I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy, Saying Hello
Posted by: Matthew Carter (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 05:24AM

Greetings everyone. I am just getting into rod building, or assembly that is. I have found some interesting information here. I hope that a novice floating around doesn't bother y'all. I found this site searching online for info regarding custom rods because there are certain builds I like but aren't sold anywhere. I know you all probably get lots of new comers asking all sorts of questions and was wondering something. I finally put together my first rod and am going to try it out this morning. If anything is off that I cannot figure out through independent research would it be inappropriate to ask on this forum? I really don't have any advice to offer and am more in the learning stages. The rod I built(assembled) is simple and I guess complete nonsense and haven't been able to get any input anywhere. If y'all don't have time I understand and still appreciate the opportunity to at least observe. Take care, guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy, Saying Hello
Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 07:59AM

Welcome aboard Matthew, and ask away.

Pat

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-174-229-136.myvzw.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 09:35AM

Very generous guys and gals here, Matthew. They patiently answered all of my questions when I began the sickness.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:13AM

Matthew,

There are no "stupid questions" on this site. You will learn more on here than any other site that you could research. I've been building rods for over 20 years and still continue to learn new things by reading the questions presented by others. I check it every morning.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:45AM

Build is the correct verb and builder the correct noun. There are rod designers, who are those who select blank materials, develop tapers, and define other specifications. There are makers, who are the folks who construct rod blanks and other components. Builders select the desired blank and components and build up a finished rod. A person or company can be one or more of the three entities. Clear as mud, right?

Ask away if you get stuck. Be warned this thing we do is equal parts art and science thus answers can be and often are diverse.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 10:57AM

Welcome Matthew.

And I couldn't agree more with what has been posted thus far. There are no stupid question. This is the best place you could have come to learn the art and craft of rod building. The members and owner of this site, as well as its sponsors, are second to none. The willingness they show in helping those new to the art and craft of building a fishing rod, is remarkable.

I am still relatively new to rod building, and virtually everything I've learned, I've learned on this site. I absolutely love this place, and you're going to love it to.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 01:27PM

Matt, Out of what union will you be working? I'd like to join.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 03:56PM

X 6 Welcome!!! Jaa

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 05:20PM

Hello Matthew.

You are welcome as are all who enjoy rod building.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Matthew Carter (---.texas.us.northamericancoax.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 08:26PM

Donald La Mar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Build is the correct verb and builder the correct
> noun. There are rod designers, who are those who
> select blank materials, develop tapers, and define
> other specifications. There are makers, who are
> the folks who construct rod blanks and other
> components. Builders select the desired blank and
> components and build up a finished rod. A person
> or company can be one or more of the three
> entities. Clear as mud, right?
>
> Ask away if you get stuck. Be warned this thing
> we do is equal parts art and science thus answers
> can be and often are diverse.

Ok. I was hesitant to say "build" because I didn't make any of the parts. Now I know the correct terminology. Thank you.

Posted by: Matthew Carter (---.texas.us.northamericancoax.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 09:32PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. The rod actually performed quite well so I don't have a long list of questions. I wanted to make light power, fast action, light weight, highly sensitive rod that could cast well and handle strong fighting fish if necessary. I was out today for 10 hours or so and the rod was only out of my hands for maybe 30 minutes total. Very simple build: SCV light fast 2 piece 7' blank(I had to go with St. Croix because I love my Avid M/F), 12" graphite Tennesee handle, and Microwave Guides (the first three spaced per instructions and I used 6 additional runners based off the AnglersResource static load tutorial). It still cast amazing the only issue being the leader knot (alberto) with 10lb braid to 8lb Fluoro. The sensitivity was unreal. To be any more sensitive psychic powers would be required. I know the blank played the main role but this was my first time taping a reel (1000 series) on a graphite handle which was at the very front. The main improvement to this I think is drop a guide and use a different thread. I used ProWrap Metallic Rod Winding thread except the top guide had some craft store stuff. I used 2 in 1 epoxy from Home Depot which is probably not a good thing. I read that guides attached with thread and epoxy can be removed without damaging the blank. Please tell me that is true! Do any of y'all have suggestions? It seems pretty simple but there is so much I know nothing about. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 12:56PM

With the epoxy you used, it is not going to be as easy to remove, than if you had used epoxy made for rod wrapping. They are vastly different!

I have not had experience trying to remove the adhesive type epoxy you used, but I would start by first warming the wrap using a hair dryer or heat gun, being careful not to get it too hot as that can damage the blank. Then cut the wrap on the top of the guide foot and see if you can peel the wrap off.

You will find you are much better off using materials made for rod building rather then items made for other purposes!

Date: November 20, 2017 04:29PM

As Phil said, it is not going to be easy removing the epoxy you used.. Personally I wouildn't even attempt removing it. Not on that blank. Mainly because it's painted. The chances of you getting that type of epoxy off without at least damaging the paint, is most likely going to be slim to none. If it's the stuff I am thinking about, that is some tough stuff.

Chalk it up as a learning experience, and move on. And as Phil said, use stuff that is made for building rods.

I am curious as to why you feel you need to drop a guide though? Just because a guide kit comes with a certain number of guides, doesn't mean it's the correct number of guides. Static load, and how closely you want the line to follow the curve of the blank, is what is going to determine the number of guides you need. The person assembling the guide kit doesn't know what the power or action of the blank you're putting the guides on. And both of those factors are going to play into the number of guides you need as well.

Don't just assemble the rod. Build the rod.

As far as suggestions go, I don't want to seem harsh, but I will go back to what Phil said. Use the materials that are made for building rods. They are formulated for use on fishing rods. Also do some research on here using the search function, and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how stupid you think they are. The only stupid question. is the one not asked.

I've asked some pretty stupid questions on this site over the years, and never once has a member made me feel silly for asking it. Quite the contrary. I know I said it earlier in this thread, but I'll say it again.

The members and owner of this site are some of the most kind and helpful people I have ever encountered. They will go out of their way to help someone out. Either here in the forum, or in personal e mails.

This is the absolute best site on the web when it comes to custom rod building.

This place rocks!!

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2017 04:43PM

Good advice here.

Removing guide wraps aren’t easy especially a painted high modulus rod blank. Since it fishes well I would leave it alone too.

Posted by: Matthew Carter (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2017 02:59AM

Phil - This information is why I need to learn from y'all on this site. The first time I replaced some guides on a rod all I read and all that was mentioned in videos was "epoxy". I didn't know there was a special rod building type. I hope the difference isn't inclusive of me ruining a nice blank. Now that I am gaining insight I will focus on technique and purpose specific materials.

David - I wished to have one less guide because I felt there could be a possible interference with overall performance and if a part existed on the rod that was unnecessary to function and not a form of decoration it ought to be removed. Although this is a practical concept, after further thought I feel the setup is correct. Not because of the epoxy (haha) but because of the satisfaction with performance. I was fortunate enough to engage with a fish that puts up a significant fight and was of very good size for its species allowing for a practical assessment of the rod and would have to say the guide numbers and placement are fine.

Date: November 21, 2017 05:45PM

Mathew, while the weight of an extra guide and its accompanying thread and finish will have an affect on a rod's performance, it can also enhance its performance. If you look at the forum list there is a thread titled "Relative weight". If you haven't read it yet, you may want to give it a read. You'll see it has to do with what affect added weight, has on a rods performance. In it, members of the site discuss their philosophies of building a rod.

You'll notice some interesting thoughts and questions posed. It's a good read and one that you might find helpful on your future builds.

As far as the term epoxy goes. I won't say calling thread finish an epoxy is wrong, because it isn't. But really its just a finish that you put over the guide wrap threads to protect them. It's not meant as an adhesive. Does it have some adhesive value? Sure it does, but not much. It's as I said .... it's just there to protect the read. The owner of this site, Tom Kirkman, has posted more than a few times about how you could fish a rod with just unfinished thread holding the guides on, and it would fish fine. The problem would come when the thread became damaged.

Anyhow ....... do some reading on this site. Either using the search function for specific terms, or if you like what you've read from a particular member, you can search for posts by that member. Also just going back through the pages and reading can teach you a lot. Even threads that you may not think would concern you. I have found a lot of hidden gems of information in threads that I initially just read for something to do.

And ask those questions ............ there are a lot of great guys here that are more than willing to help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster