I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KW series guide sizes
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 07:05PM

I want to build a 7'6" steelhead casting rod and use the Fuji KW series guides. My first thoughts are to use a 12, then an 8, then the KB series in size 5 and then the KT series also in size 5. The blank will be a MHX HM904. Does this seem reasonable? I am trying to keep this as light as is possible.
Any and all opinions from those that have used these guides before will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance/
Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KW series guide sizes
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 07:39PM

I would use a KW 10 as the stripper followed by a KW6 as the transition guide and then KB/KT5 as runners. You can now get a Fuji LG Alconite micro tip top with a 5 ring in the new BC or CC finish. If you want to go lighter I would use KW10, KW5.5: and KB/KT4.5 runners, with a size 4.5 ring tip top. These guides are great, real performance enhancers. Hope this helps. Oh by the way if you are planning on using titanium frame K guides than you can use the RV6 as the stripper in lieu of the KW10.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2017 07:57PM

Which HM blank are you using? There's more than one 904.

Date: November 10, 2017 08:09PM

Thanks Norman, that RV6 sounds pretty interesting with the KW6 transition guide. I don't think I want to go smaller than the KB/KT 5 runners but the combination using the RV and the KW sounds pretty intriguing.
Now off to Mudhole....
Thanks a bunch,
Lynn

Date: November 10, 2017 08:19PM

Spencer, I want to use the High Modulus HM-P904-MHX.. I know it isn't necessarily a Steelhead blank but I like that type of action because of the extra fast tip and the rigid butt. Would be interested in your thoughts though.
Thanks.
Lynn

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2017 11:54AM

You can use the RV6 then all runners in size 5 even if the runners are stainless steel. The finishes are so close you most likely won't be able to tell that one is titanium. So it would be RV6, however many KB's you want, then KT's. I would use at least 3 KB's on a casting rod. This combo is what Fuji recommends, KR6 then all runners the same size. At least that used to be their recommendation. I've built a number of them, all work well. Be sure you get the RV6 oriented correctly. It looks backward, but that's why they call it "reverse." I'm not sure after putting one on backward that it makes a significant difference.

Date: November 12, 2017 06:27PM

Thanks Michael, I had wondered if the RV was to be put on backwards because of the description of "reverse". I am looking forward to trying this guide setup as it is new to me. Always interested in trying something new and different. Kind of like the first time I used a size 5 guide on a fly rod and thought it looked so small, but it worked and I couldn't of been happier.
Thanks for your input,
Lynn

Date: November 12, 2017 07:24PM

I have used the RV6 on three casting rod and they work great. Single foot toward the reel. The ring has a slight slope forward like the Fuji K guides which helps to shed loops, and the single ft toward the reel supposedly helps prevent line slap against the guide frame. On one of these rods I used a size 5.5KB as the transition guide followed by 4.5KB/KT runners. For the other two rods I used KW5.5 as the transition guides followed by the runners. Both set ups worked great, but I like the double KW 5.5 transition guide for heavier powered rods. The RV6 is the same height at the base of the ring as the KW10.
Norm

Date: November 12, 2017 08:57PM

Norm
For lack of any other reason to use the size 5's was that the 5.5's were out of stock. As it turns out I ordered 3 of the KB 5's and one was on back order anyway. Looks as it I out smarted myself. Mudhole has always been a great source for Fuji titanium guides so as slow as I go I'm sure it will show up before I need it. Thanks for the feedback.
Lynn

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2017 09:45PM

There's reason to think you're making a good choice there, that type rod and action might make a nice twitching rod also for coho. That length and power rod is also popular in Alaska with the locals.

Date: November 12, 2017 09:59PM

The size 5’s will work perfectly fine. Hopefully you will not have to wai too long for your backorder to arrive.
Norm

Date: November 13, 2017 09:28AM

Thanks for your advice on my project. I got the idea for a 7'6" casting rod for steelhead from a friend that had a G-Loomis IMX rod in that length that he really liked. Unfortunately all of his fishing tackle and his house were lost in the fires that ravaged the Coffey Park area here in Santa Rosa. I gave him a few rods that I had built plus some reels that were in good shape so he could get back on the water. We both felt better when He received his new tackle. I'll build him a new rod to replace the one He lost when time and money become available. There are times in life when you realize how much you have when you meet someone that has been left with very little. Maybe now we can finally get out and do some fishing like we have talked about doing for quite some time and never had the chance.
Thanks again Guys,
Lynn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster