I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speed controller
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.65.---)
Date: December 12, 2017 10:01AM

I am in a process of rebuilding my homemade wrapper, and at some point i decided to go ahead with adding a sewing machine motor to it. I have a motor and pedal, its 5000 rpm motor. I know i need to add rheostat or speed controller to slow it down to wrapping speed, but not sure which one to buy and how exactly do it to make it work.
I am looking at something like this [www.amazon.com]
Will it work?
I will be using separate dc motor for drying and applying finish

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed controller
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.65.---)
Date: December 12, 2017 10:10AM

I read numerous posts regarding using dc motor for wrapping, and open to that idea as well. However, i cannot find any information on foot pedal for use with dc motor. Anyone knows where i can find one? I have manual speed controller for 24v dc motor, from 1 to 100 rpm, which will be used for finishing and drying. If i can add foot pedal to it i can use it for wrapping

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2017 11:51AM

Sergiy,

I used a sewing machine motor when I built my wrapper. I also used the foot pedal from the portable sewing machine. I just picked up a rheostat from the local hardware store and wired it in line of the 120 volt supply to the motor. The rheostat is one that is used as a light dimmer switch. It works great!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.55.---)
Date: December 12, 2017 01:14PM

Thanks for answers
I already have dc speed controller
[www.amazon.ca]
It works good with my 100 rpm 24v motor. Not sure if it can be use with the pedal you talking about.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2017 08:37PM

Sergiy,
It is likely that your controller could be used with the pedal that I referenced. Disassemble the controller and check out the variable resistor and let me know. If you can, take a picture and mail it to me and I can let you know for sure.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 12, 2017 09:06PM

Roger, for some reason i cannot find your initial answer anymore. It has dissapeared somehow and i cannot see it.
I did check prices for the pedal you have mentioned and unfortunately its too much of unjustifiable investments for me. I dont build tor money, its hobby for me which i do love. I will look in option of maybe getting used pedal and do conversion you are talkng about.
I still want to find the answer if the co controller i mentioned initially would work. It seems like much less expensive option and might work just fine.

P.S. Tom, sorry if somehow i unintentionally have broken forum rules. I was just looking for answer which i cannot find anywhere.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2017 12:05AM

Some links to various foot pedal designs using the rack and pinion design theory to extend the amount of resistor rotation due to foot pedal action.

[www.google.com]:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster