I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 12:57PM

I would like an opinion for spacing 8 guides, Pac bay minima 4 single foot.

The blank is a light to medium spinning and flexes from the upper 1/3

Distance from tip to center of reel seat 72 inches with the butt guide at 24 inches from center of reel seat.

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 01:48PM

have you tried CTS Data base? too the left under sponsors

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 02:41PM

What’s he total length of the rod? I assume 7’. What size reel and type of line are you going to be using? What kind and size of Minima 4 guides are you going to be using? Need more info.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 03:30PM

John,
Pretty easy.
When I set up a rod like this I take a roll of 1/4 inch wide tape and cut off a bunch of strips that I stick to the side of the table top.

You have already set up your butt guide.

So, I just place the tip of the rod against the wall, ceiling or floor and begin to put the blank under load. At the location, where the first bend is noticed, I place the first guide down from the tip. Then, I flex the rod more, and when I find the 2nd spot where the rod is flexing, I will place the 2nd guide. I will continue flexing the rod more and more by loading the rod, continuing to place a piece of tape on the blank at these location. When the blank is fully populate with tape, I will more or less stand back and with the rod loaded, do a mental check of the line flow to see if the line is flowing nicely following the contour of the rod. If so, I will temporarily tape the guides on the rod at that location. I will also drop the tip over the tip of the rod blank. Then, I will put a reel on the reel seat, thread the lines through the guides and tip and flex the rod - as under load.

With the blank loaded, I will check the line flow to verify that the guides are causing the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank. But, if necessary a guide will be tweaked back and forth or a guide added or removed.

Once these points are established for that particular blank, I will measure the guide position and record the numbers for any potential future builds.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 03:57PM

I would try the first guide about 18-21 inches from the tip of the reel axle and go from there. I'm not sure where 24 from the reel seat center puts it, but seems like it may be a little long.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:34PM

Bill -
Thanks will search.

Norman -
Total - 7ft, I don't think the total length is relevant , the important dimension is the distance from tip to center of reel seat which is 72 inches.
Guides - KSV4KG series (Mudhole) 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 6, 6, 6.
Reel- Shimano Stradic 2500
Line - power pro 20 lb moss green

Roger-

Thanks a very nice practical solution.

Thanks all

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 04:55PM

I suspect that if I were building the rod, I would simplify the guide set and go with the following:

26,16, 10, 6,6,6,6, 6 6 tip top. More or less #6 runners as needed. Pretty common these days to choke down pretty quickly and the rod performs just fine with the fewer guide sizes.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2017 08:11PM

The guides that you listed are more suitable for the old Cone of Flight (COF) guide set up. Roger’s suggestion is more for a New Guide Concept (NGC) set up, which I think is a better choice. The measurement from the center of the reel seat is not particularly helpful. A more pertinent measurement would be from the tip of extended spool spindle. For example, using the reel seat in the uplocking position will put the tip of the spindle 1.5”-2” closer to the rod tip then using it in the downlocking position. This does make a difference when placing the stripper guide. In your case the stripper would be placed about 19”-21” from the tip of the spindle. Here is a library article by Tom Kirkman pertaining to NGC guide placement that may be of help to you. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 09, 2017 01:21PM

Measuring from the middle of the reel seat sounds like old school Dale Clemens method.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2017 11:56AM

John,

You might try this

Distance from tip

4.2___8.9___14.2___20.0___26.5___33.8___41.9___50.9

If you wish to maintain your butt guide spacing

4.0___8.4___13.4___18.9___25.1___31.9___39.6___48.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 12:01PM by Eugene Moore.

Date: December 10, 2017 12:57PM

Lynn

You revealed my generation. Old school methods with some modifications, have proven very successful over the years. I have tried Cone of Flight and New guide Concept and all have their pros and cons. I have demos of each type and I leave it up to the client to choose their style.

Eugene

Thanks for your effort that is the info I was looking for. I will try it and will make adjustments as needed.

Roger and Norman

Again thanks for the information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster