I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2-piece Phenix Rod Hypalon Trouble
Posted by: Dane Griffin (---.au-net.ne.jp)
Date: December 08, 2017 08:59PM

Hello all, hoping for some quick advice on a build I’m about to start. The blank is a Phenix Titan Popping rod, 2-piece construction. The part I’m having trouble with is the fact that the lower section has no taper whatsoever, the diameter of the upper and lower sections are quite different. I’d like to have hypalon grips but I figure I’ll have a @#$%& of a time sliding them on, as I cannot use the taper of the rod to my advantage. The diameter is 0.74”, so it looks like .625” looks like the best ID for the job. Does anyone have any better ideas than muscling it on and potentially bunching the hypalon up? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-piece Phenix Rod Hypalon Trouble
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2017 09:04PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You may have to utilize the tip section for your taper.

Posted by: Dane Griffin (---.au-net.ne.jp)
Date: December 08, 2017 09:08PM

Tom, I may try that, but like I mentioned, the two sections have significantly different ODs. Do you think doing that will still give me an advantage?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 09:14PM

you will need to ream the grips pretty close to the size of the blank and then just butter up the blank and ad some to the inside of the grip and it should slide to where you need to have it with out any problems and the epoxy that you use will fill in any voids from reaming and hold it firmly in place with no possibility of slippage
wipe off the excess epoxy and let it cure for the mfg recommendation
I would use a slow cure 15 min or 30 min epoxy if you would need to make any adjustments one way or the other

I also would give the grip that you are choosing a light ream to rough it up inside the difference in the dia of the grip and blank is .12 not that much should slip easily with a well buttered bland and with the addition of some to the inside dia of the grip

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: December 08, 2017 09:34PM

It will help, but as Matthew mentions there is not necessarily any reason to have the grips much smaller in ID than the butt's OD. You just need to get the epoxy in the right place to start with so it will lube the blank on the way down, and get just a little help getting the grip started on that butt section. I suggested using the tip section but you could as easily use a tapered dowel, section of scrap rod blank, etc.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: December 08, 2017 09:37PM

Use the rubber cement method. Get the large ID, no reaming needed.

Date: December 08, 2017 10:42PM

Dane Griffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rubber cement method? Like what Salt Dawg shows in
> his grip placement video? Can you please explain?
> Thank you.

it is the same process that I detailed for you with the exception he uses brute force to slip fit the grip down the blank.
as he doesn't ream the id of the grip to close blank od doing that further down the road after the rod is exposed to the elements the grips often times split open.
The best advice any one can give you is to hurry up and slow down and do it right the first time so you don't have to do it right the second time.
My advice is to take the extra step and ream the grip close to the blank od better fit and no issues down the line

Wi.

Date: December 09, 2017 12:44AM

Yea and the grips he uses in the video are correct size for the blank got that did you and if they aren't then what do you do ?? that is where force comes in just push a little harder or take the time to ream it closer to fit.
the difference in what I said is I prefer epoxy as versed rubber cement the wipe effect that your all gaga over is the same with rubber cement or epoxy been doing it since the 60 's that way nothing new old method with new adhesive lubricant.

Wi.

Date: December 09, 2017 09:44AM

Gaga??? Nope, I got gaga when automatic transmissions came in. If you had trouble with the rubber cement installation method, you may have missed a step in the process. Use it if you want to or not. It is a game changer for a whole lot of rodbuilders. For me, I'm always on the hunt for something that makes the process easier and quicker. And a .625 grip would go like butter on hot toast. I have samples in the shop of some pretty small id grip material on some pretty good sized blanks. Bu what do I know?? At least I don't struggle to ream the stuff.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 09:46AM

If the lower section of the blank has no taper is it not possible to load the grip from the rear? Maybe with a little tapered plug on the rear to help get the grip onto the blank?

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 10:54AM

I've never worked with hypalon
EVA I've worked with
any difference in rubber cement technique.?

Date: December 09, 2017 12:08PM

Yes you could install it from the rear with the help of some sort of tapered plug or scrap rod section as outlined above in my earlier post. It's not hard and no real force is required.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.56.---)
Date: December 09, 2017 12:10PM

Bert,the technique stays the same.There is a minor difference between the two materials and any technique used. The EVA needs to be closer in diameter to the blank than hypalon. The reason being that hypalon can stretch more than the EVA without splitting. When I did my building with hypalon,I would routinely use 1/2 in. hypalon for butt grips on blanks to 3/4 in. or a bit larger. My customers and I preferred the extra hardness/firmness provided by compressing it from the inside out. EVA is not so forgiving. The grip ID needs to be closer to the OD of the blank.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 12:15PM

Hi Grant. how well does the rubber cement work with cork?

Date: December 09, 2017 12:27PM

Can't say Ben. All my cork work is with rings, reamed to fit. Cork won't stretch. Was that a trick question??!!

Date: December 09, 2017 12:27PM

If there is no taper, and you need a tapered plug to help install from the rear, you'll need a tapered plug to help install from the front. Installing from the rear will make clean-up a LOT easier.

Date: December 09, 2017 01:28PM

Grant, no, i should have been more explicite..is it a good enough cement to hold rings to each other and hold completed grip to the rod..thanks

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 04:50PM

Chuck,
Thank you - I'll keep your advice in mind when working with hypalon
great info from experienced users on this forum

Date: December 09, 2017 05:35PM

Ben, I don't think rubber cement is trustworthy for either application you mention, especially cork rings. I KNOW that epoxy is like a rock for both applications.

Date: December 09, 2017 05:51PM

thanks, Michael..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster