I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mud Hole grab bag need help
Posted by: Dave Morton (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 10, 2017 07:33PM

My grab bag special of 20 rods from MudHole arrived today. I didn't realize they wouldn't have any labels on them. I have a collection of 20 rods with no identification on them. How do I figure out which ones to build as spinning rods and which ones as casting. They are all between 5'6" to 7' - Actions/Powers vary. How would I go about figuring a rods action or power and then determine what to use the blank for. Any help would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mud Hole grab bag need help
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:04PM

the thing to do is call mudhole

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 09:20PM

All of the rods can be used for either spinning or casting, that would be your choice. You can get a quick idea as to the action and power just by putting a bend in the rod. If you want something more objective you can do a quick CCS analysis of the Blanks. Just go to the Common Cents Info at the top of Sponsors column to the left.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-216-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 10, 2017 10:01PM

Hi Dave,

As Norman said, flex them yourself to get an idea of power. Then, build them however you want: casting, spinning, short stout fly rods, meat lines, etc.

Take care,

Chris

Date: November 10, 2017 10:36PM

I appreciate the help thanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 10:52PM

As a note , those no name blanks can be made into some very nice and functional rods that are extremely inexpensive, but still a lot of fun to fish.
Norm

Date: November 10, 2017 11:25PM

I built rods back in the late 70's & early 80's. Decided to get back into the rod building game and thought it would be some good practice by making some rods for the extended family with these MudHole grab bag rods. I was taken back a bit though when 20 different rods arrived today with no idea what they were originally intended for and no idea where to start. I will give MudHole a call on Monday for some assistance. Glad I got some here as well
Thanks
Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 11:48AM

Dave,
Another thing that you can do with your situation is to go to a rod shop that has a good variety of rods.

Bring along your blanks and find an existing built up rod that matches the blank that is in your hand.

I have done this a couple of times in the past when I had a question or two about an unmarked blank that I wanted to build into a rod.

Before going, separate the blanks by lengths, actions, and power. If you have some identical blanks put a piece of tape on the identical blanks with a name that you generate. Then, match one of the identical blanks, and you will have the model for all of the identical blanks.

Also, if you don't have one, purchase a good caliper. Use the caliper the measure the tip as well as the butt diameter.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2017 05:03PM

At some point you'll be able to hoist and shake a blank and immediately know what you'd like to use it for. This will come with a bit more experience, but'll come nonetheless.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster