I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What could be the effect of freezing temperatures on rods and blanks.
Posted by: Frank Mintz (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2017 09:18AM

I could move some of my rods and blanks to an unheated garage which would be exposed to freezing temperatures over the winter months. What effect would the freezing temperatures have on the integrity of the blanks both fiberglass and graphite? Any effect on finished rods (adhesives used on reel seats and epoxy on the guides)? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What could be the effect of freezing temperatures on rods and blanks.
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 11:07AM

freezing temps little or none but where the problems come in is with excessive heat

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 11:52AM

The winter steelhead anglers in the midwest would say no, so would the ice fisherman. All the pilots and crews using composite parts in their airplanes would say your good to go also.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2017 12:16PM

Aircraft manufacturers also believe carbon is safe to use in below freezing temps. It's quite stable at cold temperatures. It does not become "brittle" at the sort of temperatures we'd be talking about for winter fishing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2017 09:52PM

I agree with the others, no ill effects. My boat is kept in my unheated garage all winter, (I live in northeast Ohio) and my rods stay in it sometimes until spring, when I bring them inside to do reel maintenance. The only ones I bring in over the winter are my flipping and pitching rods. And that's only because I like to stay sharp, so I practice them inside over the winter.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 10, 2017 07:24AM

david, that,s one of the good things about flipping, you can do it all winter with two feet of snow on the ground.lol.

Date: December 10, 2017 08:51AM

lol Ben .... you got that right! lol

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 10, 2017 12:07PM

David, here,s a game you can play..set a mouse trap and see how few flips you need to set it off..man, i think it,s going to be a long winter..i,m getting stir crazy already.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2017 07:14AM

I practise flipping/pitching all winter long in the yard, bushes, trees, fence post, pine cones, doesn't matter at what, anything that presents a target.
It keeps my skill set in tune for when spring flipping fishing weather returns.

and it also keeps the neighbors away from the crazy man waving a stick around in his yard.

Date: December 14, 2017 06:49PM

Ben, that does sound fun. The thing is ... two years ago I pulled out my custom travel cover out only to find some mice had decided it would make great material for building a nest. (they chewed the heck out of it) ever since that day I have kept my mouse traps busy in my garage. Especially during the winter months.

One thing I do, do, is I made a couple of V block stands (like rod drying stands) that are 5" high at the bottom of the V. I lay an arrow between them and practice pitching and flipping my bait under it.

And lol Steve. I've gotten those kind of goofy looks too. ........ it's going to be a long winter .....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster