I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on a paracord handle-do I need to use CP?
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 09:08PM

I searched the forum concerning cord handles-specifically paracord handles, and have decided to finish the handles using Perma-Gloss. I've never used that before, and while I intend to test finish on a scrap blank, I was wondering if I need to apply CP to the cord before the finish? I'm not worried about how the finish will affect the color, just how it will adhere to the cord.
As always, thanks in advance for any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on a paracord handle-do I need to use CP?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2017 10:17PM

As long as there is no contaminants like silicone on the cord, you'll have no problems.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2017 11:05PM

perma gloss is xylene based and does a excellent job but it might eat some materials my preferred one step or no mix finish has become the rod dancer thread master as it is water based urethane and is as tough as the blank finish doesn't yellow over time remains clear uv protected and doesn't change the thread color you would have to apply several coats but no cp is needed

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Nick Lam (172.56.38.---)
Date: November 24, 2017 01:13AM

I prefer no coating at all. Finish and gloss flake and scratch off in pieces when covering a relatively soft material such as cord. The sign of use on tightly wrapped cord wears nicely. Also, I prefer Atwood cord and tarred seine twine over paracord, but to each their own though.

Nick

Posted by: darrel odland (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2017 07:08PM

Paul, I have done a few cord wraps recently, My opinion is this, I use flexcoat thread sealer generously on the cord. This helps bond the cord to rod in addition to the type glue you use. (I use two ton epoxy) Then to finish I use a Clear wood lacquer from a spray can bought at my local Ace Hardware. I agree with Nick as I to, think that the Atwood cord is much better, It is stiffer and has 2 more base cords making it less prone to flattening out when in use. Color selection is limited though. Let us know how your wraps turn out
"bent rods to ya"
Darrel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster