I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Open water sturgeon rod
Posted by: Mike Tuma (172.56.12.---)
Date: December 13, 2017 04:24PM

I am looking for a suggestion on a blank to use to make an open water sturgeon rod.  The rod I have right now works but I need another one for a guest, my wife, or upgrade for myself.  What I am using right now is the rod I had built many years ago from Thorne Brothers for trolling for muskies.  It is similar to the glass trolling blank that ST. Croix made for e-glass series catfish rod (discontinued).   The blank is FM90BK (they call it F-90M now).  It is a 9’-0” blank that I had 6” taken off the tip (8’-6”).  For my new build I would like a blank that has a softer tip and fast action, stronger butt/mid-section, and around 8’-6” to 9’-2” (would be the finish length).  I am thinking of sticking with a glass rod for the strength and most of the time I have the rod in the holder and am watching the tip.  Thank you for the help and tight lines.
Edit: this will be for MN lake sturgeon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 04:43PM by Mike Tuma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open water sturgeon rod
Posted by: Mike Tuma (172.56.12.---)
Date: December 13, 2017 04:47PM

I just notice in the search how to look back past 30 days and found this post
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Tuma (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2017 09:03PM

Spencer Phipps recommend a Batson Rainshadow SWS597 in that post. At 7'-10" the blank is a little shorter than what I was looking for. But I can learn to extend the butt of the blank. The only problem I have with this blank is that it is parabolic. I have read on other forms that this would not be their first choice in a blank. But they didn't say what one would be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 09:24PM by Mike Tuma.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2017 10:00PM

Musky Rod Series - MKY80MHF rod geeks sponsor on the left hand side of this page

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Mike Tuma (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2017 11:15PM

Thank you for your insight Paul. I live in MN is there a way I can get my hands on some of these blanks to see them in person before I buy one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 11:30PM by Mike Tuma.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 14, 2017 12:01PM

RCLB 80 XL
I have 2 for my personal use, and built 2 more for friends (who are super happy with the way it performs)
Also have one SW967F, built it this year and use on my sturgeon trip in october. It is different rod, but was performing very good as well.
If you fish from boat I would go with RCLB80XL. I have one with cord wrapped handle and Fuji heavy duty saltwater reel seat. Light and thick enough for rod holders.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2017 01:11PM

call them direct and they will help you and answer your questions
333 Broadway, Suite 408
Troy, NY 12180
1-844-RODgeek (763-4335)
M-F 9 am- 5 pm

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2017 08:10PM

Don't know where you got your info, the SWS597 blank is in no way a parabolic blank, it is in fact fast to X fast, if I remember right it has a 5.5 tip. Email me your email and I'll be happy to send a pic of the blank in action. We use them for targetting keeper sized sturgeon in the Columbia River which are similar in size to the big midwest sturgeon, but we have heavier current flows. Largest sturgeon I've caught on the blank, just under 8 ft. Works best with fish 25-100 lbs.
It's a large butted blank so extending will take some bigger materials than many have around their bass/walleye shops, but it could be done.
Also a nice catfish blank, and many other things you will think of.
Like Sergiy, I've also used the RCLB80XL, and it is one of the favorites of the Batson clan for sturgeon. Batson builds a RCLB810L, 8 ft. 10 in. blank, but I've not used one, the people at Batson can help you. They have all built on the SWS, SWB and RCJB blanks for sturgeon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 09:58PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mike Tuma (172.58.83.---)
Date: December 15, 2017 02:41PM

Thank you for clearing up the information about the blank for me Spencer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster