I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank joint fit issue
Posted by: Jon Strauss (197.27.67.---)
Date: November 28, 2017 05:22PM

Greetings all,

I am working on a 14’ 3pc surf casting rod and I noticed a fit issue between my tip and middle sections. The two sections seat well and with good depth, but when I wiggle the rod I can feel a slight vibration in the joint. I suspect that there is a slight mismatch in the tapers. I plan the do some light sanding, and twisting the sections together to try to wear the joint in, but I am not certain exactly where to sand.
Anyone have some creative solutions?

Best Regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank joint fit issue
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2017 05:49PM

put some chalk on the male section the length of the fit and do a rotation of the blank pieces, then separate them and see if you can detect and area where they are not mating. This of course is not where you want to sand, as it is already a lesser diameter.. Another possible solution is to remove a very small portion of the female end so that the male end penetrates further. Hope this passes the censors! LOL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2017 07:14PM

We did a very comprehensive article on how to fit ferrules in RodMaker. Way too much to go into here. Bottom line is that you need to determine where the fit is off. Trimming a tiny bit from either the tip or butt, may perfect the fit. But you need to know which is the right piece to trim. That can only be determined by where the fit is off. Can you tell if the mis-fit at at the upper or lower edge of the ferrule?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2017 07:30PM

I have seen this type of thing before. Sometimes the Internal taper of female ferrule narrows towards the tip and not does allow for the male ferrule to fully fit. So to get a good snug fit you may need to file a little off the tip of the male ferrule. Does not take a lot, a few mm is usually enough. See how it fits, if you still have a wobble take a little bit more off. This will usually fix the problem without any additional sanding.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 28, 2017 10:53PM

You need to ID where the problem is first , before you sand ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jon Strauss (41.228.170.---)
Date: November 29, 2017 11:31AM

Thanks everyone...
I will be working on it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Best Regards

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2017 12:58PM

Hello Jon.

If you get RodMaker magazine there is an article on ferrules called "Fitting Ferrules" in the Volume 13 Issue 1 Page 22 that will guide you through restoring ferrule fit on your rod.

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster