I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Issue with Single Foot Minima SV Guides, possible defect?
Posted by: Adam Winters (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 02:19AM

Hoping I could get some opinions from someone more familiar with these guides. Ordered some of these recently (Hard Chrome TiGold) and the insert is not bent around the frame as I'm assuming it's supposed to be, one side or the other is molded to the frame but not both. I happened to have a set from last year (hard chrome) that has both sides molded to the frame, so I guess my question is is this a defect or the new standard (a poor one IMO) for these guides? Anyone who uses these on a regular basis ever see this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issue with Single Foot Minima SV Guides, possible defect?
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 05:15AM

Minima 3 vs 4, the 3 the insert is single swaged into the frame. Minima 4 guides the insert is double swaged into the frame. Half way down the page Minima guides -------------------------------------------- [www.merricktackle.com] Whats the rod being set-up for? I believe all the new ones are double swaged, Old stock maybe?? I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Great Guides!! Never had a problem with 3's when used. Jaa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 05:47AM by Jay Dubay.

Date: November 18, 2017 06:58AM

Interesting, now that I look at the sku number there is a 3 and 4 distinction, would be nice if mudhole made some type of distinction on their product page other than having to look at the sku.

"Whats the rod being set-up for?" Just a little travel rod, I'm sure they'll function fine (now that I know it's intentional) I know I won't be able to stand them aesthetically though. So even the newer 3's are supposedly being double swaged? I guess I should send mudhole an email and see exactly what's available now that I know what I need, Thanks for the help.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 11:44AM

Adam,
I built a couple of rods with Minima 3 - single swaged guides and ended up with guide issues.

After that, I have used only the Minima 4 - when using the Minima guides and coldn't be more pleased.

Good luck

Date: November 18, 2017 12:20PM

Appreciate your input, that's really good to know.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 01:34PM

I have had issues with 3's also. Sharp edges that could and did cut line. Be nice if they were done away with. It seems you get good and bad ones. My problem was with F-guides , never had SV's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 01:36PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: November 19, 2017 10:46AM

Just want to update this thread after contacting mudhole, I was informed that they indeed do not carry double swaged tigold guides, so it's probably safe to assume that black tigold and black hard chrome are also non existent in the double swagged configuration, unless anyone's come across them?

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2017 07:34PM

Not sure if this would be of help, Utmost carries titanium black frame with tiblack ring in the 4 style.

Date: November 20, 2017 10:00AM

Thanks Gary, I may end up going with these, I'll have to shoot them an email after I get everything else together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster