle. I bought TM1 on your recommendation and admit that it works very well as a wrap finish. So I thank you! It also has several advantages over epoxy finishes such as non yellowing, and quick drying. But in my opinion, I like Permagloss much better as a rod clear coat finish. I can coat an entire rod in just mere seconds using Permagloss and it comes out very smooth and glossy with no streaking and it dries very quickly into a very hard and durable finish. TM 1 is thick and does not go on as smoothly or as easily as Permagloss. Tried wiping it on and also using a foam brush and I was not nearly as happy with the finish as compared to Permagloss. Maybe I could get better at it with more experience, but Permagloss is very easy to use and does everything I could ask for in a rod clear coat. In case, anyone is interested here are the application techniques for TM1. It is a good product.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 11:49PM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster