I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top question
Posted by: Mark Brown (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2017 07:26PM

sorry if this a rookie question. I have a vapor trail 1101-2 blank recently purchased. I was looking to put titanium Fuji K running guides size 10 along with tip top size 10 ring. The tip top for this blank is sized 2.2mm. Closest fit is TMNST 10(6) which is 2,4mm. It there another Fuji tip top that I'm missing or do I need to look at another manufacturer. Thanks, Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2017 09:33PM

Tough find, there are very few tip tops with a 10 ring and a 5.5 tube, and as far as I can tell none with a titanium frame. The Fuji MGST 10(5.5) would be your closest fit but it comes in gun smoke frame, not titanium. Another option would be to use your TMNST 10(6) and make the tip a little larger by wrapping it with a fine thread, or coat it with a thin coat of epoxy, or trim the tip back a little at a time until the tip top fits, probably a little less than 1/2” would do it. Final option, you could use a titanium tip top with a size 8 ring.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 09:38PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2017 01:23AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tough find, there are very few tip tops with a 10
> ring and a 5.5 tube, and as far as I can tell none
> with a titanium frame. The Fuji MGST 10(5.5) would
> be your closest fit but it comes in gun smoke
> frame, not titanium. Another option would be to
> use your TMNST 10(6) and make the tip a little
> larger by wrapping it with a fine thread, or coat
> it with a thin coat of epoxy, or trim the tip back
> a little at a time until the tip top fits,
> probably a little less than 1/2” would do it.
> Final option, you could use a titanium tip top
> with a size 8 ring.
> Norm

first option
use your TMNST 10(6) and make the tip a little
> larger by wrapping it with a fine thread, a weight should do use epoxy to attach the tip wet out the thread and your good to go

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 01:24AM by Matthew Paul.

Date: December 11, 2017 10:32AM

Mathew is a little different than me, I would never attach a tip top with epoxy. It makes getting the tip top off,when you need to do so, more difficult. If you insist on using epoxy use 5 min epoxy, it breaks down with less heat than other epoxies.
Norm

Date: December 11, 2017 11:34AM

Thanks for the input. I didn't even think to wrap it. That sounds easy enough or downsize my runners but I am hesitant to go smaller than size 8. I would be scared to death to cut the tip of the blank, likely because of lack of experience. Thanks again!!!

Date: December 11, 2017 12:07PM

Do not know what you are going to use this rod for, but size 8 runners and tip top are large enough to pass just about any knot you would want to use plus they weigh less. Because the tip of your rod has a small diameter, you might be better off using smaller runners just to reduce the weight in the tip section. This will make your rod more responsive.
Norm

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: December 11, 2017 12:52PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mathew is a little different than me, I would
> never attach a tip top with epoxy. It makes
> getting the tip top off,when you need to do so,
> more difficult. If you insist on using epoxy use 5
> min epoxy, it breaks down with less heat than
> other epoxies.
> Norm

RodDancer 5 min gel epoxy is designed for tip-tops and will release easier with heat than other epoxies.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.65.---)
Date: December 11, 2017 03:04PM

I much prefer a size 8 ring as the Tip Top on my CTS surf rod as i view the size 10 and 12 overly large . I tried 8 runners but went down to size 7 runners which i like a lot , both perform very well .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 11, 2017 05:03PM

Mark, I would never cut a tip of a blank off to get a larger diameter. Or for any other reason. It is also my opinion that epoxy is simply the wrong material for tiptops, regardless of what kind it is. Ferrule cement is a good hot melt to use.

You have just been introduced to the differences of "reality" between members of our "cult." Welcome!

Date: December 11, 2017 07:33PM

Thanks for the great suggestions - I was planning on throwning some lures in the surf / inlets for stripers / blues with anywhere from 20-40lb braid/ maybe 50 lb max here in the northeast. I may just do what you guys did with your runner and go down a size. Thanks again. I do have size 7 runners coming as part of a set of K-guides I ordered from mudhole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster