I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip guide wrap
Posted by: Momo Zaki (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2017 05:15PM

Hello,

Finally I sorted out the blank issue I had and started installing the guides. Now I have a question about the tip guide wrapping. It seems to me that the tip guide is attached to the blank by the adhesive between the inside of the tube of the guide and the surface of the blank. Then what is the purpose of the thread wrapping at the tip guide? Only for decoration? I am not sure, but it looks to me that usually the wrapping starts at 1/2-1/4 inch below the end of the tube of the guide and comes right at the end of the tube, so the wrapping itself doesn't seem to be doing anything to keep the tip guide on the end of the blank... Only thing is that the thread wrapping fills step from the abrupt diameter change between the tube and the blank. Maybe this will help to uniformly distribute the load to the tip section of the blank, but I don't know...

Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip guide wrap
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2017 05:28PM

You are correct! The wrapping at the tip top is just cosmetic, it does not hold the tip top in place, the tip top adhesive does that. Your choice as to whether or not to wrap it.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2017 06:15PM

As Norm said, it's just cosmetic. I personally do a tip wrap just to keep the look all the way to the tip.

If you'd rather not do a wrap there and are concerned about the change in diameter from blank to the tube of the tip top, just put a little thread wrap epoxy on it. The amount of weight it, or a wrap and epoxy are minimal. It isn't going to hurt the rods performance.

It's more of an ease of finishing kind of thing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2017 09:21PM

Momo,
Lots of folks build rods and never put any wraps on the tips and they look great.

Your choice.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 01:53AM

Any thoughts about

1. When on the edge of a backlash and having the shock knot temporarily snag on the edge of the tube.

2. Having the hot melt glue soften when the tiptop heats in the sun and having the tiptop rotate.
Two possible solutions are having the wrap extend onto the tube or use the Fuji guide with a tang.

Don Becker

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 06:59AM

I always do a wrap at the tip, it looks like you didn't finish the job without it in my eyes. When I apply the finish, I run it up on the tube a little ways, just a cheap insurance policy in case the adhesive fails.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 18, 2017 08:14AM

Agree with Don and Jay.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-174-229-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 18, 2017 09:29AM

To me the rid looks unfinished with a wrap at the tip. JMO

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: November 19, 2017 09:54PM

Momo
You do not say the type of rod you are building,
I only build fly rods. - so I don't wish to add weight to the tip of the rod.

I just run a little thread finish around he ti[p-top nd it looks very nice.
Herb
>'

Posted by: Momo Zaki (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2017 11:49PM

Dear all,

All great inputs and suggestions! It is an ice fishing rod and adding minor weight is not an issue.
Also obviously no casting with this rod... I am more of a practical person, so I will see how it would
do without tip wrapping. I am guessing if I would not like the way it looks, I can always wrap
the area later, correct?

Thank you very much!

Momo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster