I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is a "hot-shot" rod
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.177.---)
Date: November 20, 2017 06:17PM

Or blank? Or, more specifically, what would such a blank be good for?

I thought I posted this earlier. Maybe the smart alec way I phrased the question annoyed somebody. My apologies, if that is the case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is a "hot-shot" rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 06:33PM

They are extra fast rods with a relatively light tip and a powerful butt section. Originally designed to fish hotshot plugs for salmon. Can be used for a lot of other types of fishing. [www.gloomis.com]
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2017 06:34PM

There is a type of lure known as a "Hot Shot" and the technique often called "hot shotting." These are typically trolled in river currents. Sometimes the boat is anchored and the current alone drives the plug down. These and similar type plugs and lures are usually trolled on light tipped, but very powerful mid-butt section rods. The difference in these and say a typical fast-action bass type rod is that the difference in tip power versus that of the rest of the rod is extreme. You could almost think of most Hot Shot rods as being overgrown popping rods to some degree.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 07:34PM

There was a time G Loomis built a particular hot shot blank as a salmon / steelhead rod, mag bass rod, walleye rod, and an inshore rod in the Green Water series. Of course the grip lengths were different for each application, and they could have been either casting, or spinning rods, but it was the same blank. Very versatile blanks.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.177.---)
Date: November 20, 2017 08:50PM

Thanks guys. Interesting info, since I have one on the way. I ordered two NFC blanks during Get Bit's sale. They had one of the two, but not the other. Got a call from Kevin, the owner, and ended up picking this blank to replace the out of stock blank I originally ordered.

By the way, hat's off to Kevin and Get Bit for superior customer service. Quite the polite young man.

So, I got a blank with the following numbers.

7'9" Mag-medium, ex-fast, 8-15lb, 1/4-5/8oz

the only thing I have in mind, at this time, is to cut at least 6" from the butt, and build a casting rod. Then figure out what I think it's good for.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 09:58PM

Ten years ago I built an experimental fly rod out of a 2-piece 8' Rainshadow hot-shot blank. It turned out to be an 11 wt. and it throws a nice cast.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 03:49PM

Hi - we actually have a Hot Shot rod kit where you pick your rod and handle type - if interested you can check it out here:
[www.mudhole.com]
Thanks...

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 03:51PM

Hello Gary.

I use them for live baiting for larger Red Drum (over 24") and Large Grey or Spec Trout (7+lb) on the heaver ones (HS 832 from Shikari or the IHS 832 from ATC) and the small ones (HS 7600L from Shikari or the IHS 7600 from ATC) I use for many things, like Jigging from piers for Blues & Spanish, Live baiting for Grey or Spec Trout & smaller Red Drum, Jigging artificial Shrimp for Trout.
I even used the 832's to catch SMALL Mahi-Mahi (2-10lb) with squid strips drifted behind the boat when I hit a small school offshore...
Many things can be done with a strong fast blank...

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 05:57PM

So for a guy who builds mostly bass rods where do these blanks fit the picture from a technique specificity standpoint?

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2017 09:51PM

I like fast, soft tipped popping blanks for topwater and jerkbaits. A hotshot blank would be along the same lines. may make a good rod for square bills too. The soft tip and backbone might be an option for drop shot rigs.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 10:09PM

It would be a shame to cut the blank down. What type of fishing do you do or what species. I have always liked the Extra Fast rods and Gary Loomis is the man when it comes to this rod action. That rod action has found its way into a lot of different fishing situations. Get the rod in your hand and let your mind wonder about the possibilities. I picked up 5 and wanted a couple of the one you have and the 8'2" for walleyes but, they were gone. Let us know what you decide.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2017 04:10PM

Lynn, going by Tom's description of the characteristics of the blank, (I've never handled one) I would think drop shot, and lighter wacky rigs. Something with a standard wire, or light wire exposed hook.

I'm not disagreeing with Mike when he says jerkbaits, but I personally don't like soft tipped rods for jerkbaits. I fish jerkbaits a lot for smallmouth bass, and there are times when you really need to rip the bait to get bit. A soft tipped rod makes it a lot more work, especially if you're making long casts. At least IMO it does

As for the blank that Gary picked out, I immediately think tube jigs, shaky heads, and smaller Texas rigs. I bet it will make a sweet little soft jerkbait rod as well.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2017 07:08AM

I mostly fish for bass, but do go after walleye, brown trout, and crappie. When Kevin first proposed this blank to me, my first thought was a bait rod. I make several trips to the White River every year chasing brown trout. And several more trips to ths Tennessee River for smallmouth. We drift live bait for both species. I said to myself, self, this may be just the ticket for those trips, and for my occasional walleye outing. So, it is nice to hear these type blanks are indeed used for bait applications.

I also thought maybe this would make a nice rod for fluke type baits, and any lighter weight jigs and plastics.

As far as trimming it down goes, I can't get a rod that long in the rod rack I have fitted into my car. It holds eight rods against the roof. An 8'rod fit when the rack was installed in a Jeep Commander. Sadly, that vehicle had almost 300K miles on it and had to go. The roof length in a Ford Edge is considerably shorter. A 7'2" rod just fits. A 7'9" rod will not.

Thanks for the info gent. I always get good answers on this site. I am looking forward to meeting some of the folks, whose valuable insights I've read here, at the Expo in February. It will be my first time, and I'm hoping to put some faces to the names.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster