I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Power Wrapper
Posted by: Joel Kunz (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2017 09:05PM

I’m in the process of wrapping my first rod using this wrapper. The upper rollers on both of the spring loaded rod supports make no contact with the blank. Hence the blank just rests on the two lower rollers. Are there any alterations that can be made to have those upper rollers hold the blank in place. I don’t see myself wrapping any rods thick enough for these rollers to work with the current setup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Power Wrapper
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 07, 2017 12:29AM

Are some of the rollers maybe reversed? The at least one of the three rollers should be offset in each group.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2017 10:45AM

Don't the lower supports adjust to raise the blank?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2017 11:41AM

Joel,
I went to the 2017 Batson enterprises Catalog and found a picture of the Alps wrapper which is supplied by Batson.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Notice that the lower set of rollers is adjustable. You should place a rod in the wrapper chuck and then, starting at the butt guide, the height of the lower set of rollers should be raised to insure that the rod is resting level.
Then, the height of the lower set of rollers for the rest of the rod rests should also be adjusted and raised so that the rod continues to sit level as you go through the rod. By raising the lower set of rollers, you should be able to have nice contact with the upper single roller no matter the diameter of the blank.

However, if you do find that you do not make contact on some of the tip areas of the blank - you can fudge a bit and gradually increase the height of the rod rests as you go down the rod. The wrapper will still function just fine if there is a bit of vertical rise in the rod down the length of the rod blank.

To be sure, double check the picture and compare it to your rod rest. You want to be sure that the rod rest has been assembled correctly as shown in the picture.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 11:43AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.177.---)
Date: December 07, 2017 02:39PM

The rod supports with the spring loaded upper arm are useless on the smaller diameter sections of the blank.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 07, 2017 03:11PM

Looking at Roger's photo, it appears the spring arm would be too short to reach the blank no matter the height of the lower rollers! Bad photo angle to tell for sure.

Date: December 07, 2017 08:06PM

Thanks for all the comments. But I believe Gary is spot on. The spring loaded upper arms are useless.

Date: December 07, 2017 10:10PM

If what you say is true, that the lower rollers can not be raised enough to do the job; there are two very simple fixes for the issues.

1. Just make a new longer arm for the upper roller. Just take an aluminum bar of the appropriate length, drill a hole in each end as one in the middle for the spring. Bolt the roller on the end hole and mount the arm on the rod rest.
The idea would be to make the arm long enough so that the roller would be able to engage the lower roller.

2. Or, an even easier thing to do - assuming that you can locate one, is to just install a larger roller on the end of the upper arm. I can't really tell, but perhaps you could measure the diameter of the roller for me. It appears to be about a 1 inch shower door roller with an O ring on it. I have a bunch of 2 inch rollers that would work and you would just have to bolt one on in place of the upper rollers.

Here, for example are some 1 3/4 inch nylon ball bearing rollers that might be of sufficient size to take care of the problem:

[www.homedepot.com]

================================
If you want to simply extend the length of the upper arm; here is some aluminum flat stock that would do the job just fine:

[www.homedepot.com]

----------------------------------------------------

By the way; here is a picture of the rod rests that I have been using for the last several years that I made from aluminum bar stock, plastic cutting boards and ball bearing rollers with an 0 ring on the outside of the rollers.
Both the lower bar can be adjusted up or down to insure that level of the rod, and the upper arm can swing down or up to allow loading of the rod and to contain the rod when lowered. I lock the loser pair of wheels solid and then on the upper arm, I have a lock nut to adjust the tension of the upper arm enough so that It can be moved up and out of the way and it will stay. Or, the arm and roller can be lowered onto the rod, and the friction from the locking nut and washer will hold the upper arm secure to capture the rod.

When I designed the rod rest, I tool measurements of the height of my wrapper chuck as well as sizes of all of the various blanks that I might be wrapping to insure that I would have the full adjustablilty and lockability of the rollers onto the rod to both make for easy loading as well as to secure the rod in place when the upper roller came down:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

=======================
In your case, I think that the change to a longer arm on the upper roller would solve your problem.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 10:20PM by roger wilson.

Date: December 07, 2017 10:27PM

If you take a look at the American Tackle as shown in the Mud Hole catalog, there obviously isn't any issue with the upper roller holding the rod:

[www.mudhole.com]

If the problem with the Alps rod rest simply caused by the upper roller being mounted too high on the rod rest?

If the upper roller is mounted too high, is there enough material in the rod rest, so that you could drill a lower hole in the rod rest to move the upper roller to a lower position, and still have a firm amr support?

Be safe

p.s.
I just looked up the American Tackle rod rest on their catalog page. Here is a view of the other side of the rest:

[www.americantackle.us]

Perfect design. In the case of the American Tackle rod rest, both the lower pair of rollers as well as the upper roller are mounted on an amr - each of which will adjust vertically. Excellent.
This means that the upper roller can be moved completely out of the way. Then, the lower pair of rollers can be moved vertically, so that the full length of the rod is adjusted vertically. Then, after all of the lower rollers are set in place, each of the upper rollers on the vertical sliding arm with the slot in the arm can be adjusted vertically to lock the rod in place, but still keeping the horizontal alignment of the upper roller at the center of the pair of lower rollers.

I wonder if the American tackle rod rests have the same mounting dimensions as the Alps wrapper?

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 10:34PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: December 08, 2017 11:02AM

One phone csll to Batson's and your problem will be solved. You have one of the best machines on the market and a company to back it up.

Date: December 08, 2017 03:14PM

As per your suggestion Grant, I just got off the phone with Batson and their trying to locate me some larger rollers. Thanks

Thanks Roger for going above and beyond. I viewed your setup. Wow is all I can say. Nice

Date: December 08, 2017 03:46PM

Joel,
I was thinking about your particular issue this morning and another solution that would work very well would be to take an aluminum strip of 1/2 inch wide x 1/8th inch thick aluminum stock that would be longer than the very longest length needed to solve your issue.

The, starting from about 1/2 inch from the top of the piece, mill a slot in the piece of strip back as far as your current roller location. Then, drill a hole in the unslotted end of the stock to remount on your rod rest. Then, put a double nut on the bolt that holds the single wheel to the bar with a locking wing nut. Clip the spring to the hole you make for the spring and you will be good to go.

Then, in use, whenever needed, loosen the locking bolt on the upper wheel, slide the wheel to the location where it will nicely secure the blank in place and then tighten up the locking wing nut to secure the wheel on the slotted arm.

----------------
This is just the simple and inexpensive way to give your single upper wheel the necessary adjustibility to work with your rod rest.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:16PM

A few different pictures of rod rests to give you an idea of the types of rests currently in use:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 09, 2017 07:17PM

After building my first rod with this wrapper, I applied threadmaster using the dryer setup on this unit. I went downstairs after about 4 hours drying time to shut it down. I noticed the rod wasn’t turning. Here the dryer motor shaft with the pulleys attached to it literally fell out of the motor. Had to strip some of the rod due to the finish sagging and redo, and lost the rod decal in the process. Really disappointed.

Date: December 09, 2017 08:48PM

Joel,
I assume that you have talked to Batson about the dryer motor and they are going to make it right for you aren't they?

Roger

Date: December 09, 2017 09:35PM

Roger,
I sent them an email last night. Hope to hear from them early next week. Talked to a guy there yesterday about the roller situation. He was trying to locate some larger rollers. If I don’t hear back from him, I’ll call in a few days.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2017 05:33AM

Get the slide adjust and your problems will go away. The spring adjust do not work for small dia rod tapers [www.getbitoutdoors.com] I would tell them to exchange them if this is a new wrapper!! The worst part is - They don't work and they Know it !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 05:37AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2017 10:36AM

I personally cannot stand the spring type hold downs. Even on my FlexCote finishing machine, I went ahead and modified with a slightly stronger spring. Both of my wrappers have the slide type top rollers

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster