I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy with Rookie Question
Posted by: Ed Holloway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2017 08:50AM

First off let me thank you all in advance for sharing your experiences and patience with me. I'm about to take my second retirement and wanted to try rod building to occupy my spare time.

Now for my "Rookie Question": I have an older Allstar rod that the clear coating is coming off all up and down the rod. Some places it's just flaking off. Really weird cause I have another identical rod that still looks as good as new.Should I remove the guides, sand it down and start all over again or is there another option??

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy with Rookie Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2017 10:29AM

It is hard to make spot repairs in these type cases, and overcoating everything usually results in the new coating just peeling up as the old one continues to lift and flake away.

If you really want to make the rod look good as new, then yes, strip it down and remove the rest of the old coating by scraping or light duty chemical peel, and refinish. It is also possible to refinished between the current guide wraps if you don't want to have to do a total rewrap of the rod.

Date: November 20, 2017 02:51PM

You mention using a chemical to remove the old finish. Which is better chemical or sanding?? In any case I will prolly remove the guides and completely rebuild the rod to make it look good cosmetically.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2017 03:34PM

Sanding can damage the blank. There is little margin for error in modern graphite rod blanks. I'd use something like Citristrip, although you may find that the old finish can be scraped off without much trouble.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 03:48PM

Ed,
That is what I would do. i.e. remove the guides, remove the finish by either sanding, citri strip, or a combination. When I sand, I generally use wet and dry in a bucket so that I can contain the water.

But for the bulk of finish removal, I just use a razor blade, held perpendicular to the blank and scrape the finish off the rod. Also, you can take a piece of glass, and while wearing gloves use the sharp edge of glass, or another option is to use a sharp edged ceramic tille to remove the finish. Both glass and ceramic work amazingly well to remove the finish.

Good luck

Date: November 23, 2017 08:58AM

I got the cork removed and found "loads" of epoxy underneath (Hood nut cracked had to replace it all). Will Citristrip remove the epoxy as well as the flaking finish??

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2017 11:55AM

Ed,
Doubt that the Citristrip will remove the epoxy.

But, the epoxy is easy to remove.

Take a heat gun or alcohol lamp, or butane cigarette lighter as a heat source to heat the epoxy. Combine that with a straight edges knife or a box cutter held perpendicular to the blank and epoxy. As the epoxy softens from the heat, just scrape the blank and epoxy in line with the blank and the blade held vertically. By holding the blade vertically, and scraping in the same direction as the length of the rod, you will not have to worry about the blade getting under a graphite fiber and stripping it from the rod blank.

With the right heat source you should be able to completely clean up the butt section of the rod blank is under 5 minutes.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster